Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See roaddogg02316's Items on eBay

Is TTM dying out? Opinions/experiences wanted.

I used to be big into TTM autographs. Used to send out a handful a week. All 4 major sports. Then I had other obligations to take care of so it took a back seat. Well my biggest time doing it was back in I'd say 04-05 til 07-08. I think the stamps had just risen again and from my records it looks like it was 2005. Not exactly sure what year it was but thats a guess. So I lost alot to Spring Training either because of the stamp price or just getting lost at complexes down there.
    I also was using home addresses from Harveys list.
    Well to me it seems like TTM is dying out. I know that year alot probably didn't get sent back because of postage, but thing is I always put myself as to and from so either way I'd pay extra postage if it came back. No big deal for a couple signed cards.

But I'm wondering is anyone else experiencing a shortfall of returns and for what reasons do you think? I know last year(2011) I had some cards I wanted to try and get done. Local guys all within the state, some even a couple towns away, used Harveys 07 list, so yes asking for failure to some degree. It was my most recent list so I figured what the heck.
    But funny thing is, I never got anything back RTS or anything! I'm wondering whats the deal? If the person isn't there anymore, maybe it just gets tossed or they got it and didn't want to answer.

Are players/retirees these days just not that interested in returning cards or did I just have bad luck. I know I'll never forget all those ones I lost back in 05 when the stamps changed. A shame because I would have paid the postage.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (139)
    Country

I have noticed a little less of returns but that is due to the time of year. The last 3 years I have been TTMing always around December to the first part of February, I don't get a lot of returns. Just to give an example:

Sent out 8 in December 2010 and only received only 2 back signed.
    Sent out 12 in Janaury 2011 and only received 6 back signed.

I usually get between 40-60 signed during the baseball season.

I am also sure there are some out there that just don't sign or don't want too. If I try them and don't get anything back I may try again but only one more time. I am also sure I have lost cards to stamp prices too. I don't worry about it b/c this I know it is part of the challenge. But I will agree that most players today compared to players in the 80s and 90s may not sign as easily TTM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have noticed a little less of returns but that is due to the time of year. The last 3 years I have been TTMing always around December to the first part of February, I don't get a lot of returns. Just to give an example:

Sent out 8 in December 2010 and only received only 2 back signed.
    Sent out 12 in Janaury 2011 and only received 6 back signed.

I usually get between 40-60 signed during the baseball season.

I am also sure there are some out there that just don't sign or don't want too. If I try them and don't get anything back I may try again but only one more time. I am also sure I have lost cards to stamp prices too. I don't worry about it b/c this I know it is part of the challenge. But I will agree that most players today compared to players in the 80s and 90s may not sign as easily TTM.

And the guys I had sent to recently as noted before were retired guys thru their home address. I just found it odd that even using an old list of Harveys list didn't get me a RTS or anything!
    Then there was ones I got off sportscollectors.net that were recently successful at the time. I got no return.
    Yes it is a gamble. Just stinks when ya lose cards. Times are changing in a bad way unfortunately.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have no basis for comparison from years past bc I recently started this, but my returns seem way down lately...

SCF Rewards
    Country

I took a break for a while and now I've got a half dozen that is going out. It's not dying. Some are just on hiatus.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I took a break for a while and now I've got a half dozen that is going out. It's not dying. Some are just on hiatus.

I think mine lost way back are in a permanent coma lol.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@rtghobbies

Ive pretty much walked away from doing it over the past couple of years- couple reasons for this
    1. There wasnt (until SCF set up their database) a really reliable, free site after Star-Tiger shut down (at least none that I was aware of)
    2. It got to the point with me where I had most of the athletes that I wanted via TTM- I started sending to anyone who I knew sent back- after a while, I realized that all these autos were simply clogging up space in my box- they werent of athletes I cared about, I just got hooked on the "getting something back" thing. Once I realized that, I cut down dramatically, to athletes I really wanted that I didnt have already.
    3. At nearly a buck per PWE send out- it gets pricy if you send to a lot of people. I did email autos for a while, but those are harder to get and again, I dont need every person who signs via email, I like keeping my collection more focused. I mean, what on Earth am I ever gonna do with the 400 college coach autographs that Ive obtained? I mean, really...

SCF Rewards
    Country

I started TTMing back in like 2000- I have to admit that my stats are way down since then; however, I believe that it may be because I have started to take huge gambles! I also think that due to Twitter and other Social Networking sited that the In-Person Hobby is thriving!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I also do In person. But only with minor league baseball and hockey that is local to me. So Pawtucket Red Sox(very odd way to get autos, you hang your stuff in milk jugs from the stands because there benches are built into underneath the stands) No luck that way. And I do the Providence Bruins. Lots of luck down there with hockey.
    I had tried to get Boston once at the practice rink, only got 3 guys and it was like a 2 hour ride. Now I see they won't stop. So I won't be making that trip again. And at the arena on gameday is very hectic so no point in that either. Plus if you go to the game there is nowhere to stow your stuff if they tell you that you can't take it in.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    New York Yankees New York Rangers New York Giants
    Twitter: @@ChrisWGamble

This time of year always seems to slow down. I slow down requests, in fact it has been a while since I've sent any out, and see less coming in. Things heat up again during the spring and summer. Nowadays you don't have to worry about the increases in postage thanks to the forever stamps being offered. I still get a bunch of returns from two address changes ago that manage to catch up to me.

There are still a lot of good signers out there TTM, some who you would be surprised sign. I wouldn't give up on the hobby, I think it is growing in many different ways. Social media sites, like mentioned in other posts, have given us a connection to athletes like never before. In person graphing seems to be taking off as well. I still think this hobby has a long way to go before it dies.

As for Spring Training, I have noticed my own returns from ST getting less and less but my in season requests have a much higher return frequency. Now, I know there are only guys who will sign during ST and I will try to get them during that period but I send more during the season than ever before. That could have something to do with your poor showing that one year.
    I collect NY Yankees, NY Giants, NY Rangers, NY Knicks, and NJ Nets. I am willing to trade. PM me if you have any cards signed by players from these teams.

Working on collecting all living New York Giants (football) and New York Yankees. The question is which team drives me nuts first!!!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast