Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 57 of 100 FirstFirst ... 7475455565758596067 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

OK people. Here is a tale of caution for my fellow flippers... luckily I caught it before costing me some cash with the help of some potential buyers.

I bought this scope at a farm action last early spring. I researched it based off of the box it was in before the auction. This weekend I get around to shooting it and listing it thinking I over paid and may get about $60 out of it, maybe doubling my money (paid $30). I listed it at lunch and got a $50 offer during the day. I turned the guy down and eventually went to bed. I wake up this morning and I have two more messages with offers. One of $250 and one of $500. I get to looking at the scope and realize that the scope that was in the box is not the scope I have at all. Luckily I photoed the info engraved on the scope and mount and people clicked through and knew what I had. Turns out that I have a Lyman scope and a Griffin Howe scope mount that are WWII era. The guy that offered me $250 was super nice after I told him I had a $500 offer and gave me some info (some that I found as I was researching after I got the $500 offer)... here's what he sent me.

I'm going to show my hand.
    The box does not go with the scope. Tasco is a relatively inexpensive brand name and the scopes rare fetch premium prices.

The scope and mount on the other hand are altogether different. This scope is a highly coveted and sought after Lyman Alaskan 2.5x produced between 1939-1957. These All-Weather scopes were ahead of their time and are conservatively valued in today's market between $300-500. The mount is an original Griffin and Howe formally of New York. It is a double-lever mount and sold for $25.00 when introduced around 1932. The mount is very scarse, and highly collectable. The combination you have is correct for a Springfield '03 or a later M1 Garand sniper rifle(s) of WWII fame. Of note--Military arsenals etched a serial number on the mount, which corresponded to the rifle to which it was assigned. If yours has a serial number it will command a premium.

I would personally value your combination—if sold together—to have a collector's value between $1000-1200. I'll bid if you keep it up. Good luck. This is a rare find.

Here are some picts of the scope and mount.

vintage_rifle_site_1.jpg

vintage_rifle_site_3.jpg

vintage_rifle_site_5.jpg

vintage_rifle_site_7.jpg

vintage_rifle_site_8.jpg

vintage_rifle_site_9.jpg

Anyway... just another story to make sure we all research what we have a bit more. I can't really believe I dropped the ball on this one, but was swayed by the box it was in. I totally disregarded the makes and model numbers on the actual piece.

FYI... this will probably be my Flip of the Year.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See andrew_co1's Items on eBay

wow very very cool man!!!

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Very cool. Awesome find.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

Great find nice that the fella offered up that info.

SCF Rewards
    Country

yeah it was nice of him. I had figured something was up after I got so many offers. I don't use buy it nows on my auctions much but certainly glad I didn't on this piece.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't like buy it nows because I like to see a little bidding war now and then. It has always payed off especially when i have something i am not sure of.The bidding decides.
    yeah it was nice of him. I had figured something was up after I got so many offers. I don't use buy it nows on my auctions much but certainly glad I didn't on this piece.

SCF Rewards
    Country

on some things it works out to have a buy it now, but if I want to control the price I get I just list as a fixed price. I usually start my auctions around where I'd be happy if I only get one bid. If I get more then great.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I always find this the best way. And most times I get more than I expected.
    on some things it works out to have a buy it now, but if I want to control the price I get I just list as a fixed price. I usually start my auctions around where I'd be happy if I only get one bid. If I get more then great.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

That's what I do. I'll often put what I want out of it as a BIN as well, but no one ever bites on that. High dollar items go as BIN/OBO.

SCF Rewards
    Country

A touching tid bit as I was driving home this morning from picking up a birthday cake with my son who turned 8 today we saw a Yard Sale sign. My boy says" Daddy lets stop and see if we can find stuff to sell on Ebay". Oh I lit up when he said that. A chip off on the old block. Nothing great but did get a box of 30 dvds for like $4. You can't beat that. Of course 10 of them were Scooby Doo so they were claimed by my boy. Looking forward to my big sale Saturday.

Page 57 of 100 FirstFirst ... 7475455565758596067 ... LastLast