Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The Names of the One True God, and their meanings

EL, ELOAH: God "mighty, strong, prominent" (Genesis 7:1; Isaiah 9:6) – etymologically, El appears to mean “power,” as in “I have the power to harm you” (Genesis 31:29). El is associated with other qualities, such as integrity (Numbers 23:19), jealousy (Deuteronomy 5:9), and compassion (Nehemiah 9:31), but the root idea of might remains.

ELOHIM: God “Creator, Mighty and Strong” (Genesis 17:7; Jeremiah 31:33) – the plural form of Eloah, which accommodates the doctrine of the Trinity. From the Bible’s first sentence, the superlative nature of God’s power is evident as God (Elohim) speaks the world into existence (Genesis 1:1).

EL SHADDAI: “God Almighty,” “The Mighty One of Jacob” (Genesis 49:24; Psalm 132:2,5) – speaks to God’s ultimate power over all.

ADONAI: “Lord” (Genesis 15:2; Judges 6:15) – used in place of YHWH, which was thought by the Jews to be too sacred to be uttered by sinful men. In the Old Testament, YHWH is more often used in God’s dealings with His people, while Adonai is used more when He deals with the Gentiles.

YHWH / YAHWEH / JEHOVAH: “LORD” (Deuteronomy 6:4; Daniel 9:14) – strictly speaking, the only proper name for God. Translated in English Bibles “LORD” (all capitals) to distinguish it from Adonai, “Lord.” The revelation of the name is first given to Moses “I Am who I Am” (Exodus 3:14). This name specifies an immediacy, a presence. Yahweh is present, accessible, near to those who call on Him for deliverance (Psalm 107:13), forgiveness (Psalm 25:11) and guidance (Psalm 31:3).

YAHWEH-JIREH: "The Lord Will Provide" (Genesis 22:14) – the name memorialized by Abraham when God provided the ram to be sacrificed in place of Isaac.

YAHWEH-RAPHA: "The Lord Who Heals" (Exodus 15:26) – “I am Jehovah who heals you” both in body and soul. In body, by preserving from and curing diseases, and in soul, by pardoning iniquities.

YAHWEH-NISSI: "The Lord Our Banner" (Exodus 17:15), where banner is understood to be a rallying place. This name commemorates the desert victory over the Amalekites in Exodus 17.

YAHWEH-M'KADDESH: "The Lord Who Sanctifies, Makes Holy" (Leviticus 20:8; Ezekiel 37:28) – God makes it clear that He alone, not the law, can cleanse His people and make them holy.

YAHWEH-SHALOM: "The Lord Our Peace" (Judges 6:24) – the name given by Gideon to the altar he built after the Angel of the Lord assured him he would not die as he thought he would after seeing Him.

YAHWEH-ELOHIM: "LORD God" (Genesis 2:4; Psalm 59:5) – a combination of God’s unique name YHWH and the generic “Lord,” signifying that He is the Lord of Lords.

YAHWEH-TSIDKENU: "The Lord Our Righteousness” (Jeremiah 33:16) – As with YHWH-M’Kaddesh, it is God alone who provides righteousness to man, ultimately in the person of His Son, Jesus Christ, who became sin for us “that we might become the Righteousness of God in Him” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

YAHWEH-ROHI: "The Lord Our Shepherd" (Psalm 23:1) – After David pondered his relationship as a shepherd to his sheep, he realized that was exactly the relationship God had with him, and so he declares, “Yahweh-Rohi is my Shepherd. I shall not want” (Psalm 23:1).

YAHWEH-SHAMMAH: "The Lord Is There” (Ezekiel 48:35) – the name ascribed to Jerusalem and the Temple there, indicating that the once-departed glory of the Lord (Ezekiel 8—11) had returned (Ezekiel 44:1-4).

YAHWEH-SABAOTH: "The Lord of Hosts" (Isaiah 1:24; Psalm 46:7) – Hosts means “hordes,” both of angels and of men. He is Lord of the host of heaven and of the inhabitants of the earth, of Jews and Gentiles, of rich and poor, master and slave. The name is expressive of the majesty, power, and authority of God and shows that He is able to accomplish what He determines to do.

EL ELYON: “Most High" (Deuteronomy 26:19) – derived from the Hebrew root for “go up” or “ascend,” so the implication is of that which is the very highest. El Elyon denotes exaltation and speaks of absolute right to lordship.

EL ROI: "God of Seeing" (Genesis 16:13) – the name ascribed to God by Hagar, alone and desperate in the wilderness after being driven out by Sarah (Genesis 16:1-14). When Hagar met the Angel of the Lord, she realized she had seen God Himself in a theophany. She also realized that El Roi saw her in her distress and testified that He is a God who lives and sees all.

EL-OLAM: "Everlasting God" (Psalm 90:1-3) – God’s nature is without beginning or end, free from all constraints of time, and He contains within Himself the very cause of time itself. “From everlasting to everlasting, You are God.”

EL-GIBHOR: “Mighty God” (Isaiah 9:6) – the name describing the Messiah, Christ Jesus, in this prophetic portion of Isaiah. As a powerful and mighty warrior, the Messiah, the Mighty God, will accomplish the destruction of God’s enemies and rule with a rod of iron (Revelation 19:15).

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

Don't let all the christians hear you calling God by any of those names. They won't take kindly to having a God with such a "mooslim-sounding" name. Oh, and you forgot gorillawits' favourite name for Him; "BIG BANG". That's what we non-believers apparently call Him.
    Last edited by habsheaven; 07-27-2012 at 07:39 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

Jesse, glad you started this thread.

so getting back to ABBA Father.

abba is an aramaic word. it is used in the context of addressing your father in a respectful and loving way. In stead of saying "yo pops i got it", you say, "yes father I understand, thank you.

so when Jesus spoke to God, His Father, in Aramaic he would use the word Abba, when He spoke Greek He would say Pateras, or in Hebrew He would say Av.

the use of the word Abba in the NT shows to me that one reference was Jesus crying out to God, saying Father, Father, (in english) or Abba, Abba in Aramaic. The other use would be to dictate in english that he is not saying dad, but rather Father and was added to the text to denote this point, no doubt that this was done around the same time the Bible was put together and other terminology was added to Christianity.

So it is my understanding that the use of the term Abba Father is saying Father Father, Padre Padre, Pateras Pateras, or Sifu Sifu.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Jesse, glad you started this thread.

so getting back to ABBA Father.

abba is an aramaic word. it is used in the context of addressing your father in a respectful and loving way. In stead of saying "yo pops i got it", you say, "yes father I understand, thank you.

so when Jesus spoke to God, His Father, in Aramaic he would use the word Abba, when He spoke Greek He would say Pateras, or in Hebrew He would say Av.

the use of the word Abba in the NT shows to me that one reference was Jesus crying out to God, saying Father, Father, (in english) or Abba, Abba in Aramaic. The other use would be to dictate in english that he is not saying dad, but rather Father and was added to the text to denote this point, no doubt that this was done around the same time the Bible was put together and other terminology was added to Christianity.

So it is my understanding that the use of the term Abba Father is saying Father Father, Padre Padre, Pateras Pateras, or Sifu Sifu.

Awesome! Thank you! That's a far better explanation than I've ever heard.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Don't let all the christians hear you calling God by any of those names. They won't take kindly to having a God with such a "mooslim-sounding" name. Oh, and you forgot gorillawits' favourite name for Him; "BIG BANG". That's what we non-believers apparently call Him.

Also "Socrates" for anyone who uses logic.