Inventory sorting by card number a little wonky?

It appears if you sort by card number it will list 10, 11, 12 before 1, 2, 3.

http://www.sportscardforum.com/scf/i...554/1/sort/num

http://www.sportscardforum.com/scf/i...1/sort/numdesc

Then if you sort the other way it will put 9, 8, 7, 6 as the last cards ending the sort in 13, 12, 11, 10.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Yeah, that's like that all over baseball too. Drives me crazy for big sets, but oh well. Ive noticed it is only like that when a letter is involved in the card #.
    Purdue University Class of 2018
    Hidden Content
    Andrew Bailey: 189/240 not including 1/1's (78.8%); 203/436 cards including 1/1's(46.6%)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhoya View Post
    Yeah, that's like that all over baseball too. Drives me crazy for big sets, but oh well. Ive noticed it is only like that when a letter is involved in the card #.
    ahhhh Thanks for pointing that out. Didnt put that together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

This is the best sorting we can get to keep card number accurate. That is really a mnaufacturer's choice. If card are all number , that is not a issue, same if letter only but when mix, the issue is we only have one SQL function that will do both depending on the content but yet can't figure out the number after letter unless it was padded with zero. But if we do this the the card feild number would not be accurate when you look at what is on the card and what is in the database. So a quesry for a given card number would fail and not a option to do this.

If card manaufactuer had only one once of sense, they would know we store cards in database and this type of sorting is a issue. But is this even a issue for them to think about after market issue? Their sales are done when the cards are out.

The only viable solution is to create a second card number feild, then if all letter only I copy the value as is, same if number only. Then for a set that we do have teh same first letter(s) followed by number Then I can remove the letter before the number and store only the number. Now this would work only on card set page and I could use that column to do the sorting and that would fix it. But the issue is that It take a while to run a script on all 5 million cards and would only do this when my work load is a lot less then it is now as I put a low priority on this modification.

Now I do not want to add a other layer to sort cards as we already are taking a lot of processor time to make the current queries we have asn I don't want to overload server with added Ram processor sorting. Not counting all the code change this would involve to make it work all over the application.

But for all issue, there is always a easy way out. I knowI find all of them since I hate to loose time. CTRL + F and type the card number and it jump right on it. Also good on set page with 600 cards to move much faster...
    Last edited by CoolHandLuke; 07-08-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    Hidden Content

I collect all Montreal Canadien. Hidden Content for player, teams you collect