Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco Giants
    See sanfran22's Items on eBay

Can someone sum up the issue? I don't want to read the article. #toobusy/lazy

Basically Romney spent money to wipe hard drives and some staff members took thiers with them. The insinuation is Romney is hiding something by the article and some in this thread.....

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

the age of the computers and them not being valuable makes sense which goes to my questions about why the employees would want them. still you'd think that their disposal method would be different. Also I'm not clear with this article... are they saying that they think some of this data was stuff that would typically have been archived or are they just trying to stir something up. I guess I'm not sure because I don't know if day to day communications and files are all archived in the governmental setting or not. I'm not sure what data was purged that should have been archived... if any.

There is actually a little bit of a market out there for older lower performing PCs that people want just to browse the internet, check emails and do some word processing. A computer with Windows 2000, a P2 1.8ghz processor and 1gb of RAM would be perfect for that. They typically sell for under $250 so they are perfect for a newbie PC user or someone wanting a PC for their kids to use or to take to college.

I don't tknow how they do things in Mass. but here in WV all state files are archived on a central server, but the e-mails are essentially temp files on an email server and can be deleted at any time by the person who has access rights to the email address. The emails are backed up (in case of a server crash) but subsequent back-ups delete any previous back-ups so by simply deleting an email from your inbox it will be deleted from the back-up server at midnight when the backup occurs.

The exception to the email aspect is if the person decides to download their emails. The current system is a Java based online email service that is housed on a state owned server. Through a few minor steps we can have our emails download onto our computer via Outlook. In that case their could be a security issue if the hard drive fell into the wrong hands. Anybody with a little bit of tech knowledge would be able to connect the hard drive as a slave drive and access all of the files on it without the need for a password.

In my opinion it is a lot of hype over nothing. Romney has the right to delete his emails. There is no law requiring public access to private correspondence. Any files concerning his job would be backed up and he wouldn't be allowed to delete them or have them purged. The only things he could delete would be personal.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (376)
    Country
    See AUTaxMan's Items on eBay

Basically Romney spent money to wipe hard drives and some staff members took thiers with them. The insinuation is Romney is hiding something by the article and some in this thread.....

Why is it news? This happens every day.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco Giants
    See sanfran22's Items on eBay

Because he's republican, just ask Sarah Palin.....

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Because this is the worst thing that the left can come up with to try and smear Romney's name.

I believe the term is "grasping at straws"...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Because this is the worst thing that the left can come up with to try and smear Romney's name.

I believe the term is "grasping at straws"...

Kind of like the whole Obama birth certificate thing huh?
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Kind of like the whole Obama birth certificate thing huh?

Yes.

Country

people dont hide good things from the public.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

people dont hide good things from the public.

He wasn't hiding anything. He has a right to privacy where his personal communication and documents are concerned.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

He wasn't hiding anything. He has a right to privacy where his personal communication and documents are concerned.

I have worked for both gov't and private sector jobs and if you use the company computers you have no expectation of privacy. All the jobs where I had where I had a computer access required me to sign a waiver saying that there should be no expectation of privacy and anything you do is subject to monitoring and recording. That includes surfing on non work related sites and accessing private email accounts. If Romney had something so private that he did not want the public to be aware of he should not be using gov't computers paid for by the tax payer. His behavior looks real suspucious to me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast