Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Los Angeles Dodgers

How many FAKE autos are on EBAY?

How many FAKE autos are on EBAY and what can we do to protect ourselves from buying fakes?

my suggestion is

1. Buy PSA/DNA certified autos

2. Buy from EBAY dealers that have a high feedback score and good track record.

3. Compare non certified autos with Certified autos.

Any other tips, and also what percentage of FAKES do you think are on EBAY. i read somewhere that 70% of all autos on ebay are FAKE! YIKES!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Lots and lots of fakes, and lots of scams. Like that guy selling his own signature on SI covers and callin them signed SIs. He also used a glove himself then called it a game used glove. These things are common.

Also, more frequently, people fake inscriptions. I've seen dealers write inscriptions themselves, so I'd never trust those things, even if the auto is cert.

I get around it by never, ever buying on eBay, but that's not what you are looking for...

Your suggestions sound good except that I wouldn't trust feedback as it can be faked by bogus accounts and/or stupid people who don't know they bought fakes leave positive feedback.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

how many fake autos are on ebay and what can we do to protect ourselves from buying fakes?

My suggestion is

1. Buy psa/dna certified autos

2. Buy from ebay dealers that have a high feedback score and good track record.

3. Compare non certified autos with certified autos.

Any other tips, and also what percentage of fakes do you think are on ebay. I read somewhere that 70% of all autos on ebay are fake! Yikes!

+1
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

It makes me sick. Here is one below. I don't understand why they allow this garbage on there. You have to do your homework. So many do not, which is why these dealers keep selling fakes.

In my opinion at least 50 - 75 percent of signed baseball cards on ebay are fakes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOF-Dodgers-...item27c581f1d8

SCF Rewards
    Country

I stick to buying pack pulled stuff when it comes to cards. I avoid most cut autos unless they are from checks or something I can track down and get an idea where its coming from. I think the cut autos from index cards are just brutal.

As for balls I have picked up a couple Playoff Absolute Memorabilia balls(Slaughter, Spahn, and Doby) and a UDA Ted Williams ball.

I have a couple things PSA/JSA but for the most part stick to the things from the major companies and avoid the stuff from general people.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Agree. On the same token it's kind of like buying/trading for autos on here or anywhere else online.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would add for vintage autographs, in addition to PSA or JSA, there are a handful of terrific dealers around the country who have been doing this for 30-plus years. All of them that have good established reputations and offer lifetime moneyback guarantees I'd say are solid, such as Bill Corcoran, Jim Stinson, Kevin Keating, and Rich Albersheim.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See autocollectr79's Items on eBay

just from doin the IP thing for awhile now ive run into alot of diff scenarios so i dont buy anything off ebay.

1. ive seen ppl forge autographs and they look so good that psn/dna passes them
    and ive also seen them turn down real ones

2. even though they have proof pics,ive seen ppl forge,then put the fake one on ebay and keep the real one

3. i know forgers are all over the country and i know a few ppl from cleveland are on here but i dont trust anyone that i know in cleveland that has an ebay account because ive seen what they do. not sayin they are all bad,just the ones i know

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Los Angeles Dodgers

thanks guys for your responses. this is really worrisome that so many fakes are on ebay, that makes me want to upgrade everything of mine to certified autos! i read somewhere else that something like 75% of all autos on ebay are fake...how scary is that?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I buy on ebay from time to time but I ONLY buy certified cards from Topps, Upper Deck, Bowman, etc. I will sometimes buy photos but they must be either Beckett, PSA/JSA, or Steiner certified, and I will never spend over a certain amount on non card signed items.

I would NEVER buy anything or suggest anyone to buy items on ebay that are not certified. Most likely they will be fake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast