Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Outrage Causes Burger King Advertisement To Be Taken Down

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_16...or-chicken-ad/

People will scream racism about anything these days...

and the kicker? Blige had NO issues with doing the advertisement.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Well, maybe I am missing something, but I am absolutely baffled as to how this is racist. Literally, I am at a loss.

The video can be seen here on TMZ
    http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2012/0...her-upset.html

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I don't get a racist tone at all and it sounds like Blige may be saying she understands how her fans could be offended by it just because she is getting negative comments about it.

I was offended by it but because it was just a bad commercial. Blige should apologize for singing such a terrible song about chicken. Yes there is a stereotype of african americans liking fried chicken, but that doesn't mean that any reference of fried chicken in this manner is racist. BK is selling chicken and most people, all racists, like chicken and Blige was hired to promote it, which she did.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

this is the dumbest report of the week

and shame on her for getting sucked into the whole racial twist on this. that is so far from be racial, yet someone somewhere will always see racism, too bad she is not above it

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (29)
    Country
    New York Jets New York Yankees
    See pspstatus's Items on eBay

Wow this commercial is terrible but far from being racist.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I didn't see the add yet but if MJB is ok with this then I don't have a problem with it. I'm black, don't eat chicken (or any other meat) but if someone else choses to do so that's their high cholestorol not mines.
    Last edited by mrveggieman; 04-06-2012 at 02:37 PM.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country

It saddens me that in the society that we live right now, a commercial will cause all this craziness. Too bad for her and BK for not standing their ground. This is not racist by any means.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

but if someone else choses to do so that's their high cholestorol not mines.

just need to balance it and exercise, no HC for me, and I love fried chicken (but maybe get to eat it once or twice a month)

BANNED

Country

some people get offended way too easily these days

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @DaClyde See daclyde1's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio

Fortunately this incident will likely provide lots of black comedians with another few months worth of material :)

It is really sad the overwhelming obsession some people have with fighting stereotypes as if it's something you can fight. A stereotype just IS, you can't just stop it existing. Most stereotypes exist in our cultural consciousness because somewhere, someone noticed a pattern (or through the filter of their own biases what they thought was a pattern) among certain members of a certain population. Lots of black people eat fried chicken (so do lots of white people but that apparently provides no entertainment value, so is not mentioned). So there developed a stereotype about black people eating chicken (which I really don't see what is offensive about a tendency of any given group of an larger populace liking a particular food) .

Now it's almost taboo for black people to be seen eating chicken!

Are they racist for eating chicken? Is the chicken racist for being fried and eaten? Is Burger King racist for selling fried chicken products to blacks? Seriously, where is the actual racism here? Where is someone being held down or losing their rights and freedoms or being discriminated against because a company paid a singer of a certain ethnicity to sing about chicken for a commercial?

It's marketing! So a couple of years ago had Sir Mix-A-Lot been rapping about chicken instead of Spongebob for a BK commercial, would that have been racist? Would we then be expected to boycott Spongebob, Sir Mix-A-Lot AND Burger King? Is that a win for ANYONE? Think of the cardiologists!

If YouTube had an "outrage" filter, you wouldn't see 90% of the comments left on the site.
    Last edited by DaClyde; 04-06-2012 at 08:02 PM.