Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: NFL Helmet's autograph

SCF Rewards
    Country

NFL Helmet's autograph

When you have a full size helmet autograph do you typically go with the Replica or authentic helmet?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jyosi3's Items on eBay

Replica. The price is just insanely different. Only time I get authentic is if I want a revolution or speed helmet because they don't make those in replica.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I was leaning towards the replica, I was curious what other people do.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Go with authentic. Depending on who you sign they are worth more. You can find cheap ones on ebay especially in the offseason. But the authentics just look nicer IMO

SCF Rewards
    Country

yea, depends. i have replica ones i use for collecting various players from a certain team. if i were to get a HOFer or try for some specific theme i might get an authentic (if i had the money for it), expect to pay 2-3x more tho.
    ...also the replica ones don't really fit well on most adult's heads which is kinda disappointing if you want to wear it around the house on sundays

SCF Rewards
    Country

The signature would be from Ray Lewis. I found a couple helmets on Amazon for around $200.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See terpsfan325's Items on eBay

it all comes down to personal preference. i went to a show and got a ray lewis full-sized replica helmet with "super bowl xxv mvp" inscription for $150 with JSA witnessed certification from a reputable dealer i've worked with before, and it looks amazing. i didn't see the point in paying $200-$300 for the helmet and another $99 for the signature (i think is what he charges for premiums) but if you really want the satisfaction of knowing that it is authentic, by all means go for it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

it all comes down to personal preference. i went to a show and got a ray lewis full-sized replica helmet with "super bowl xxv mvp" inscription for $150 with JSA witnessed certification from a reputable dealer i've worked with before, and it looks amazing. i didn't see the point in paying $200-$300 for the helmet and another $99 for the signature (i think is what he charges for premiums) but if you really want the satisfaction of knowing that it is authentic, by all means go for it.

Thanks for the post. The Lewis auto is $79 for any item. I figured I buy it now. Once he goes into the HoF the price will only go up.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jyosi3's Items on eBay

Go with authentic. Depending on who you sign they are worth more. You can find cheap ones on ebay especially in the offseason. But the authentics just look nicer IMO

Are they really worth more or do they just cost more because the helmet itself costs more in the first place? You did say depending on who is signing it so there may be a few instances where the analysis I am about to show isn't true, but everything I looked at on the UDA website had a higher profit margin for replica vs. authentic. And as always it is about personal preference so there is nothing wrong with liking one over the other. I just wanted to show some math because I'm a nerd.

Direct from Riddell I get Replica helmets for $60 and authentic for $160.

Upperdeck sells replica Tony Romo helmets for $519.99 and authentics for $669.99.

519.99/60= 865% mark up on the cost of the replica. gross profit $459.99, profit margin= 88%
    669.99/160= 419% mark up on the cost of an authentic. gross profit $509.99, profit margin= 76%

Looking at it from an accountant's point of view the replica is a better investment if you are looking for which is "worth more." I know I am ignoring the signing fee here, but you can get 2 replica helmets for $120 total and in the Tony Romo example sell them for 1039.98 total or you could buy 1 authentic for $160 and sell it for $669.99. With the replicas you can spend less and sell for more.

For the sake of preventing an argument about signing fees let's assume $75 per signature.
    Replica- 60+75= $135, 519.99/135= 385% markup, gross profit $384.99, profit margin= 74%
    Authentic- 160+75= $235, 669.99/235= 285% markup, gross profit $434.99, profit margin= 65%

You can see the difference in the profit margin only shrunk a little bit, but the margin on the replica is still higher meaning you can spend less and sell for more. What it looks like to me is that authentics aren't really "worth more", UDA just needs to cover a certain margin so they have to sell them for a higher gross profit.
    Last edited by jyosi; 10-25-2011 at 09:26 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See nextspeed's Items on eBay

I'd go with a replica full-sized helmet as opposed to an authentic one simply because the replica helmet doesn't have the ventilation holes on the top of the helmet, which could restrict a player's signature on the signing area. Also, the replica looks super nice with an individual player's autograph or as a piece for a team-signed project.