Question about TTM Auto's from those who charge.

30-35 years ago (wow, that seems so long ago when I look at it), I used to send for ttm autographs quite often. With great success I might add. Sadly as the years passed I have lost most of these due to various circumstances which I will not get into. As a new member to this site/forum, one of the first things I noticed was the large amount of attention ttm auto's get on here. I immediately remembered the thrill I used to get when I would get home from school and one of my SASE's were waiting for me. So I think I would like to try to recapture that pleasure. However, it seems the rules have changed somewhat. Back in the day I would have never considered sending a check or cash to a player, be it for them personally or for their charity. Not that I had any cash as an early teen. Which brings me to my question:

If sending a request to a player who expects a "donation", to whom do most of you fill the check out too? The player, the team, or a specific charity? Or is that left blank, and sent with just the amount and signature filled in ? I appreciate any guidance on this subject, Thanks.

Also I apologize if there is already a post on this subject or if it is in the wrong discussion area, as I said, I am new here and there are so many posts it becomes overwhelming trying to read them all.

I have sent cash on 5 occasions where a "donation" was aksed and got all 5 back with no issue.Just conceal it in think paper.I used bullitens from my township newsletter cant see thru it.Hope this helps
    Instead of running away please feel free to counter offer my offers.A deal can always be made

My Bucket
    Hidden Content

I have sent cash on dozens of occasions over the years in the $20 range and under. I've only ever had two issues, one with Whitey Ford, who kept my $$ and returned my card unsigned. I wrote him another letter to ask him what's up, and he signed the card the second time around, and two days later he sent me two more signed cards.

I did send a check one time to Roy Smalley Jr. to his foundation that was never returned or cashed...not sure what happened on that one.

I did get burned sending cash to Mike Schmidt, whose ghost signer kept it and sent me back a bogus signature.

Typically, I would say you are fine for sending well-concealed cash with your request.
    Last edited by yanks39; 07-30-2014 at 08:56 AM.

Im new to TTM. I sent out roughly 20 or so baseballs & 8/10s out over the last month. About 6 guys I sent to were known as guys that require a donation. I have sent checks to all of them. I check around a bit to see if I can find the charity name, if I cant, i make it out to the player directly. I have received back baseballs from - Jim Bunning, Wade Boggs & Whitey Herzog all with checks made out directly to them.

Removed
    Last edited by arfmax; 07-31-2014 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Inappropriate