Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bible

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

The Bible

well this was do to come, lets keep it civil.

it would be nice if we don't generalize this but keep it specific.

what in the bible do you think is true? (please don't answer none or everything, we can take it one piece at a time)

what in the bible do you think is false, a lie, or the truth stretched?

some examples;

noah's ark

moses parting the sea

jesus not existing

i would love to here both sides and have no problem debating either side, facts are facts, beliefs are beliefs, faith is faith

please realize there is hardly any way to be right or wrong

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

True:

The Flood.
    The existence of Jesus.

False:

Everything created in 6 days.
    Adam being first man. (obviously Eve being first woman)
    Something about a snake and an apple.
    10 Commandments.
    Characters living to impossible ages.
    House of Babel being the explanation of different cultures/languages/people.
    Moses parting the sea (probably an embellishment)
    Virgin birth.
    Resurrection.
    Walking on water
    Turning water into wine

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

habsheaven pretty much named what I would have.

I believe there was a flood at one time. The fact that every culture has some sort of a flood story would seem to indicate this as something that actually happened in some form.

And I'm sure Jesus existed. I just don't buy into the whole trinity thing in the slightest. I think he was just a guy with a lot of good ideas and tried to make them known. Maybe he knew a little sleight of hand, parlor tricks, mass hypnosis. The David Copperfield of his day, if you will.

It's a good book for history. I once had a teacher tell me "If you don't know the Bible, you can't know history." And he's right. Note that he said knowing the bible, not believing in it. Big difference.

Aside from that, the stories largely stretch the bounds of credibility.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

Here's a thought on the "virgin" birth. How did this come about? Did Mary tell everyone for 9 months that she was a virgin? Did anyone ask? Why would anyone believe her? In other words, when was this claim first made and who verified it? For that matter, how could they verify it? Yet millions of people believe it? Why, because it adds to the mystic of Jesus?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @DaClyde See daclyde1's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio

It's a good book for history. I once had a teacher tell me "If you don't know the Bible, you can't know history." And he's right. Note that he said knowing the bible, not believing in it. Big difference.

What is often so telling about someone who makes that sort of statement is that they are quite often ignorant on the history OF the Bible, i.e. the conditions in the world in the places where the books were written (context is everything), how it was assembled (look for blank stares when mentioning the Council of Nicea), how it was propagated, who actually wrote the books, how politics of any given period afterward colored the translations, etc.

In the context of the times, much of the basis for what became the Bible was gathered from other surrounding religions. I find the history of the Bible itself to be immensely more interesting than anything actually in the book. Though, what was the deal with the giants mentioned in Genesis 6?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I go to church and would be considered a christian but I am no way a bible expert and honestly cannot say with 100% certanity that any particular part of the bible is indeed true or false for that matter. I do believe that it is impossible to take the bible 100% literally and believe everything in there because of the obvious contridictions, misinterpertations and not to mention most christians picking and chosing what they want to go by and ignoring what they don't want to hear. For example if they don't like something in the OT they immediately run to the NT to look for something to contradict it. The perfect example is Genesis 1:29-31. However most christians clamor to the OT prohibition with homosexuality because it suits their agenda but ignore Jesus message of love, forgivness and tollerance.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

What is often so telling about someone who makes that sort of statement is that they are quite often ignorant on the history OF the Bible, i.e. the conditions in the world in the places where the books were written (context is everything), how it was assembled (look for blank stares when mentioning the Council of Nicea), how it was propagated, who actually wrote the books, how politics of any given period afterward colored the translations, etc.

In the context of the times, much of the basis for what became the Bible was gathered from other surrounding religions. I find the history of the Bible itself to be immensely more interesting than anything actually in the book. Though, what was the deal with the giants mentioned in Genesis 6?

That's 90% of it, actually-- knowing the entire history of the Bible. Belief in it or not, even I as an atheist can't argue against it being the most influential and important book in the last 2000 years of Western civilization. And not because of what's in it, but because of everything surrounding it-- its content, its history, its controversies on what's in and what's out, and how it has been used for and against the people of the world at large.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

I go to church and would be considered a christian but I am no way a bible expert and honestly cannot say with 100% certanity that any particular part of the bible is indeed true or false for that matter. I do believe that it is impossible to take the bible 100% literally and believe everything in there because of the obvious contridictions, misinterpertations and not to mention most christians picking and chosing what they want to go by and ignoring what they don't want to hear. For example if they don't like something in the OT they immediately run to the NT to look for something to contradict it. The perfect example is Genesis 1:29-31. However most christians clamor to the OT prohibition with homosexuality because it suits their agenda but ignore Jesus message of love, forgivness and tollerance.

that is because God himself overturns genesis 1:29-31; twice. Fell free to show me where jesus said it is ok to engage in homosexual acts. Jesus' message of love, forgiveness, and tolerance does not equal jesus saying "ok, all those sins that were in the old testament, those are cool now."

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

Jesus' message of love, forgiveness, and tolerance does not equal jesus saying "ok, all those sins that were in the old testament, those are cool now."

maybe not cool, but the fact of us judging is not cool. we need to forgive, understand, tolerate, and love, not tell gays or jews they will burn in hell. or smokers and drinkers they are sinners. we need to worry about our relationship with god and help who we can when needed

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

maybe not cool, but the fact of us judging is not cool. we need to forgive, understand, tolerate, and love, not tell gays or jews they will burn in hell. or smokers and drinkers they are sinners. we need to worry about our relationship with god and help who we can when needed

CHURCH!!

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast