Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See murtaugh_2388's Items on eBay

Anyone or is it worth it to stock up on cheap HOFers, like Jordan, N. Ryan, Gretzky,

I was just looking at COMC and there are 100's of Nolan Ryan, Jordans, Mannings, and many others that have very cheap cards like .25 or less in alot of cases. Now I know most are from the early 90s and were produced by the millions, but on the other hand they are all HOFers. Now I'm not talking buy every single one, just a decent amount. I am thinking long term like say 20 years or so. Basically long enough that when the time comes I could sell them to pay for my daughters education or help her with it, or maybe a down payment for her house when she gets married. I was just curious if anyone stocks up on these types of cards, or if they just stick the better cards of these players and others. The way I figure if I buy now at .25 could I sell for 1.00 15-20 years from now. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Just my opinion but I don't think cards will be worth much in the future. People think because older cards are worth a ton now that if they buy cards now, the same thing will happen. The only reason those cards are worth thousands today is because people didn't know they could be worth money. People just put rubber bands around them or put them in their bicycle spokes.

SCF Rewards
    Country

These cards will still not be worth much in the future. Being a HOF player doesn't really mean anything. People now would rather have stuff of Bryce Harper instead of Nolan Ryan or Lebron James instead of Michael Jordan. In 20 years there will be somebody else that somebody will want to replace them.

Something just has value because of supply and demand. Since the supply of Jordan stuff isn't going to go down you would have to bank on demand going through the roof on cards that nobody cared about during the height of Jordan mania. I guess that could happen but you would be better off placing that money into a precious metal to invest in the future.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Blowout (63)
    Country
    See nhsportsguy's Items on eBay

I agree with the previous posters - the scarcity is what adds to vintage value, not age alone. The problem with 85-97 cards is that they were WAAAAAY over produced. A card you buy for .25 today, will only go up in value with the inflation of the dollar; it will not actually appreciate in value.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I honestly don't see any point in getting those .25 cards and waiting for them to appreciate in value. I really don't think they ever will.

From my personal view of what is going on right now in the hobby, it looks like the stock market....but with modern cards. Take Bryce Harper for example...everyone was buying his cards like crazy before his call up to the show. After buying, everyone waited to see if he performed well, and after he did they all sold their cards for more than they bought them for. Now everyone is waiting on him to possibly get Rookie of the Year (Trout will win I think) and sell those cards they bought again for even more.

The modern cards appreciate in value much quicker than vintage right now from what I've seen, or it's just that I've been out of vintage for too long lol. It's all about the hype of prospects and rookies right now and how high you can sell them before they make their debut and after if they perform well.
    Last edited by MarcusMaximus06; 08-09-2012 at 02:23 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Like some said the reason why older vintage stuff is more valuable now than then, is the idea that no one knew they would be. They didn't think to keep them, cause who would think someday they would be worth something. If they did, most likely trying weren't trying to keep them "mint." Hence, why you pay a premium for higher conditions.

Just say '85 and on it doesn't work like that! Not only the over production, but majority of people that know what they have keep good care of stuff. Think about it, you pull a Harper it's instantly in a magnetic. Back in the day, you pull Mays it went on the back of your bike! They made way to many, and when You pulled a MJ you kept it.
    Last edited by TPotts; 08-09-2012 at 02:32 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See murtaugh_2388's Items on eBay

thanks guys for your input, i defianlty see what your saying, i just thought maybe that some of these cards might dry up 10 to 15 years from now, therefor increasing in value a little bit, but after reading your comments and some other threads on cards and opening a card store i think i'm going to go a different direction, thanks for the input again