Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bcct12's Items on eBay

Playoff Team Predictions in NHL Eastern Conference- CONTEST ENTRY

Countdown of top Playoff teams in Eastern Conference

The National Hockey League regular season is now under way and has provided some incite on how the standings will turn out by the end of the eighty-two game season. The season is just twenty games in and anything can happen within the next sixty-two games and I predict there will be some pretty surprising playoff teams and some playoff hopefuls who will not make the cut this year. I will give you my interpretation and knowledge as a fan to predict how the season will turn out and which teams will make the cut this April. There will be some predictions that may make you think that I'm foolish in my guess but I will do my best to give you my reasons why that prediction was made. Lets begin!

Eastern Conference

Made The playoffs This Year

1. Philadelphia Flyers
    The Philadelphia Flyers will end up number one overall in the final Eastern Conference Standings after the season is all said and done. I am partial to the Flyers, being form Philly, but judging from the first eighteen games I've watched they seam to have some serious chemistry building between Claude Giroux, Jaromir Jagr, and recently added line mate Scott Hartnell. Together the line has a total of forty-eight points added up through the season, that's over a quarter of the points scored by the whole team. Those three players scored 26% of the whole teams points. There have also been some pleasant surprises this season for the Flyers, who traded away their two star players within hours of each other this offseason in the players of Mike Richards and Jeff Carter. Some of these surprises are rookies Sean Couturier and Matt Read who have combined for nineteen points thus far.
    Attachment 46465
    Will Jagr be able to Produce?

2. Florida Panthers
    The Florida Panthers are a sort of surprise team this season in the standings. They are tied with Washington for the lead in the Southeast with twenty-one points this season. The Panthers finished last season with just thirty wins under their belts and ended up ten games under five hundred, I doubt this season will be a repeat. They have played nineteen games this year and their leading goal scorer is Kris Versteeg, who had an awful end of the season last year for the Flyers. However, with that being said, he is a fantastic player for the Panthers seeing as that they obtained him for a conditional pick or a third round draft pick. Starting goalie Jose Theodore is 6-4-3 with a GAA of just under 2.50. This is not terrific for a starting goalie, however it is working for them as they are outscoring their opposition 52-46. This number still has room for improvement if Theodore can pull through and make some more saves.

3. Montreal Canadiens
    The Montreal Canadiens, at this point, are only playing five hundred hockey with three over time losses though their nineteen games played so far. Goaltender Carey Price is off to a mediocre start to the season being 7-6-4, but he will improve that record as he has a GAA of 2.29, which isn't all that bad. If, and only if, the Canadiens can score more goals will they be fortunate enough to win their division. If they continue to score a goal for every goal given up (49 GF and 49 GA) they will not make the playoffs this year. They must improve defensively or improve drastically offensively if they want to continue winning. They are currently ranked fourteenth of thirty for goals for and seventeenth for goals against. If the rest of the division continues playing as they are now, I predict the Northeast to be the division who are the "weakest link" in the playoffs this year and will have the toughest time winning the ultimate prize, the Stanley Cup.

4. Pittsburgh Penguins
    The Pittsburgh Penguins are currently tied with the Flyers for first in the Atlantic. They have played their first nineteen without star Sidney Crosby, but they've gotten good contribution from James Neal and Jordan Staal. Evgeni Malkin has contributed but five goals this season which I believe to be their downfall this year. With little production from stars of the team like Malkin and Kunitz and no production thus far from Crosby I believe this team isn't good enough to win the Atlantic Division. This Division will however be a very close race up until the end with 3 of its teams being in the top 5 of the entire conference. Goalie Marc-Andre Fleury is off to another great start to another great season while being 8th overall for GAA in the league with 2.04.
    Attachment 46466
    Will Crosby return and be successsful?

5. New York Rangers
    The New York Rangers are the third Atlantic Division team to make the countdown of playoff teams. The Rangers, as it stands today are just two points behind the Penguins and Flyers for the lead and could very easily take the lead from them within the next week or so but I think they will end up just behind them this year and wind up fifth, which isn't all that bad for them because they will play the Penguins in the first round of the playoffs. The Rangers won the season series last year between the two teams four games to two and their record this year, I predict, will be similar. Henrik Lundqvist, New York's veteran goalie, is off good start with a 7-3-4 record and a GAA of 2.13, which is again right there among the leaders. Their leading scorer at the moment is Marian Gaborik with nine goals through sixteen games played, however I believe the leader at the end of the season will be Ryan Callahan with right in the vicinity of forty goals.

6. Buffalo Sabres
    The Buffalo Sabres went out this off-season and signed some big name players in Ville Leino and Christian Ehrhoff in hopes of keeping their playoff hopes alive. This tactic will work out very well this year for the Sabres and in the playoffs they will play their division rival Canadiens. The Ville Leino contract will turn out to be a bad choice as he will only score seventeen goals for them this year which is hardly worth the money that they agreed to pay him. Christian Ehrhoff will prove to be an asset to the team this year at the point this year ending the season with seventy points and leading the defensive core in points while Thomas Vanek will lead the Sabres in goals this year with forty-five and closely followed by Jason Pominville with thirty-seven.

7. Washington Capitals
    The Washington Capitals will be a let down this year as they end up underachieving and only holding onto a playoff birth by 4 points over the 9th place team. The Capitals will lose their lead of 13 points on that ninth ranked team over the course of the last month of the season. Star Alexander Ovechkin, I hate to say, will go out this year with a lower body injury (ankle sprain) with just twenty games left in the season. He was well on his way to the Maurice Richard Trophy and the Hart Memorial Trophy when a slash to the ankle while taking a break away ruined his hopes of those trophies and playing in the playoffs this year. (I know its going out on a limb, no pun intended)After this devastating loss Jason Chimera finishes the season with the team lead. The Capitals will lose to the Panthers in the first round of the playoffs.
    Attachment 46471
    will this be ovechkin on his breakaway?

8. Toronto Maple Leafs
    The Maple Leafs this season will end the season in the playoffs for the first time since pre-lockout. (2003-04) The current league leader in goals for the season, Phil Kessel, goal production will slow down and he won't finish the season on top, but he will finish in a good spot on those rankings. The Maple Leafs will be very tough opponents for the Philadelphia Flyers and I for see a 7-game series that all the games will be close and their just may be an upset there.

Did Not Make the Playoffs This Year

9. Boston Bruins
    The Defending Champs won't even make the playoffs this season so they have no hopes in defending their title. They didn't get off to a great start and they won't finish as strong as they'd hoped they would. The defending champions would go golfing instead of disney world. Goaltender Tim Thomas, who currently has a GAA of 2.09 will end up splitting even more time with Back-up Tukka Rask this season. It will start in early January when Thomas goes on a losing streak and they turn to Rask for support. Rask will hold the Bruins in playoff contentions while maintains a tight race for the 8th spot with Toronto but to no avail, as they will fall short this year in the last week of the season.
    Attachment 46467
    The Bruins won't repeat

10. New Jersey Devils
    The Devils who will make another great attempt at a comeback at the end of this season will just miss the playoffs when the season is all said and done. Ilya Kovalchuk will have yet another season that isn't as superb as his contract shows he is capable of. They played mediocre all season, but unfortunetly for them that wasn't good enough to get a chance at a Cup. Goalie Martin Brodeur will be the starter for the year but will only play 55% of the games but will split the time with Johan Hedberg in 45%. Johan will prove to have the better statistics at the end of the season but he got little goal support throughout the year so his record won't show it. There leading goal scorer will be a close competition between Kovalchuk and Elias, who will be the team leading goal scorer.

11. Tampa Bay Lightning
    This season for the Lightning, star player Steven Stamkos will not be able to carry his team to another playoff appearance. However, he did win the Rocket Richard Trophy. They made it pretty far last year in the postseason but this year they just couldn't prove that they were at that level again. Dwayne Roloson and Mathieu Garon are currently splitting the job as Goaltender in the Tampa Bay organization. By the end of the season, the job will belong souly to Garon who currently has a 3-3-2 record, though that number won't show the better GAA and SV%.

12. New York Islanders
    The Islanders will have yet another disappointing season and finish last in their dominant division for another season. They had some pretty decent prodcution from some younger guys like John Tavares and Kyle Okposo but the team as a whole just isn't on track for a playoff appearence just yet. Through the course of the season they did show signs that they could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I predict they will be performing at a playoff level in two to three seasons.

13. Ottawa Senators
    The Senators started this year with what appeared to be a decent team when after twenty games they were 10-9-1 but that record will start to fall apart around Christmas time and by the end of the season there was too much ground for them to make up. They also showed some skill at parts of the season but in the end the team was deemed to streaky for the playoffs. The Ottawa fans have next season to look forward too.

14. Winnipeg Jets
    After moving to Winnipeg from Atlanta their fan base definitely got better but their record did not. They weren't expected to do too much better in a new city considering the fact that they are the same roster for the most part. This season was a long one in Winnipeg. The Winnipeg newspapers can't use the headline "Winning in Winnipeg" just yet, that may take a few seasons. However there's good news for Winnipeg! They weren't last in their division this year! The honor of last place in the Eastern Conference belongs to...
    Attachment 46470
    Winnipeg Jets will finish 14th not 15th

15. Carolina Hurricanes
    The Carolina Hurricanes will finish a very disappointing season winning just 28 games all season. Neither of Carolin's two starting goalies, Cam Ward and Brian Boucher, will be proven a playoff caliber goalie. Cam Ward, the starter and previous All-Star, is currently 6-8-2 which isn't the normal number for Ward or any starting goale. However, the job remains his due to the fact back-up Brian Boucher has played in just 6 games and has managed to obtain no wins to help improve his record of 0-3-1 and GAA of 3.31. Boucher's Save Percentage is at .877 while Cam Ward's is just over .900. This is not a good year to be a Carolina forward, goalie, or fan.
    Last edited by bcct12 sports; 11-19-2011 at 09:44 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay