Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 269 of 556 FirstFirst ... 169219259266267268269270271272279319369 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,690 of 5556

Thread: Philly INK

SCF Rewards
    Country

i said my peace. i know he probably didn't mean it in a malicious way (since he did say "in that context"), but it was unnecessary in my opinion. anyway, no more comments from me on the matter after this.

You mean said your piece? Hahaha I crack myself up.

My point was- you were calling someone else out for being an idiot, and you yourself sounded like an idiot. I was more responding to you being harsh, and lampooning you for that, than calling you an idiot.

Anyways, back to autographing.

SCF Rewards
    Country

My point was- you were calling someone else out for being an idiot, and you yourself sounded like an idiot. I was more responding to you being harsh, and lampooning you for that, than calling you an idiot.

NO, i mean 'PEACE'! now you look like the idiot. and i'll back up my proper usage of the word with reference to enlighten you, up on your high-horse:

The evolution of the English language in its various forms allows for both, especially when we take into account a) the lack of historical standardization of language prior to the proliferation of dictionaries and also b) the sometimes arbitrary choices that have been made by early dictionary writers. These factors have caused a lot of confusion in etymology and at the same time, the evolution of language through new uses of words passing into the colloquial and then becoming accepted as literary through sheer frequency of use, is also worth acknowledging.

The phrase "say your peace" pertains to saying "that which will give you satisfaction or peace of mind."

In the related reference to "hold your peace" from the traditional wedding vow, "peace" in this instance most likely refers to "pact" meaning the wedding contract, which historically involved dowry and various conditions that had to be met before the marriage could actually occur. Therefore to "forever hold your peace" would mean to publicly "agree to your contract" without further objection and thus tacitly acknowledge the fulfillment of that contract.

Alternatively, the usage of "piece" likely derives either from Germanic applications of the word "stück" and its possible use at various points in the history of the English language or it may have been introduced through colloquial use possibly through the common adoption of journalistic terminology as in "opinion piece" "think piece" or "piece of writing". The phrases "piece of music" and "piece of art" also come to mind.

To "say your peace" means to say that which will satisfy some important issue or at least satisfy the need to let it be known.

To "say your piece" means simply to say "that thing you want to say" and it could be as simplistic as that.

Either work, but they have different sentiments.

SCF Rewards
    Country

and i never called anyone an idiot. i said his comment was asinine. big difference. everyone's prone to making asinine comments...it doesn't make them an idiot. just like everyone is prone to a spelling or grammatical error...it doesn't make them a moron.

SCF Rewards
    Country

SCF Rewards
    Country

anyway back to why i came on the board today:

Jon Dorenbos will be at EHT Chickie's tomorrow for the radio show from 6-7pm

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (46)
    Country
    See Brudsie9's Items on eBay

Bobby Taylor 11-10-12 1-3 $20 per auto

Brad Marsh 11-24-12 1-230 $20 per auto

both at carls cards

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (46)
    Country

Bill Barber, Bob Kelly, Terry Murray, Frank Bialowas 9-29-12 free signing flyers skate zone 1230-130

SCF Rewards
    Country

Bill Barber, Bob Kelly, Terry Murray, Frank Bialowas 9-29-12 free signing flyers skate zone 1230-130

Which skatezone, Voorhees?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (46)
    Country

Yup Voorhees. Not sure ill make it though im going to mab show same day

Which skatezone, Voorhees?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yup Voorhees. Not sure ill make it though im going to mab show same day

Yea, I'm going to MAB too, going for Milt at 10, and a couple others including the free Retzlaf @ 2, so there will be time to kill. Hopefully I see you there

Page 269 of 556 FirstFirst ... 169219259266267268269270271272279319369 ... LastLast