Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ...'s Items on eBay

Arizona looks at changing recall law

Maybe since it is a local issue I feel pretty feverently on this, but I wanted to see what others felt as well.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politi...elections.html

Short version- it became national news when State Majority leader Pearce in our state was recalled and ultimately lost the election between him and another republican candidate. Reasons for the recall were varied among those who signed.... but there were a list of charges of corruption and arrogance from many who were involved, although no formal charges were ever made.

In the recall many democrats supported the more moderate republican and Pearce, who routinely won bi-partisan elections with comfort room, was defeated handily.

Now republicans in the state introduce a bill that says if a registered voter does not have a candidate in the recall, they are not allowed to vote. Hence, only republicans could have voted in the Pearce recall.

I have a severe problem with being told that if so many people are unhappy with an elected official and they are legally recalled that my vote won't matter in a recall if my registration isn't of that party. I feel this is a blatant scheme of legislators who can run amuck without fear of an open challenge. This is one of my biggest problems with partisan elections- if I truly supported a more moderate candidate, my chances of ever getting to vote for them in my state are virtually nil. Republicans vote the furthest right and democrats the furthest left, and the larger contingent wins in the election.

But Sen. Steve Gallardo, D-Phoenix, opposed the idea that some voters could be excluded from participating.

"Democrats and independents could sign the recall petition but could not vote," Gallardo said, also using the Pearce recall as an example.

Sen. Adam Driggs, R-Phoenix, also voted against the bill.

"We're all looking at District 18. I struggle to change laws based on one example," he said. "I don't understand the need."

At least one republican sees it my way.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/politi...#ixzz1mQTqByyC

Thoughts?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ...'s Items on eBay

LOL.... anyone? Just wanted some perspectives...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I actually held off after originally reading this. I am torn.

On one hand I can see the argument that only those of a party should be voting to recall. My reasoning is that you could have several situations where a population shift could impact this. For example, redistricting could cause a major party shift in an area and for purely political purposes those people could try and force a recall.

On the flip side, a politician represents all who are in his district. So saying that only those of a party affiliation can request a recall is flawed.

If I was going to modify recall laws I would say that only those who voted in the original election could vote in the recall election.