Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Transferred Feedback
    TCC (64)
    Country
    See natep0212's Items on eBay

Tips for a driving test?

Hey guys, I have taken the driving test 2 times and failed both times (get very nervous when taking it). So I was just wondering if there is any advice/tips you guys could give?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hey guys, I have taken the driving test 2 times and failed both times (get very nervous when taking it). So I was just wondering if there is any advice/tips you guys could give?

Just passed it a couple of months ago.

Main thing is to try to stay calm and always err to the side of caution. Overemphasized looking both ways and basic stuff like that. Make sure to come to a complete stop at stop signs! Both of my sisters failed the first time because they didn't.

And lastly try to hide your nervousness as much as you can as it will make the instructor uneasy, be really nice and respectful.

Btw don't feel bad about it as a ton of people don't pass the first or second time, I knew a someone who took 8 tests before they passed.

Good luck!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Pirates Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

Just do it right...practice it as well

and remember to BUCKLE YOUR SEAT BELT!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very good point. My dad took me driving around the area of the dmv before the test.

If you have time get there an hour or two early and drive around the dmv so your familiar with it.

Transferred Feedback
    TCC (64)
    Country

Just passed it a couple of months ago.

Main thing is to try to stay calm and always err to the side of caution. Overemphasized looking both ways and basic stuff like that. Make sure to come to a complete stop at stop signs! Both of my sisters failed the first time because they didn't.

And lastly try to hide your nervousness as much as you can as it will make the instructor uneasy, be really nice and respectful.

Btw don't feel bad about it as a ton of people don't pass the first or second time, I knew a someone who took 8 tests before they passed.

Good luck!

stay calm and always what? Stop signs are fine. my first time was parallel parking, and second time was the backing up portion...and wow. that sucks. i hope i can pass the next time

thanks!

Very good point. My dad took me driving around the area of the dmv before the test.

If you have time get there an hour or two early and drive around the dmv so your familiar with it.

will have to do so

SCF Rewards
    Country

stay calm and always what? Stop signs are fine. my first time was parallel parking, and second time was the backing up portion...and wow. that sucks. i hope i can pass the next time

thanks!

will have to do so

Err to the side of caution meaning if you don't know what to do, always do the safest of your options.

That sucks that they make you parallel park though, they didn't make me do that, and I'm glad because I'm not very good at it.

Transferred Feedback
    TCC (64)
    Country

Thanks hope I can pass

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos
    See Just a buyer, no page.'s Items on eBay

Two things, although it's really only one.

1. Listen to the person giving you the test. Do EXACTLY what they tell you, no more, no less. NO NOT take any initiative here. Just follow orders.

This is also what you need to do when you get pulled over. No arguments with a cop! Ever!

These people have the power to approve or deny, or later, jail/ticket you or let you go free, and there's nothing you can do about that, so accept it, and deal with it however you can.

2. Drop the attitude!

This may not apply to you. I don't know you at all.

But I have a son who's 16, and just passed a few weeks ago, and that was my only advice to him. He passed the first time. Same with my daughter 8 years ago.

He's got a bunch of friends who can't pass to save their lives, and listening to them, there's one common theme.

At 16, they have all the experience and knowledge. The "old guy", giving the test, who been driving for 30 or 40 years, can't possibly know what he's talking about. Oh no. They are much smarter, far more experienced than he will ever be. After all, they have an entire 50 hours behind the wheel.

The point is, don't act like he or she is an idiot, and you know what your talking about. You don't. You can't possibly have any experience TO know what your talking about at 16. Not when it comes to driving.

Oh sure, you know far more about video games....... He doesn't care. This is not a video game here. This is the real world. Were talking about a 2,000 pound weapon that can kill someone, mostly yourself!

Understand?

This isn't criticism, it's advice. Advice that will serve you well your whole life if you take it to heart.

A smarter than thou attitude will get you nothing in life. Not when taking a drivers test, not when your pulled over, not when your working, and not when dealing with other people.

I try to tell my son's friends this same thing, but they just take it wrong, and will not listen.

"Yeah, yeah, I know..."

They still rely on mommy to get them anywhere, while my son is driving his Mustang.

Good luck!

SCF Rewards
    Country

As was stated. Be courteous and respectful, ma'am, sir the whole bit. Watch what you wear. Don't wear something that might be offensive to him/her. Make sure to use the mirrors and check blind spots. Parallel parking is not a timed event. Take your time. As was stated, since you've taken a couple of test you know the route(s) so practice there so you feel more comfortable. Before practicing tell your Dad the different things the examiner had you do. Have your Dad give you those commands on the route at different times without you knowing in advance where/when he would give them, like an examiner would do, if that makes sense. Don't worry about being a little nervous, the examiner has tested hundreds if not thousands and he/she knows most everyone is. Don't be late.

Good luck, third times a charm.

...Rick
    Last edited by NY Sports Teams; 05-29-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Transferred Feedback
    TCC (64)
    Country

Two things, although it's really only one.

1. Listen to the person giving you the test. Do EXACTLY what they tell you, no more, no less. NO NOT take any initiative here. Just follow orders.

This is also what you need to do when you get pulled over. No arguments with a cop! Ever!

These people have the power to approve or deny, or later, jail/ticket you or let you go free, and there's nothing you can do about that, so accept it, and deal with it however you can.

2. Drop the attitude!

This may not apply to you. I don't know you at all.

But I have a son who's 16, and just passed a few weeks ago, and that was my only advice to him. He passed the first time. Same with my daughter 8 years ago.

He's got a bunch of friends who can't pass to save their lives, and listening to them, there's one common theme.

At 16, they have all the experience and knowledge. The "old guy", giving the test, who been driving for 30 or 40 years, can't possibly know what he's talking about. Oh no. They are much smarter, far more experienced than he will ever be. After all, they have an entire 50 hours behind the wheel.

The point is, don't act like he or she is an idiot, and you know what your talking about. You don't. You can't possibly have any experience TO know what your talking about at 16. Not when it comes to driving.

Oh sure, you know far more about video games....... He doesn't care. This is not a video game here. This is the real world. Were talking about a 2,000 pound weapon that can kill someone, mostly yourself!

Understand?

This isn't criticism, it's advice. Advice that will serve you well your whole life if you take it to heart.

A smarter than thou attitude will get you nothing in life. Not when taking a drivers test, not when your pulled over, not when your working, and not when dealing with other people.

I try to tell my son's friends this same thing, but they just take it wrong, and will not listen.

"Yeah, yeah, I know..."

They still rely on mommy to get them anywhere, while my son is driving his Mustang.

Good luck!

thank you a lot!
    that may help me a lot

As was stated. Be courteous and respectful, ma'am, sir the whole bit. Watch what you wear. Don't wear something that might be offensive to him/her. Make sure to use the mirrors and check blind spots. Parallel parking is not a timed event. Take your time. As was stated, since you've taken a couple of test you know the route(s) so practice there so you feel more comfortable. Before practicing tell your Dad the different things the examiner had you do. Have your Dad give you those commands on the route at different times without you knowing in advance where/when he would give them, like an examiner would do, if that makes sense. Don't worry about being a little nervous, the examiner has tested hundreds if not thousands and he/she knows most everyone is. Don't be late.

Good luck, third times a charm.

...Rick

its actually been a different route each time, which i thought was weird

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast