Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Partisan Fight Over Violence Against Women Act

At first glance this looks like a bunch of GOP knuckleheads, but after reading a bit I am quite irritated. I support fighting violence against women and I support this act. I just don't understand why everything that passes through DC has to have some ignorant partisan crap attached to it. If these people really truly care about what they are doing then why would they intentionally sabotage it with game-playing and partisan politics.

The root of the problem is simple. The Violence Against Women Act is up for renewal. The following things have been added, some are logical, some are partisan, some are just freakin' stupid.

- Increase availability of free legal assistance to victims of domestic violence - This makes sense. Totally logical to do everything possible to help in these situations.

- Extend the definition of violence to include stalking - Generally I agree with this as long as this isn't abused. If it is true stalking, fine.

- Provide training for civil and criminal court staff to deal with families with a history of violence - Makes sense, again, as long as it is within reason. Training the court reporter or bailiff seems a bit pointless to me since they will not be dealing in a social manner with families with a history of violence.

- Allow battered illegal immigrants to claim a visa and get assistance - No. Sorry. Illegals are law breakers and do not have the right to social or public services that are afforded our citizens. They need to be deported, not given visas.

- Would include same-sex couples in domestic violence programs - Really? Sorry, gay men will never, ever, ever be a battered woman. Lesbians? Yes. Gay men? The ignorance of that concept is astounding.

So my take is simple. If the primary importance is to get this bill extended then whoever put the hot button issues of illegal immigrants and same-sex couples into it needs to take it out instead of trying to use abused women as their political tool.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46743925...ew_york_times/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I personally do not believe in unwarranted violence against anyone. If someone is abused weather they are male, female, gay, straight, citizen or undoccumented immigrant they deserve legal protection from their abusers.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I personally do not believe in unwarranted violence against anyone. If someone is abused weather they are male, female, gay, straight, citizen or undoccumented immigrant they deserve legal protection from their abusers.

I agree but that doesn't mean that an act designed to protect battered women should provide blanket coverage for everyone who claims domestic violence.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

i wish the general public cared enough to look into the partisan crap that politicians put into bills. Rarely if ever is a bill only covering what the bill claims to be covering. Now, one side can paint the other side as not caring about women if they vote against this bill. Your average citizen isn't going to care about the amendments, they are just going to hear that someone voted against a bill to protect women.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

This is one of the most irritating aspects of washington. people want to tag on other things to bills that are completely unrelated. For this bill the questionable add ons listed are at least in the realm of domestic violence for the most part. I think maybe the title of the bill should be changed encompass anyone who falls under these benchmarks of being abused. I understand the illegal immigrant argument as they more than likely aren't paying into the system like documented people are in this country, but it's hard for me to say that they shouldn't receive protection if needed. For me, that falls more on the government for having a tax system that continues under the assumptions that every worker in the country is being honest about their income. If they changed the tax system they'd be able to collect tax money from illegals or any other people who cheat on their taxes or get paid under the table.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

this is one of the most irritating aspects of washington. People want to tag on other things to bills that are completely unrelated. For this bill the questionable add ons listed are at least in the realm of domestic violence for the most part. I think maybe the title of the bill should be changed encompass anyone who falls under these benchmarks of being abused. I understand the illegal immigrant argument as they more than likely aren't paying into the system like documented people are in this country, but it's hard for me to say that they shouldn't receive protection if needed. For me, that falls more on the government for having a tax system that continues under the assumptions that every worker in the country is being honest about their income. If they changed the tax system they'd be able to collect tax money from illegals or any other people who cheat on their taxes or get paid under the table.

+1

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

This is one of the most irritating aspects of washington. people want to tag on other things to bills that are completely unrelated. For this bill the questionable add ons listed are at least in the realm of domestic violence for the most part. I think maybe the title of the bill should be changed encompass anyone who falls under these benchmarks of being abused. I understand the illegal immigrant argument as they more than likely aren't paying into the system like documented people are in this country, but it's hard for me to say that they shouldn't receive protection if needed. For me, that falls more on the government for having a tax system that continues under the assumptions that every worker in the country is being honest about their income. If they changed the tax system they'd be able to collect tax money from illegals or any other people who cheat on their taxes or get paid under the table.

I have no problem with them getting protection. I do have a problem with them recieving government funded legal aide and a visa.

If I was an illegal woman and I wanted to stay I would just pay someone $20 to black my eye, run to the police and claim my illegal boyfriend abused me and BAM! free visa...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I have no problem with them getting protection. I do have a problem with them recieving government funded legal aide and a visa.

If I was an illegal woman and I wanted to stay I would just pay someone $20 to black my eye, run to the police and claim my illegal boyfriend abused me and BAM! free visa...

I agree. the visa seems extreme.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

I agree. the visa seems extreme.

+1. i would be completely fine with them receiving aid. i have no idea why a visa needs to be part of the deal.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (376)
    Country
    See AUTaxMan's Items on eBay

I just don't think the federal government has any business enacting this kind of legislation. It should be left up to the states.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast