Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Skydiver planning world record 120,000-foot jump from space

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...nlwYWdl;_ylv=3

This summer, Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner will attempt to break the world record for the longest jump, plummeting more than 23 miles from the Earth's stratosphere.

"I've done a lot of test jumps, so I'm good," Baumgartner confidently told Fox News before adding that he would "probably say a little prayer" before making the jump that could literally make his blood boil if something goes wrong.

Baumgartner has been preparing with retired Air Force Col. Joe Kittinger, who set the current world record back in 1960 when he made a 102,000-foot jump.

To prepare for the jump, Baumgartner will breath pure oxygen for nearly an hour to remove nitrogen bubbles from his blood. He will then stay at the peak elevation for three hours, allowing his body to adjust. He will then jump in a pressurized suit that will prevent his blood from boiling at the extremely high elevation.

And if all goes well, Baumgartner will set another world record during his jump, becoming the first human being to break the speed of sound in a free-fall jump.

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Some people are crazy. This guy is their leader. LOL

Not sure how he figures he might break the speed of sound, unless I missed something in physics class. The speed of sound is around 760 MPH. The terminal velocity of a human in freefall maxes out at around 210 MPH.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spaz4's Items on eBay

How long will it take him to actually make it to the ground? If he's jumping from essentially 22+ miles in the sky (did that calculation 3 times, because it seemed so insane), and assuming Duane's terminal velocity number is right, that's like 6+ minutes of falling. And that's faulty because, of course, he won't be falling at terminal velocity the whole time. Geez.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Green Bay Packers Cincinnati Reds
    See rchurchward22's Items on eBay

Check this out: http://www.redbullstratos.com/the-mi...sion-timeline/

Underneath the man, if you click on Ascent, The Jump, Stratosphere, Descent, and Landing, it explains a lot of what you guys are wondering. Because the atmosphere is less dense that high up it will enable him to reach a higher speed.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See redwingsfan11's Items on eBay

yea i've been waiting for this event for a while now. I wish i had the opportunity to do that. It would be so awesome.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Check this out: http://www.redbullstratos.com/the-mi...sion-timeline/

Underneath the man, if you click on Ascent, The Jump, Stratosphere, Descent, and Landing, it explains a lot of what you guys are wondering. Because the atmosphere is less dense that high up it will enable him to reach a higher speed.

Hmmm...so the concept is that the less dense air will create less resistance and allow him to fall faster. I guess the scientist have it all worked out and this English guy is just too logical LOL. I realized that the air was thin up that high, just didn't realize that it was thin enough to allow a quadruple of terminal velocity.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics
    COMC Cards For Sale

hope he burns up like a shooting star.

thats just stupid

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Pirates Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

Crazy but i like the idea

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See sp0odini's Items on eBay

I hope he's able to accomplish that, that's some crazy stuff.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See the_hockeycouple's Items on eBay

How big of a splash would he make if he cannonballed into a pool? That's what I want to know. :P