Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions about God

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Questions about God

This is not a religious bashing question but it is being asked to provoke thought and discussion. If God loves us, wants us to know his word and the truth then why would he allow so many different religions that all have their similarities but all have their differences? Also why is there no way to determine which religion(s) are real and which are false. Everyone will tell you that their religion and holy book is right but does anyone actually think that a holy book will actually say that it or its religion is wrong? What about someone who loves God in his/her heart and does everything that he/she feels is right by God. When they die they find out that even though they had good intentions they followed the wrong religion. Do they deserve to go to hell for all of eternity? Yes most holy books say they do but do YOU feel that they do? All thoughts and opinions are welcome.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I guess that all depends on an individuals take on what god contributes to the our world. I think this question would be more directed at people who believe in mapped out fate and every thing that happens to them in life was planned by god before it even happened. For these people I'd think it would be very interesting to hear their take. It would seem odd that a god that plans each person's path would plan a path that sent a person down the lines of believing a religion that wasn't this god's religion or even map it out for people to not believe. I guess there are ways to explain it under this fate belief, but it does seem very crappy for a god to map people's lives to follow a different religion other than his.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

veggie, great thread, but for me this will be one long reply.

so, "I'll be back"

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

This is not a religious bashing question but it is being asked to provoke thought and discussion. If God loves us, wants us to know his word and the truth then why would he allow so many different religions that all have their similarities but all have their differences?

Because God does not seek to control every finite detail of our lives. Using your logic, why doesn't God just smite all evil from the Earth and only allow us to have good, holy, righteous aspects in our lives?

Also why is there no way to determine which religion(s) are real and which are false. Everyone will tell you that their religion and holy book is right but does anyone actually think that a holy book will actually say that it or its religion is wrong?

This goes back to my previous response. Controlling which holy book is the right one would be the same as only allowing the one true religion to exist.

What about someone who loves God in his/her heart and does everything that he/she feels is right by God. When they die they find out that even though they had good intentions they followed the wrong religion. Do they deserve to go to hell for all of eternity? Yes most holy books say they do but do YOU feel that they do? All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

In my opinion, if you truly love "God" then the version of religion that you followed is moot. God in Baptist is God in Presbyterian is God in Pentecostal is God in Methodist is God in Church of God...you get my point. Follow the teachings of the Bible, live your life right and let the chips fall where they may.

And if you are truly dealing with these types of questions on a personal level...welcome to Agnosticism.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'll give you two answers, the first will be the one I WOULD HAVE given if I were still a christian, the second will be my CURRENT answer as an atheist.

First answer....the christian answer

When I was a christian I would have responded that the Bible is the word of god and as long as we follow it and believe in Jesus we are saved. As for anyone else, we don't know how god will judge them, as Humans we are not allowed to judge others and it is up to god's judgement and wisdom on how he will handle them, the only thing christians can do is pray for them.

Second answer......the atheist answer

Now, here is my current response: The fact that we so many religions and so many holy books and so many beliefs is a clear indication that all of this is either made up or all of them to some very small extent have some truth to it. However, NONE of them can properly demonstrate what God even is.

Seriously, forget about hell and heaven, most christians can't even tell you what God is, how is it that he has always been (in other words, who created god) and most importantly why is it that there is ZERO evidence for him?

When you start to question the bible you find out it's filled with inaccuracies and fallacies.

So how can the bible be the word of god if it's Inaccurate, god is supposed to be perfect.

All of this is a huge paradox, the inescapable conclusion is that christianity is not true, just like Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, and all the other religions.

How is it that Christians can look at Islam (which is basically the SAME thing as their religion) and mock it?

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

This is not a religious bashing question but it is being asked to provoke thought and discussion. If God loves us, wants us to know his word and the truth then why would he allow so many different religions that all have their similarities but all have their differences? Also why is there no way to determine which religion(s) are real and which are false. Everyone will tell you that their religion and holy book is right but does anyone actually think that a holy book will actually say that it or its religion is wrong? What about someone who loves God in his/her heart and does everything that he/she feels is right by God. When they die they find out that even though they had good intentions they followed the wrong religion. Do they deserve to go to hell for all of eternity? Yes most holy books say they do but do YOU feel that they do? All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

[Before posting, I'm going to say this is not meant to start a fight, these are genuine thoughts and questions based on my own personal experiences. Any generalization are made with the knowledge that all generalizations are false...including that one]

Here's a question. Why do so many people who believe in the right to do/say/choose whatever they want always wonder why God doesn't control humanity with an iron fist? Is he really supposed to? Does a God who lets people live their lives go against the God you have in mind when you deny his existence?

Churches over the years/decades/centuries have often tried to control the people with an iron fist, is this why you think God would do that? And is this a reason you don't believe in a God? Because he should be controlling, but no one is controlling us? Have you considered that he is controlling humanity in a way completely different from what you think he would or should?

Pretty much every religion preaches that God gave us free will and it's our job to take that free will and use it for good, to spread his word, praise him, help others, etc. but he won't make us. Just because he gives the option of screwing up doesn't mean he condones it. You ask why would he allow suffering? I ask what should he do? Intervene every time an injustice is done? That would take away our free will.

As to this particular question, I would say that God gave humanity free will and humanity has used it to disagree about how to properly use that free will in relation to God.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

alex, all i can do is smile.

the christian answer is based on who and what? that is not my answer.

if we go about saying someone cannot prove god, all we have to do is point out science. science does not have all the answers, neither do us christians, science uses common sense and creates hypothesis, so do christians.
    just like science cannot start at the beginning and work its way forward, neither can christians. just like science is a generic term so is the term christians.

if we look at archaeology we see numerous sites found talked about in the bible, no jesus' tomb has not been found, but neither has genghis khan's.

when we look at historical documents, manuscripts that are taken as pure truth, such as the works of josephus, only date back to the 10th century, 900 years after the fact, but references to jesus that date back to the 4th century and even the 1st century are not considered real.
    don't think i don't know you can "go old testament style on me", but i will have to honestly say, ask me in another 20 years and maybe i will have figured out enough about jesus to move on to the OT.

the idea of multiple lifestyles, cultures, languages, religions, and beliefs, are do to two main factors, one is the enviroment, and second, and most important, is free will.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

[Before posting, I'm going to say this is not meant to start a fight, these are genuine thoughts and questions based on my own personal experiences. Any generalization are made with the knowledge that all generalizations are false...including that one]

Here's a question. Why do so many people who believe in the right to do/say/choose whatever they want always wonder why God doesn't control humanity with an iron fist? Is he really supposed to? Does a God who lets people live their lives go against the God you have in mind when you deny his existence?

Churches over the years/decades/centuries have often tried to control the people with an iron fist, is this why you think God would do that? And is this a reason you don't believe in a God? Because he should be controlling, but no one is controlling us? Have you considered that he is controlling humanity in a way completely different from what you think he would or should?

Pretty much every religion preaches that God gave us free will and it's our job to take that free will and use it for good, to spread his word, praise him, help others, etc. but he won't make us. Just because he gives the option of screwing up doesn't mean he condones it. You ask why would he allow suffering? I ask what should he do? Intervene every time an injustice is done? That would take away our free will.

As to this particular question, I would say that God gave humanity free will and humanity has used it to disagree about how to properly use that free will in relation to God.

First, I am quite certain veggieman believes in God. Not sure why you assumed he didn't.

To the bolded part; if this is true why do so many christians believe otherwise?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

alex, all i can do is smile.

the christian answer is based on who and what? that is not my answer.

if we go about saying someone cannot prove god, all we have to do is point out science. science does not have all the answers, neither do us christians, science uses common sense and creates hypothesis, so do christians.
    just like science cannot start at the beginning and work its way forward, neither can christians. just like science is a generic term so is the term christians.

if we look at archaeology we see numerous sites found talked about in the bible, no jesus' tomb has not been found, but neither has genghis khan's.

when we look at historical documents, manuscripts that are taken as pure truth, such as the works of josephus, only date back to the 10th century, 900 years after the fact, but references to jesus that date back to the 4th century and even the 1st century are not considered real.
    don't think i don't know you can "go old testament style on me", but i will have to honestly say, ask me in another 20 years and maybe i will have figured out enough about jesus to move on to the OT.

the idea of multiple lifestyles, cultures, languages, religions, and beliefs, are do to two main factors, one is the enviroment, and second, and most important, is free will.

First bold: Care to provide any examples of Christians using common sense as it relates to the Bible?

Second bold: multiple beliefs? Are you saying they are born out of free will? Could it be argued that the creators of Hinduism, Buddism, Islam, etc used their free will to decieve followers into believing in their religions?

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I've never met a Christian who denied the existence of free will and I've never known a Christian who though free will was a tool of the devil.

As for veggieman, I have no idea what he believes. As I said, there's a lot of generalizations in there and in my experience, the people who ask, "Why would a God allow this" tend to be non-believers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast