Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Newark Residents Miffed Over Bill from Whitney Houston's Funeral

http://news.yahoo.com/newark-residen...214223705.html

Newark residents are being left to pick up the bill for Whitney Houston's funeral, and, surprisingly, they aren't happy about it. The demands of the high-profile funeral attendees have left the city of Newark with a $187,000 bill for police overtime. Police acted as barriers between fans and the proceedings on the day of the funeral of the Newark native who drowned in February. Nearly 200 officers were posted to the New Batist Church on the day of the funeral. The $187,000 bill for police overtime represents 5% of the city's annual police budget.

One resident told CBS that if Houston's family wanted the funeral to be as much of a spectacle as it was, then they should have copped the bill. “If they wanted it to go that far, do that much, they should have been the ones providing for it,” the resident said.

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Since he felt so highly of Houston, NJ Governor Chris Christie should split the bill with Witney's family. I can't believe they are making the taxpayers pay the bill!

Collecting Oneil Cruz, Liover Peguero, Joey Bart, Julio Rodriguez, Corbin Carroll, Adley Rutschman, Gunnar Henderson

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

If the police did not want to meet the "demands" of the high-profile guests, they could have refused. Houston's family had every right to hold a funeral in her hometown and they had no obligation to pay for extra security because so many "taxpayers" wanted to gawk.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You're right, Houstons family had every right to hold the funeral in her home town, but on the same token, Houstons family knew what kind of circus this would be if they invited high profile guests. And I'm sure it was no secret as to when the services were to take place, so that's just inviting crowds of onlookers to view the funeral. I'm sorry, but I can't understand why you feel the taxpayers should foot the bill on this. Bottom line is, Witneys family wanted the high profile funeral with all it's glitz and glamour, then they should have to pay for it. Plain and simple.
    Also, couldn't have Witneys family have refused the extra security?

If the police did not want to meet the "demands" of the high-profile guests, they could have refused. Houston's family had every right to hold a funeral in her hometown and they had no obligation to pay for extra security because so many "taxpayers" wanted to gawk.

Last edited by steelers#1fan; 04-10-2012 at 05:42 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

There is no way that this has to be paid by the taxpayers. They wanted to have a funeral like, then they have to pay for it. This is going to be a mess.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

Did the family ASK for security? Did the family have any say in how the security was arranged? If not, they are not obligated to pay for it. I am sure many of the attendees already have personal security on their payroll. Sometimes the police (a public service) feels the need to perform extra duties to keep the peace. That's just the way it goes. Maybe for next year's New Year's Times Square celebration they can charge admission to cover the security costs. Afterall, why should the people staying at home for the evening have to pay for it?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Maybe for next year's New Year's Times Square celebration they can charge admission to cover the security costs. Afterall, why should the people staying at home for the evening have to pay for it?

You might be onto something here.Instead of paying for security,have it be a volunteer assignment? It works here and we have how many volunteers to maintain over 45,000 members??Obviously this is a drastic example but I'm sure it could be done somehow.I firmly believe a taxplayer should not be obligated to pay for something that they didn't partipate in. ~~Dave C.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I can see both sides. I don't know if the family asked for security or if the police just showed up because they knew it would or could get out of hand. I think at some level of expense costs should be pushed back to the estate of the deceased, but at the same time if the police show up to run security and weren't requested is it still right for them to bill the family the cost of showing up? I'm not really sure on this one right now.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The governor should pay for it out of pocket....

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I agree with habs, the police should have stayed away unless called for. Other than basic traffic control (pretty standard for funerals) the police should have stayed home and let the funeral progress. If the family wanted extra security they could/should have hired a private security firm.