Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Ben Affleck gets into argument with Bill Maher over Islam

When you are further out there than Bill Maher, you have a problem..

The conversation got heated on the most recent episode of “Real Time with Bill Maher” when Ben Affleck got into a spirited debate with the outspoken host over radical Islam, reports Rob Shuter of Naughtybutnicerob.com.

Author Sam Harris opened up the conversation when he opined, "The crucial point of confusion is that we have been sold this meme of Islamophobia where every criticism of the doctrine of Islam gets confused with where every criticism of the doctrine of Islam gets conflated with bigotry towards Muslims as people. That is intellectually ridiculous."

The “Gone Girl” actor then asked, “Hold on — are you the person who officially understands the codified doctrine of Islam?" He continues with, "(Your characterization) is gross and racist. It's like saying, 'Oh, you shifty Jew!"

Later Maher said, “It's the only religion that acts like the Mafia — that will f**king kill you if you say the wrong thing, draw the wrong picture, or write the wrong book."

"What is your solution? That we condemn Islam?" Ben retorted. "We've killed more Muslims than they've killed us by an awful lot, and we've invaded more Islamic nations. But we're exempted from these things?"

Dimwits like Affleck live in a bubble under a rock. He needs to go visit ISIS and see if they are truly as harmless as he seems to think radical Muslims are.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Another celebrity talking out his back side. Shockingly he has a movie coming out this weekend.HMMM
    "Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here". Jack Nicholson
    The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deception, the one who lies with sincerity. ~André Gide
    My Bucket
    Hidden Content

It sounds like Affleck thinks that it is perfectly OK for Islam to attack us in America because that would only make things even. Hope they plan their attack somewhere other than Ben's neighborhood because I would hate to see him inconvenienced with his house getting bombed.

This is coming from the future Batman...... ugggh!

I haven't watched the interview, but from the quotes above it seems like Affleck is taking offense to the lumping of all muslims into the group of extremists like ISIS. Obviously there are lots of muslims who do not wish to exterminate all people who are not also muslim. I think that is the core of his objection, which makes sense to me. On the same note, I can agree with Harris in that islam radicals are not above criticism either. Obviously there are different sects of islam that have different interpretations of what they think the religion stands for... just like any other religion.
    Check out my NEW FaceBook Fan page of my abstract painting and graphic design work!!!
    Hidden Content

Haha, how delicious....watching conservatives take the side a hardcore atheist leftist like Bill Maher, he's an unabashed anti-theist too.

And while I do agree with a LOT that Maher has to say, I'm kinda split on this issue, although I am leaning towards Maher's position.

And yeah, I agreed when he said that many liberals are too soft on Muslims, that's true.

But, I think a lot of it has to do with the shameless hypocrisy that is American Christianity.

And here comes the all important caveat....NOT ALL Christians are like the far right lunatics, but nonetheless when a religion can point out ALL the flaws to another religion like the way so many American Christians do for Islam, you would think that MAYBE, just maybe they could see the million flaws with their own religion.

Unfortunately, that's not really the case, especially for many in the far right that can say that the earth is only 6000 years old, evolution is a lie from the devil, and deny any and all science that contradicts their beliefs....

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Cards View Post
    I haven't watched the interview, but from the quotes above it seems like Affleck is taking offense to the lumping of all muslims into the group of extremists like ISIS. Obviously there are lots of muslims who do not wish to exterminate all people who are not also muslim. I think that is the core of his objection, which makes sense to me. On the same note, I can agree with Harris in that islam radicals are not above criticism either. Obviously there are different sects of islam that have different interpretations of what they think the religion stands for... just like any other religion.
    But the subject of discussion was radical Islam, not Islam as a whole, so if he took offense it was a self-generated issue because no one within the discussion was lumping all of Islam into one. If you read Sam Harris' opening statement he essentially says that the issue with criticizing Islam is that dimwits like Affleck rush in to call that criticism racism or bigotry and as Harris says, that is intellectually ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAlex View Post
    Haha, how delicious....watching conservatives take the side a hardcore atheist leftist like Bill Maher, he's an unabashed anti-theist too.

And while I do agree with a LOT that Maher has to say, I'm kinda split on this issue, although I am leaning towards Maher's position.

And yeah, I agreed when he said that many liberals are too soft on Muslims, that's true.

But, I think a lot of it has to do with the shameless hypocrisy that is American Christianity.

And here comes the all important caveat....NOT ALL Christians are like the far right lunatics, but nonetheless when a religion can point out ALL the flaws to another religion like the way so many American Christians do for Islam, you would think that MAYBE, just maybe they could see the million flaws with their own religion.

Unfortunately, that's not really the case, especially for many in the far right that can say that the earth is only 6000 years old, evolution is a lie from the devil, and deny any and all science that contradicts their beliefs....
    Maher can be right on issues occasionally. I just can't stomach watching him bloviate incessantly like an idiot so that I can enjoy his rare enlightening moments. For point of reference, I feel the exact same way about Bill O'Reilly.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

many in the far right that can say that the earth is only 6000 years old, evolution is a lie from the devil, and deny any and all science that contradicts their beliefs....
    this is such a minority that I can't believe you are still stuck on it. Also, when they begin to kill anyone not in their religion and plan to take over the world, we can align them in the same lunatic fringe. Otherwise you have two minorities that are not similar at all, except in your mind.
    Jay Shrewsbury
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    But the subject of discussion was radical Islam, not Islam as a whole, so if he took offense it was a self-generated issue because no one within the discussion was lumping all of Islam into one. If you read Sam Harris' opening statement he essentially says that the issue with criticizing Islam is that dimwits like Affleck rush in to call that criticism racism or bigotry and as Harris says, that is intellectually ridiculous.

Maher can be right on issues occasionally. I just can't stomach watching him bloviate incessantly like an idiot so that I can enjoy his rare enlightening moments. For point of reference, I feel the exact same way about Bill O'Reilly.
    Ah, it seems like he was commenting on all of islam. Harris' quote did not mention radical, but maybe he was implying it based off of the overall conversation being about that. I'll have to watch the interview sometime.
    Check out my NEW FaceBook Fan page of my abstract painting and graphic design work!!!
    Hidden Content

Sam Harris is actually one of my favorite atheists. While I obviously disagree with many of his views, he is much more analytic and logically consistent than a lot of the ones I run into online who think so highly of themselves, and he doesn't parade faux empathy for women and blacks like so many of the liberal left atheist white males do.

Anyway, the broad argument of "oh, it's up to interpretation" comes up a lot in theism. Yes, but some interpretations ultimately make more sense than others when considering context, history, etc. of the texts of holy books. As such, both opponents or proponents of theism should read holy books and familiarize themselves with the context, history, and counter-arguments to the actions and beliefs of theists.

Let's take decapitation in Islam. Are there any verses in the Quran about it? Let's take a look:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/qu...apitation.html

8:12 "I will throw fear into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Then smite the necks and smite of them each finger."

47:4 "Now when ye meet in battle those who disbelieve, then it is smiting of the necks until, when ye have routed them, then making fast of bonds; and afterward either grace or ransom till the war lay down its burdens."

These are two verses that address smiting necks rather directly.

Can we take these any other way? Any surrounding context that can alter the meanings?
    Collecting Acie Law, Adam Morrison, Anthony Tolliver, Antoine Walker, and OKC Thunder (name/uni on card). Have lists: Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; and Hidden Content .
    BUCKET: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast