Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are gluten free diets a dietary fad?

Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

It's largely a fad. Every time some new illness comes out that's easy to treat, everyone thinks they have it and have to stop it when it's not a legitimate problem for them. There are true Celiac Disease sufferers out there, but are there as many out there as there are people claiming they need to go gluten free? I highly doubt it.

Its not a fad for those actually allergic to gluten.
    Purdue University Class of 2018
    Hidden Content
    Andrew Bailey: 189/240 not including 1/1's (78.8%); 203/436 cards including 1/1's(46.6%)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhoya View Post
    Its not a fad for those actually allergic to gluten.
    +1

When you know someone who's throat swells when they eat gluten and they have a hard time swallowing other foods, which in turn cause choking, it's not a fad.
    Undercover Pope
    Hidden Content
    BuckHidden Content t
    Hidden Content - Hidden Content SportsCardBlog - FacebHidden Content k
    I ship on Tuesdays & Wednesdays - Hidden Content

My mom is allergic, but just gets massive migraines. Not as severe as what you mention.
    Purdue University Class of 2018
    Hidden Content
    Andrew Bailey: 189/240 not including 1/1's (78.8%); 203/436 cards including 1/1's(46.6%)

any diet is a dietary fad because diets are a quick fix to a long term issue and in the end solve nothing

Quote Originally Posted by theonedru View Post
    any diet is a dietary fad because diets are a quick fix to a long term issue and in the end solve nothing
    ^^^^ This^^^^
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by theonedru View Post
    I think you are confusing the usage of the word "diet" in this instance. If I told you my child was on a strict "no peanut" diet would it be a fad? The word can be used to describe temporary eating habits as well as permanent life-long eating habits.
    I am always looking for Habs cards seq #'d 24/xx
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

I use pennysleeve, toploader with a decoy card, team bag and bubble envelope. No PWE's

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by habsheaven View Post
    I think you are confusing the usage of the word "diet" in this instance. If I told you my child was on a strict "no peanut" diet would it be a fad? The word can be used to describe temporary eating habits as well as permanent life-long eating habits.
    ^^^This.
    Some people need a gluten free diet. Most people who are on a gluten free diet, however, were on atkins for no reason and will be on to the next one soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by habsheaven View Post
    Why does anyone want to tell your child they are on a "diet" to ghave them one day start to question why they are a "diet". People equate diets with things like weight loss and being unhealthy, is this what people want their kids to possibly interpete? We need to teach them the difference between a diet and a life style change

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast