Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

SCF Official Review: 2012 Topps Allen And Ginter

First and foremost, I'd like to thank our sponsors at Topps for providing us with this box.

24 packs per box
    8 cards per pack
    Current Retail Price (online): $84.99 - $99.99

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
    Insertion rates are based on estimated production levels, which may vary from the actual insertion rates to be published on product packaging.

BASE CARDS (350 subjects)
    - NEW! Retired Stars!
    - 350 veterans, rookies, retired stars, public figures, and non-baseball champions. The last 50 card numbers are short-printed and inserted 1:2 packs.

MINI PARALLEL CARDS
    - Mini Parallel - Original-sized version of the base cards.
    - Allen & Ginter Back - Featuring a new Allen & Ginter-logo back.
    - Allen & Ginter Black-Bordered
    - Allen & Ginter No Number - Limited to 50.
    - Allen & Ginter Baseball Back - Featuring a specially created Allen & Ginter-logo back and hand-numbered to 25.
    - Allen & Ginter Wood - Hand-numbered 1 of 1. HOBBY ONLY
    - Printing Plates - Featuring all four plates used to print every mini parallel and mini exclusive card. Framed and numbered 1 of 1. HOBBY ONLY
    - Allen & Ginter Cloth Cards - A partial parallel featuring 150 base cards printed on cloth and framed. Sequentially numbered to 10. HOBBY ONLY

RELIC CARDS
    Allen & Ginter Relics
    - Framed mini cards featuring relics from over 50 MLB superstars, both active and retired, and all the other non-baseball athletes and champions.

Allen & Ginter DNA Relics
    - 10 framed mini cards including a strand of hair from a historical figure. Numbered 1 of 1.

Lepidoptery Cards
    - An exciting, never-before-seen type of card! These hand-crafted cards will each feature a full, pressed butterfly in an exquisite window-box-style card. These cards will be inserted into packs as redemptions and numbered. HOBBY ONLY

Allen & Ginter Book Cards
    - 25 book cards featuring players and two autographs, two relics, or an autograph and a relic. Numbered 1 of 1. HOBBY ONLY

Allen & Ginter Framed Originals
    - 100 framed original Allen & Ginter buybacks. Numbered 1 of 1. HOBBY ONLY

AUTOGRAPH CARDS
    Allen & Ginter Autographs
    - Framed mini cards featuring on-card autographs from over 30 MLB superstars, both active and retired, and all the other non-baseball athletes and champions.

Cut Signatures
    - 20 cards featuring cut signatures of political and historical figures. Numbered 1 of 1.

RIP CARDS - 1 Per HOBBY Case!
    100 cards featuring active and retired MLB stars, numbered and HOBBY ONLY. Keep it or RIP it? The choice is yours.
    If you rip it, inside you may find:

Allen & Ginter Originals
    - 30 actual, original, 1-of-1 paintings on a mini card and only found in Rip Cards.

Allen & Ginter Red Autographs
    - On-card autographs from many of the Allen & Ginter Framed autograph subjects, signed in red and hand-numbered in red to 10.

Allen & Ginter Mini Exclusives
    - 50 cards numbered 351-400 and found only in Rip Cards, these are mini-card variations of players' base cards.

Allen & Ginter Mini Wood Exclusives
    - A wood parallel of the mini exclusives. Numbered 1 of 1.

Rip Card Reserve
    - 25 redemption cards for prizes, such as an autographed jersey or bat!

FULL-SIZED INSERT CARDS
    What's in a Name?
    - 100 cards featuring baseball players from the past and present. Inserted 1:2 packs.

Historical Turning Points
    - 20 cards featuring great battles, speeches, and decisions that have helped determine the course of civilization. Inserted 1:10 packs.

You've Gotta Be Kidding Me!
    - 15 cards telling some of the most unbelievable tales from history. Inserted 1:10 packs.

World's Tallest Buildings
    - 10 cards celebrating the most impressive edifices in the world. Inserted 1:10 packs.

Baseball Highlights Sketches
    - 25 cards featuring reproductions of original, commissioned sketches showing some of the greatest baseball highlights of the year. Inserted 1:10 packs.

Colony in a Card
    - This amazing, groundbreaking new type of card can be busted open and, when combined with water, will sprout a living, breathing colony to enjoy! 1 per case.

MINI INSERTS - Overall insertion rate for mini inserts is 1:5 packs.
    People of the Bible
    - 15 cards featuring some of the most important figures from the Bible.

Man's Best Friend
    - 20 cards celebrating some of the most popular breeds of man's most popular companion.

World's Greatest Military Leaders
    - 20 cards featuring the greatest military leaders in history.

Giants of the Deep
    - 15 cards featuring various species of whale.

Musical Masters
    - 16 musically minded cards featuring famous composers from throughout history.

Culinary Curiosities
    - 10 cards highlighting some of the oddest dishes and most bizarre delicacies from around the world.

THE GINTER CODE
    Be sure to keep an eye out for the Ginter Code. It will return, but in an all-new, surprising, engaging, and accessible format!
    The first one to crack the code will win a complete set of Framed Allen & Ginter Autograph Subjects!

HOBBY EXCLUSIVE BOX LOADER - HOBBY ONLY - ONE PER BOX!
    N43 Box Loader
    - 15 cards styled after the original N43 card and in the original size, featuring baseball players.

N43 Box Loader Relic
    - 10 of the above cards with a relic piece and hand-numbered to 25.

N43 Box Loader Autograph
    - 10 of the above cards with an on-card autograph and hand-numbered to 15.

N43 Box Loader Autographed Relic
    - 5 of the above cards with an on-card autograph, a relic piece, and hand-numbered to 5.

N43 Artifacts Box Loader
    - 5 cards featuring real relics from civilizations of days past. Numbered.

Baseball Highlight Cabinet Box Loaders
    - 5 cabinet-card-sized box loaders will feature a 2011 baseball highlight with superimposed mini cards of the players involved in the highlight.

Rollercoaster Cabinet Box Loaders
    - 5 Cabinet-card-sized box loaders featuring some of the most famous, fearsome rollercoasters from around the world.

Cabinet Relics
    - 10 cabinet-card-sized box loaders featuring relics you can't find anywhere else - full jersey pieces featuring player's names or numbers. Numbered 1 of 1.

Currency of the World Cabinet Relic Box Loaders
    - 30 cabinet-sized cards featuring an embedded coin from countries around the world. Numbered to 50.

WHAT WE PULLED

Cabinet Box Topper: Baseball Highlights Cardinals Win 2011 World Series

Base: 125/300 (41.7%)
    Dupes: 1
    SPs (12)

Mini Regular Back (12)
    Mini A&G Back (5)
    Mini Black Border (2)
    Mini Giants Of The Deep (1)
    Mini Man's Best Friend (1)
    Mini Musical Masters (1)
    Mini World's Greatest Military Leaders (2)

Baseball Highlight Sketches (3)
    Historical Turning Points (3)
    What's In A Name (12)
    World's Tallest Buildings (3)
    Solve The Mystery (3) - Not Scanned

Ichiro Mini Jersey

Prince Fielder Mini Jersey

Michael Morse Yellow Printing Plate 1/1

FINAL THOUGHTS

Base - 4/5
    Design - 5/5
    Fun - 3.5/5
    Value - 4.25/5
    Rebuy - 4.5/5

Overall - 21.25/25 (85%)

Pros:
    Great design work, perhaps the best since 2006's release
    Not over the top with non-baseball figures
    Lots of chase set, mini and regular sized cards
    Great for IP/TTM collectors

Cons:
    Boxes could yield duplicate base when you don't get half the set in a box
    SPs are 1:2 when they should go back to being 1:4

NPN Information:

NPN 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter BB
    PO Box 2098
    Duryea, PA 18642

Limit 1 request per household

Postmarked By: 10/10/12
    Received By: 10/17/12

Canada Skills Question: 11 x 6 + 4 - 14 = ?

Once again, I'd like to thank our wonderful sponsors at Topps for giving us the opportunity to open and review this release. For more information on all of their products, visit them today at www.topps.com.

As always, the base and inserts are available to the members for 30 days once this review has been posted. PM me with the card or cards that interest you. Only VIP members may make card requests for the first 48 hours.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Nice Cards. I really Like that you guys Post those type of threads :)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

Nice box. Can I request the Bailey Black?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Another amazing 1/1!
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Nice break! 1/1!
    Can I request the Baseball player mini's? Not all of them, we can share.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Blackhawks Chicago Bears
    Twitter: @Rick Polus

Nice break. I can't believe you got another printing plate, good job !

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

FINAL THOUGHTS

Fun - 3.5/5

Cons:
    Boxes could yield duplicate base when you don't get half the set in a box

Wait... why is this only a 3.5 in Fun? Ginter should score as one of the highest for 'Fun' out of any set, in my humble opinion! I also think that your Value score is a little high, the value has regrettably gone down for Ginter I think. But this is just my perception. Great review, even if I reserve the right to disagree :-D For what it's worth, I absolutely agree with the 5/5 for Design. The Design this year is GREAT. Also concur with SP's needing to be 1:4 instead of 1:2. Another thing worth mentioning is they made the Mini Inserts 1:8 OVERALL instead of each one individually being 1:5 or 1:6 or whatever they were last year. This, combined with slightly larger insert sets (minus the Endangered Animals, that one was 30 and is a good size) leads to more parallel minis being drawn and the insert minis are much more chase-able instead of flood-able. I have piles and piles of Step Right Ups, Portraits of Penultimacy, etc. Yikes!

Great, great review. I love Ginter. I foam at the mouth for Ginter. I have Ginter's release date on my calendar as soon as it is known. I try and bribe people at Topps to let me know when they will release it before they announce it's release date so I can have it on my calendar before anyone else. OK, I made that last one up, but if I were an unsavory character and knew how to get ahold of anyone at Topps, I just might.