Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Paul Corby ... Please read

    His name is Paul Corby, he is 23 years old and because he was born with left ventricular noncompaction, which mean the left side of his heart cannot sufficiently pump blood. He was also born with Pervasive Developmental Disorder making him autistic and because of this the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania had decided to not give Paul his life saving transplant. I am not writing this so we can blame the left or right or this person or that person or to have this thread degenerate the way a thread here normally goes. I am asking that you please sign the petition so that Paul can have a chance to live. Just think if you know someone with autism they to can be denied a life saving transplant. Thank you to all who help support Paul.

    http://www.change.org/petitions/help...art-transplant


  2. #2
    are you stinking kidding me? because he has autism they won't give him a transplant? i am against whoever came up with that idea regardless of party or anything else. that is just flat out wrong!!!
    bucket:Hidden Content

    Wants: Anything mma as well as nice texans patches

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ensbergcollector View Post
    are you stinking kidding me? because he has autism they won't give him a transplant? i am against whoever came up with that idea regardless of party or anything else. that is just flat out wrong!!!
    It is not that simple. With most transplants(except kidneys), people need to take immunosuppressants. Part of getting an organ is if the patient will take his medicine. If his behavioral disorder is too severe, he may refuse to take the medicine. Organs are hard to get. People have to be compliant to get them, since they are so rare.

    They do pyschiatry evals on patients with schizophenia and bipolar all of the time before they can get a transplant. Because he has an autism spectrum disorder, he gets to be special?
    Last edited by drtom2005; 08-17-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    Hidden Content
    My new site at MYHOBBYCARDS:
    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  4. #4
    I signed the petition. I would be interested in knowing exactly what the hospital committee had to say about this, although I can't imagine there is a valid excuse for it.
    I am always looking for Habs cards seq #'d 24/xx
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

    I use pennysleeve, toploader with a decoy card, team bag and bubble envelope. No PWE's

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by drtom2005 View Post
    It is not that simple. With most transplants(except kidneys), people need to take immunosuppressants. Part of getting an organ is if the patient will take his medicine. If his behavioral disorder is too severe, he may refuse to take the medicine. Organs are hard to get. People have to be compliant to get them, since they are so rare.
    I am pretty sure that his mother and family is going to make sure that he takes his medicine. This is something that you do not use general data. You need to go on a case by case basis. has he been taking his medicines so far? This are the questions you need to ask. The doctors know how good or bad he can be when taking medicines or treatments.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by angel0430 View Post
    I am pretty sure that his mother and family is going to make sure that he takes his medicine. This is something that you do not use general data. You need to go on a case by case basis. has he been taking his medicines so far? This are the questions you need to ask. The doctors know how good or bad he can be when taking medicines or treatments.
    Yeah, and kids/adults with autism sometimes refuse to take their medicine. I'm siding with the hospital on this one unless more data comes out.
    Hidden Content
    My new site at MYHOBBYCARDS:
    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  7. #7
    If this guy can write a book I think he can take his medicines.....

    Seriously the guy is an author of a children's book

    http://www.amazon.com/Isaac-Runner-P.../dp/0578104504

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by theonedru View Post
    If this guy can write a book I think he can take his medicines.....

    Seriously the guy is an author of a children's book

    http://www.amazon.com/Isaac-Runner-P.../dp/0578104504
    That has nothing to do with medicine compliance. It's not if he can understand how to take medicine, it is if he will take it.
    Hidden Content
    My new site at MYHOBBYCARDS:
    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by drtom2005 View Post
    It is not that simple. With most transplants(except kidneys), people need to take immunosuppressants. Part of getting an organ is if the patient will take his medicine. If his behavioral disorder is too severe, he may refuse to take the medicine. Organs are hard to get. People have to be compliant to get them, since they are so rare.

    They do pyschiatry evals on patients with schizophenia and bipolar all of the time before they can get a transplant. Because he has an autism spectrum disorder, he gets to be special?
    An autistic girl was refused a kidney transplant because of her autism as well not sure if it was by the same hospital

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by theonedru View Post
    An autistic girl was refused a kidney transplant because of her autism as well not sure if it was by the same hospital
    It is not about the autism, ultimately. It is if the person will take the medicine. They are plenty of examples of people with different mental illinesses(bipolar, schizophrenia, etc) not getting transplants, because their disease was not under control.

    Would you say the same thing about a non-medicine compliant schizophrenic (he may or may not have his autism under control, I do not know)? I surely would not want them getting an organ. They are too rare right now.
    Last edited by drtom2005; 08-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    Hidden Content
    My new site at MYHOBBYCARDS:
    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •