Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Texas voter ID law blocked by justice dept

Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I saw this on another site and just skimmed it. I am not sure I understand why it was blocked. They said that it would possibly limit latino voters but if the latino voters are legal citizens then they shouldn't have any problem getting an ID, right?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I saw this on another site and just skimmed it. I am not sure I understand why it was blocked. They said that it would possibly limit latino voters but if the latino voters are legal citizens then they shouldn't have any problem getting an ID, right?

A state ID and or driver's liscence costs money and requiring such in order to vote is akin to paying a poll tax to vote which would violate the 24th amendment.

SCF Rewards
    Country

How does one cash a paycheck, welfare check, or any type of income check without an ID?

I understand your point about the cost of an ID but the amount of people that they always claim don't have an ID doesn't make sense unless down in Texas you don't need an ID to cash checks.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See intimadator2007's Items on eBay

A state ID and or driver's liscence costs money and requiring such in order to vote is akin to paying a poll tax to vote which would violate the 24th amendment.

So we should pay for their gas to the voting booth , but their lunch and put oil in there car since it is so expensive to buy a dang $6 ID card ..I am sick of these dang it cost money excuses . It cost money to be alive how do they pull that off .

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Not exactly. Since everyone is required to show ID then there is no one certain group that is targeted like there was with a poll tax.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ...'s Items on eBay

In my opinion, another sensationalist idea to solve pretty much a non-existent problem.

One side can claim they just want to see proof of identity to make sure there aren't illegals voting (and since you have to register to vote and you must show some form of ID in every poll I've ever been to, I don't see how it could happen anyway).

The other side claims that it increases the chances of minorities or the poor from not getting a vote (when in all actuality it probably means they are the largest part of this group but probably not casting that many ballots numbers-wise since most people don't fall into this group to begin with).

In all, another expensive, politically-fueled legislative battle in which taxpayers foot a multi-million dollar bill to solve a problem that never really existed.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ...'s Items on eBay

And on another note, for every "You have to have an ID to open a bank account, fly, etc. etc. etc." argument I tend to feel that those aren't necessarily rights set forth in our Bill of Rights and subsequent amendments. Voting is. Some people tend to be a bit hypocritical when they scream to keep government out of their lives and quit playing big brother but then can't keep from proposing laws that give more power over other people.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

In my opinion, another sensationalist idea to solve pretty much a non-existent problem.

One side can claim they just want to see proof of identity to make sure there aren't illegals voting (and since you have to register to vote and you must show some form of ID in every poll I've ever been to, I don't see how it could happen anyway).

The other side claims that it increases the chances of minorities or the poor from not getting a vote (when in all actuality it probably means they are the largest part of this group but probably not casting that many ballots numbers-wise since most people don't fall into this group to begin with).

In all, another expensive, politically-fueled legislative battle in which taxpayers foot a multi-million dollar bill to solve a problem that never really existed.

I don't know about Texas, but here in WV you are not required to show ID to register to vote or to vote. In fact, registering to vote is as simple as filling out a form with your name and address, signing it and mailing it in. A few weeks later your voter card shows up in the mail. When you go in to vote you sign your voter ticket and they check to see if the signature on your registration matches the signature on your voter ticket. If it does, you can vote.

The registration form asks for a driver's license number or social security number but has a check box for "I do not have a driver's license or social security number", so even those are not required.

Never at any point in time are you required to show any ID to anyone.

And on another note, for every "You have to have an ID to open a bank account, fly, etc. etc. etc." argument I tend to feel that those aren't necessarily rights set forth in our Bill of Rights and subsequent amendments. Voting is. Some people tend to be a bit hypocritical when they scream to keep government out of their lives and quit playing big brother but then can't keep from proposing laws that give more power over other people.

Nobody said it is a "right" to cash a check or open a bank account. The question is how do they cash checks or open a bank account without ID. Saying that latino voters could/would be excluded is implying that they have no ID. If they have no ID then how do they live?

You have to have ID to open a bank account or cash your check at a check cashing location. Heck, you have to have ID to get a post office box, use a credit/debit card, buy cigarettes and beer, pass through a border check point..if they have no ID then they essentially can do nothing.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ...'s Items on eBay

http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-ele...s.aspx#Details

I guess this would explain it- my state does have a Voter ID requirement, and West Virginia does not. Actually surprised to find that there is so much variance- but again, I guess that just goes to show how different regions have different beliefs.

Just still seems to me this is so much more of a political gamesmanship instead of a real issue. Being the middle ground, it doesn't make sense to me that a Concealed Weapon Permit is acceptable and a Student ID is not, since both have pictures. I can definitely listen to an argument that the requirements would seemingly benefit one demographic over another. It does seem to me that there is a certain level of prejudice on the requirements, but it also seems reasonable that some form of concrete identification should be required to vote. Ultimately, I guess I fall on the side of the Justice Department with my belief that if there is some form of prejudice, then it should be blocked until a case is presented that there is not. My belief is that the law is a movement in the right direction, but has flaws that should be fixed before implementation. It's not like everything has to be so this side or that- this one should have a common ground, yet both choose to ignore it.
    Last edited by tylermckinzie; 03-12-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast