Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BANNED

Country
    See lindat32's Items on eBay

Yay Rick Snyder now the rest can follow suit

Mich. governor signs 48-month welfare limit

http://news.yahoo.com/mich-governor-...HRlc3QD;_ylv=3

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

A hollow signing.

He noted that the state still will help the poor by offering food stamps, health care coverage through Medicaid, child care and emergency services.

All he did was place a 4-year limit on cash disbursements. They still receive foodstamps, Medicaid, HUD, WIC, etc. for an indefinite time.

It's a step in the right direction but not true welfare reform.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I remember several years ago when clinton was in office he was talking about able bodied walfare reciepents being required to work. What ever happened to that?
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I remember several years ago when clinton was in office he was talking about able bodied walfare reciepents being required to work. What ever happened to that?

They did it but I don't think it lasted long. If memory serves me correctly it was called the "Welfare to Work" program.

I don't know if they still do it but a major flaw was that for every dollar you made they immediately took a dollar of assistance away. If you made $50 at work then you got $50 less in assistance. You could never get a single dollar ahead to try and pick yourself up. So all you were ever able to earn was what welfare gave you and you remained at the poverty level. The only way to truly get off of welfare was to get a high paying job.

SCF Rewards
    Country

They did it but I don't think it lasted long. If memory serves me correctly it was called the "Welfare to Work" program.

I don't know if they still do it but a major flaw was that for every dollar you made they immediately took a dollar of assistance away. If you made $50 at work then you got $50 less in assistance. You could never get a single dollar ahead to try and pick yourself up. So all you were ever able to earn was what welfare gave you and you remained at the poverty level. The only way to truly get off of welfare was to get a high paying job.

I see, it was a good idea just poorly executed. It pretty much was a disentive from working. A better idea would have been to require welfare recipients to attend school or traning and if they don't keep their grades up their benefits would be cut. After graduation they would be given job placement assistance and they would have to prove that they are serious about looking for a job and working just like you do when you are on unemployment.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I guess something like welfare reform would have to go in baby steps. I like the idea of limiting the assistance.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I see, it was a good idea just poorly executed. It pretty much was a disentive from working. A better idea would have been to require welfare recipients to attend school or traning and if they don't keep their grades up their benefits would be cut. After graduation they would be given job placement assistance and they would have to prove that they are serious about looking for a job and working just like you do when you are on unemployment.

They did that as well but less people took that opportunity. To my knowledge (I have no stats) most people just plugged away at a minimum wage job and took whatever they got from the welfare system to supplement.

My wife and I actually discussed the WtW program a few weeks ago and agreed that for it to be successful it needs to stop penalizing people for earning money. We thought it would be a good idea to wean people off of welfare by taking nothing from them the first month that they work, taking 50% of what they earn from their benefits the 2nd month and then taking 100% of what they earn in month 3. That way they get a chance to build a little cash stash to fall back on if they lose a few hours at work.

The only exception would be if someone got a job making more than their welfare benefits was. Then they would be off cold-turkey.

SCF Rewards
    Country

They did that as well but less people took that opportunity. To my knowledge (I have no stats) most people just plugged away at a minimum wage job and took whatever they got from the welfare system to supplement.

My wife and I actually discussed the WtW program a few weeks ago and agreed that for it to be successful it needs to stop penalizing people for earning money. We thought it would be a good idea to wean people off of welfare by taking nothing from them the first month that they work, taking 50% of what they earn from their benefits the 2nd month and then taking 100% of what they earn in month 3. That way they get a chance to build a little cash stash to fall back on if they lose a few hours at work.

The only exception would be if someone got a job making more than their welfare benefits was. Then they would be off cold-turkey.

Don't make it optional. If you are going to accept gov't funds you have to play by the gov't rules which should including manditory schooling and drug screening. People act like they are being punished if there are asked to do something that is going to better themselves and their families.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

They were given a choice, either work or education. By not taking the opportunity I mean that a majority chose work over the education.

SCF Rewards
    Country

They were given a choice, either work or education. By not taking the opportunity I mean that a majority chose work over the education.

I got you. They should only offer education because min wage jobs will not get anyone off of welfare.