Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See onepimptiger's Items on eBay

AP Fact Check: Obama's "Jobs" Speech not so factful

FACT CHECK: Obama's jobs plan paid for? Seems not

OBAMA: "Everything in this bill will be paid for. Everything."

THE FACTS: Obama did not spell out exactly how he would pay for the measures contained in his nearly $450 billion American Jobs Act...

Essentially, the jobs plan is an IOU from a president and lawmakers who may not even be in office down the road when the bills come due...

Currently, roughly all federal taxes and other revenues are consumed in spending on various federal benefit programs, including Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, veterans' benefits, food stamps, farm subsidies and other social-assistance programs and payments on the national debt. Pretty much everything else is done on credit with borrowed money.

So there is no guarantee that programs that clearly will increase annual deficits in the near term will be paid for in the long term.

OBAMA: "Everything in here is the kind of proposal that's been supported by both Democrats and Republicans, including many who sit here tonight."

THE FACTS: Obama's proposed cut in the Social Security payroll tax does seem likely to garner significant GOP support. But Obama proposes paying for the plan in part with tax increases that have already generated stiff Republican opposition...

OBAMA: "It will not add to the deficit."

THE FACTS: It's hard to see how the program would not raise the deficit over the next year or two because most of the envisioned spending cuts and tax increases are designed to come later rather than now, when they could jeopardize the fragile recovery...Perhaps Obama meant to say that, in the long run, his hoped-for programs would not further increase the national debt, not annual deficits.

OBAMA: "The American Jobs Act answers the urgent need to create jobs right away."

THE FACTS: Not all of the president's major proposals are likely to yield quick job growth if adopted.

And one they left out: Obama started the speech by saying this is not a political plan...seriously? A politician giving a political speech about a political plan? Gimme a break...surely Americans are that dumb?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spaz4's Items on eBay

Pretty much spot on. Don't think it's any different from most presidential proposals though.

I have issues with one thing: God forbid we have ANY new tax increases of any kind, but don't worry, we'll further cut the amount that we pay into social security, because yeah, that program is doing just fine. I don't understand Republicans sometimes.

BANNED

Country
    See lindat32's Items on eBay

Americans dumb, maybe not, borderline retarded more than likely.. Seriously people wake the heck up, open your eye before it too late, Oh yeah they must be deaf as well..... Anyone remember when it was America the great instead of America slightly above mediocre

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco Giants
    See sanfran22's Items on eBay

Pretty much spot on. Don't think it's any different from most presidential proposals though.

I have issues with one thing: God forbid we have ANY new tax increases of any kind, but don't worry, we'll further cut the amount that we pay into social security, because yeah, that program is doing just fine. I don't understand Republicans sometimes.

Truth is, we are probably going to have to have tax increases soon unless the gov't can substantially cut (unlikely).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spaz4's Items on eBay

Truth is, we are probably going to have to have tax increases soon unless the gov't can substantially cut (unlikely).

I dunno man. Republicans won't let tax increases go through, and the Democrats are so reluctant to cut anything. They don't seem to realize (though pretty much EVERY economist does) that they're going to have to do both in the near future. Cut first, no doubt. Trimming waste is easier than stomaching tax increases. But once we start making significant cuts, start cutting out some of the loopholes and unnecessary tax deductions (why should Warren Buffett qualify for the mortgage deduction? Means test that crap!).

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Big surprise here. Obama's plan is to spend 1/2 a trillion dollars and he has no idea where the money is coming from and no plan to pay for the spending.

Where have I heard this before??...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See duwal's Items on eBay

Americans dumb, maybe not, borderline retarded more than likely.. Seriously people wake the heck up, open your eye before it too late, Oh yeah they must be deaf as well..... Anyone remember when it was America the great instead of America slightly above mediocre

America's still providing a great life for me. If you think your life is mediocre maybe you should change something about it?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco Giants
    See sanfran22's Items on eBay

America's still providing a great life for me. If you think your life is mediocre maybe you should change something about it?

Myself as well, but I don understand what he is saying and somewhat agree. Although I'm sure it's for different reasons. That being said, I don't think we are the country we used to be for varying reasons.....

BANNED

Country

My life is good, at one time it was too good. For millions living in dispair that needs changing, from mentally ill left untreated and homeless to Seniors seeing their life long investments dwindiling because of peoples lack of ethics. I actually have deep involment in various causes. Almost daily the Gov't takes more, cuts deeper while making their pockets fatter and fatter on your hard earned $, We are poisioning the land and the river and destroying our childrens futures and we do nothing and so on and so on. People just turn a blind eye and think if they ignore it then it can't be happening. Ignorance is not bliss people

I live by a simple ethics code the 2 main being

1. No person deserves to know hunger or thirst, seriously its amazing how much we waste in this society is disgusting we could be feeding so many...

2 everyone has the right to be loved and respected, live a dignified life, no one should have to live in shame. Too often we pass by those who truly need help, often it can be a kind word or gesture that works the best, even a smile can go a long way and costs nothing......

BANNED

Country

big surprise here. Obama's plan is to spend 1/2 a trillion dollars and he has no idea where the money is coming from and no plan to pay for the spending.

Where have i heard this before??...

+1