Results 1 to 1 of 1
08-18-2011, 01:33 PM #1
- Join Date
- Jun 2003
- Card Cash
- Blog Entries
- 10 View my Inventory New
View my store Beta
SCF Official Review: 2010/11 Panini Gold Standard
First and foremost, I'd like to thank our sponsors at Panini for providing us with this box.
1 pack per box
12 cards per pack
Current Retail Price (online): $139.99 - $169.99
- 3 Autographs (#'d to 299 or less)
- 2 Memorabilia Cards (#'d 299 or less)
- 4 Golds(Commons) #'d to 299 or less
- Three Other Inserts
Find Instant-Win Golden Tickets!
Good for one of 5 unique prizes including a face-to-face meeting with Kobe Bryant!
- Two Autographed Gold Logoman Patches per case
- Two Autographed Gold NBA Team Logo Patches per case
- Each case contains one Gold Rush insert, featuring a piece of real 14 Karat Gold and serial #'d to 10 or less (Autograph and Non-Autograph versions)
- Find one Dual-Signed Autograph card per case. Autograph duals include Kobe Bryant/Kevin Durant, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar/Bill Walton, Magic Johnson/Larry Bird, Bill Russell/Jerry West and Elgin Baylor/Oscar Robertson among others.
- Each case yields at least one Autograph from among Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant or Bill Russell
- 192-Card Set comprised of 162 Gold (Commons) and 30 Autographed Rookies
- Find one of 50 "Solid Gold" 14 Karat Panini 50th Anniversary Gold Cards, each #'d 1/1!
- Each pack contains either a Gold Rookie Autograph (#'d/299 or less), a Gold NBA Logoman Manufactured Patch Autograph (#'d/199 or less) or a Gold NBA Team Logo Manufactured Patch Autograph (#'d/199 or less)
- On-Card Autographs of Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant, as well as 2010-11 Rookies
- All Cards and Inserts #'d to 299 or less
- Look for Autographed Platinum Rookies (#'d/25) and Autographed Black Gold Rookies (#'d 1/1)
WHAT WE PULLED
Base /299 (3): Luis Scola, Chauncey Billups, Alonzo Mourning
Gold Crowns /299 (1): Deron Williams
Gold Medalists /299 (1): Dwyane Wade
Gold Nuggets /299 (1): Antawn Jamison
Golden Threads /299 (1): Sam Jones/Rajon Rondo
Andre Miller Autograph /199
Gary Forbes Autograph /299
Champions Richard Hamilton Jersey/Autograph /49
Gold Crowns Serge Ibaka Jersey /249
Gold Stars Andrea Bargnani Jersey /99
Base - 4/5
Design - 5/5
Fun - 4/5
Value - 3/5
Rebuy - 2.5/5
Total - 18.5/25 (74%)
Hoping to raise the bar among mid to high-end release, Panini unveils a nugget called Gold Standard. To accentuate the theme of Gold Standard, each box is designed in the shape of a gold bar. Inside, there's one pack containing 12 cards. There are three base cards, four insert and 5 relic or autographs. A huge bonus is all cards are numbered to 299 or less.
All the various subsets carry the theme of "Gold". It works really well for sets such as Gold Nuggets and Gold Medallists, but then there are stretches with Gold Crowns and Golden Threads. With USA Basketball always being at the forefront of Summer Olympic followers in the US, Gold Medallists is a great encapsulation of the athletes who have represented the red, white and blue.
There was a lot of hype that came with Gold Standard, including a story by ESPN. However, if this is the "gold standard", then collectors are in store for a future of subpar products. There's always an air of excitement when cracking open a box with only one pack. The feeling of multiple hits and great cards all in one shot is a huge turn-on for collectors. But while the design and the look are nice, I really question the subjects. I realize not every box is going to be the proverbial "slam dunk" box, but when I think of the "gold standard", I imagine a set where guys like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Derrick Rose, etc., are the focus of the release. Instead, we are treated to insert sets with Antawn Jamison and hit sets with Richard Hamilton and Andre Miller. No offense to those athletes, but they are not the "gold standard" in basketball. While I know there are some who will break multiple boxes and/or cases and some who will love this product, for most collectors, this is one they are likely to pass on.
Once again, I'd like to thank our wonderful sponsors at Panini for giving us the opportunity to open and review this release. For more information on all their products, visit them today at www.paniniamerica.net.