Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Courts: Oklahoma cannot enforce sharia law ban

Why is this even an issue in the first place? We live in the united states and are subject to US law. Sharia law should not be an issue one way or the other. Just another attempt by bigots and right wingers who want to take away ones right to freedom of religion. SMH.

http://news.yahoo.com/court-oklahoma...011240179.html
    Last edited by mrveggieman; 01-11-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I've never really got the sharia law fear. The US laws would take precedence over any religious law. religious laws whether they be muslim, christian, hindu, jewish, or any other religion have no place in a society were freedom of religion exists.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I don't understand this...

Defenders of the amendment say they want to prevent foreign laws in general, and Islamic Sharia law in particular, from overriding state or U.S. laws.

The only way sharia law would override state or federal law is if some idiot judge allowed it and it would then be overturned in a higher court. Last I checked state and federal law pre-empts all religious laws.

BANNED

Country
    See lindat32's Items on eBay

I've never really got the sharia law fear. The US laws would take precedence over any religious law. religious laws whether they be muslim, christian, hindu, jewish, or any other religion have no place in a society were freedom of religion exists.

Unfortunately Christianity has already influenced our laws and look at the mess it made of it

SCF Rewards
    Country

Unfortunately Christianity has already influenced our laws and look at the mess it made of it

Sad but true. SMH.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

My post on this issue got deleted, apparently.

Basically, it's a bunch of feel-good jingoism by the Oklahoma voters. Do they really think having a law on the books that bans sharia law will mean a thing if sharia law ever becomes a legitimate threat?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

My post on this issue got deleted, apparently.

Basically, it's a bunch of feel-good jingoism by the Oklahoma voters. Do they really think having a law on the books that bans sharia law will mean a thing if sharia law ever becomes a legitimate threat?

I think the intent of the law is to keep Sharia law out of the "alternative sentencing" aspects of the judicial system. I know up here in Canada we have different jurisdictions that try to be PC and keep minor legal matters out of the court system by incorporating the cultures of the participants (think Native tribes).

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think the intent of the law is to keep Sharia law out of the "alternative sentencing" aspects of the judicial system. I know up here in Canada we have different jurisdictions that try to be PC and keep minor legal matters out of the court system by incorporating the cultures of the participants (think Native tribes).

I remember several years ago a church was offering to have to take on juniville offenders to work for them instead of sending them to youth camp. I don't have a problem with that per se but I would have a problem with the courts giving preferential treatment to christian churches and not giving other religions the option to work with youth offenders.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

I remember several years ago a church was offering to have to take on juniville offenders to work for them instead of sending them to youth camp. I don't have a problem with that per se but I would have a problem with the courts giving preferential treatment to christian churches and not giving other religions the option to work with youth offenders.

but were other religions offering the same thing?

how would a court give preferential treatment to a church? just curious

SCF Rewards
    Country

but were other religions offering the same thing?

how would a court give preferential treatment to a church? just curious

Say for example a 16 year old was convicted of a crime. A local mosque offered to take him in and mentor him instead of him going to youth camp? Would you be ok with that? If not why not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast