Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The 6 Most Popular Crime Fighting Tactics (That Don't Work)

Check out this article... and yes I know it is Cracked, whatever it brings up some good points.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19937_the-6-most-popular-crime-fighting-tactics-that-dont-work.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&u tm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

Especially the last one. If anyone thinks that capital punishment is worth while they simply must believe it for the first reason they describe. Revenge and vengeance only. A vengeful and pitiful country is not one I want to be a part of in any way. Criminal penalties should be about prevention and deterrence... not revenge.
    Last edited by sobersoul; 07-23-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: cleaning up my awful grammar

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Yet another article written by an idiot with no concept of what he is talking about...

#6 - Aside from the idiotic concept that dogs are racially biased, dog searches are not ever meant to be 100% fool-proof. And because a dog hits on a person and that person doesn't have contraband doesn't mean that the person doesn't have residue or trace amounts of a drug on them. Dogs are trained to target minimal scents, not only the scent of a pound of pot or a kilo of cocaine.

#5 - Car chases are not crime prevention. They are attempts to catch criminals. Let's just hope that this idiot never has to witness his family members be a victim of a crime and hear the cops say "Sorry buddy, we don't do chases anymore. Let's just hope the perpetrator gives themself up."

#4 - Just stupid. Period. Just stupid.

#3 - Red light cameras don't cause accidents, drivers who aren't paying attention to traffic lights and slam on their brakes cause accidents...and the people who are following too closely cause accidents. If people knew how to drive then the red light camera wouldn't even be needed.

#2 - Dry county laws don't cause alcohol related accidents. Irresponsible idiots who drink and drive cause alcohol related accidents.

#1 - The death penalty is not a crime deterent, it is a punishment for crimes already committed. And the death penalty DOES reduce violent crime...not a single person who was executed ever committed another violent crime.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

6 - I don't care if innocent people get frisked and searched. If a dog sniffed me, I wouldn't claim something like racism or prejudice because IT'S A DOG.

5 - See the post above this for my thoughts on car chases. I know police don't chase down someone if it's too dangerous and, as sad as it is, yes there are risks associated with every single car chase. Cops don't go on a car chase for petty theft, though. They chase for genuinely serious crimes.

4 - Again, the above post is correct. In dense urban areas, this actually holds some water, but everywhere that's not a NYC, LA, Chicago, Toronto, Vancouver type of place it's just not and, I hate to tell the staff at Cracked, but drugs are not just an inner city problem. Treating them as such is beyond stupid and shortsighted.

3 - Again, see above. If you have to slam your brakes to avoid a red light ticket, you deserve a speeding ticket or a driving without due care and attention charge.

2 - I actually agree with this one.

1 - Again, see above. This one is only different because you have to decide if laws are meant to deter would-be criminals or punish have-been criminals. In the first instance, yes capital punishment is less than useless. If there is any aspect of the second instance in your laws, then it does its job.