Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Country

Halladay for FREE! But how much $ did you spend to go to Spring Training to get it? And I believe the Peyton Mannings ttm are FAKE

SCF Rewards
    Country

I spent $250 for a Mario Lemieux IP. I have no problem spending for an IP of a person I really want.

I'm all about getting auto's for free and have plenty of those, but some players are only available at shows for x price.

Im in the same boat as Walker. I collect mainly to meet the player in person. An auto is just a scribble unless it has a story behind it. I pretty much remember every player i met in person. I love photo ops so I only try to do autograph signings where there is a photo op available or I know they are normally good with getting photos. The most i spent to meet a player was Mcnabb for 150 at the Eagles carnival. Like i said i don't mind dishing out the cash if its worth it in my opinon and get to meet them.. I only collect Eagles players. Or i get them at training camp.

SCF Rewards
    Country

This place never ceases to amaze me.

SCF Rewards
    Country

This place never ceases to amaze me.

i agree..
    Last edited by Riggs; 07-01-2012 at 11:11 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

Zero.

With enough work and patience, you can get almost anyone. But hey, if you want to throw money at it instead of working for it, that's your thing. I'd rather save the money and slowly chip away at the stone instead of buying dynamite and blasting it away.

BANNED

Country
    See phillyfan5064's Items on eBay

it all depends, i know people who just collect certified highend card from like topps and ud, they just spend hundreds of dollars and have a cool collection, but to me that is not a real collector. a real collector is someone who actually goes out and gets autos ip at games and signings and does ttm rather then just spend all thier $ and brag about their great collection when they have no story behind any auto. a lot of my autos i have gotten have great stories behind them because i went out and got them. i understand buying some stuff and i do that too, i mean i know i will never get allen iverson ip or ttm again since he stopped signing so if i come across a good deal i wont pass it up. but im not one of those people who just have a great collection but has spent thousands of dollars on it. to me the person who best auto is a Chase Utely signed jersey but waited 2 hours in the rain to get it signed deserves more props then someone who has the mj signed jersey but spent $500. just my 2 cents

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I mainly collect basketball autographs. As long as I can get to the autograph section without any static from the autograph police I walk away with some sigs. From what I heard baseball works the same way. Using this technique I have been able to stack up my basketball autograph collection pretty easy. I also did some ttm for football, hockey, baseball and nascar. However if money was not an issue I would pay for a jordan auto because he is the best in the business as well as he does not sign for free. I would also pay for a walter payton auto because he was my childhood hero not to mention that he is no longer with us.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See daytondragon's Items on eBay

My post may have been misunderstood, the only auto's I would pay for through a site like ebay are deceased players. As far as paying for other current or living auto's the only way I would pay is at an autograph signing or some thing like that where the person hardly ever signs in public and I have kids and things going on so I cant camp out at the stadiums like some people do. I would prefer to get auto's at games and in person as much as anyone else. I in no way will acquire a massive collection by being the last person to bid on an item.....LOL.

BANNED

Country
    See phillyfan5064's Items on eBay

im not saying i dont want a jordan its just i dont like it wen ppl brag about a collection that they put no work into and just bought

SCF Rewards
    Country

I really think this question is specific to each individual person. I read how some people go to games a couple times a week or maybe they camp out at a hotel for hours or maybe they are a high school student or college students or maybe they are a parent with a full time job. Some people just have time while others don't. It's really about your lifestyle and what you can do or are able to do. I'm sure some of us would love to have the amount of time people here do, but it just isn't feasible.

Also what do you consider "free?" Did you send a TTM three times before getting that signature? Did you drive 3 hours each way to get a "free" autograph? At one point or another, we all pay for it whether it's buying a jersey or photo or baseball or baseball card or spending gas money or buying stamps.

This all comes done to preference and how much you can afford. A majority of players I want are not in my area, so when they are around, I go and spend the money. I have the money, so that makes it easier for me then trying to chase them down at some point in my life. But the next person might prefer chasing them down. It's about what "you" want to do.

In the end, we all want that autograph, so regardless of how we get it, we should be happy.
    Last edited by walker066; 07-01-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast