Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Philadelphia Phillies New Jersey Devils
    See arfmax's Items on eBay

Common free local autographs in your area-potential deals for others?

Hi. As many of you know from my other posts, I live in the suburbs of Chicago, and there are a couple of former players that are constantly doing free signings, whether it is promotional appearances for a particular store, or a weekly radio show, etc. For me, the ones that are most common are former Chicago Bear ('85 Champs) Steve "Mongo" McMichael, former Chicago Bear ('85 Champs) and member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Dan Hampton, as well as former Bear Tom Waddle, former Bear Ed O'Bradovich and Doug Buffone, and others. These guys end up being around so often that I generally don't even really notice these signings, and I have no cards or photos left for any of them. However, when someone from out of town sees them on a free autograph list, they get very excited to add them to their collection.

I am thinking that if this happens in Chicago, it must be happening in other cities. For you avid autograph collectors, are there any players that appear so much in your area that it barely even registers and you don't have any cards or photos left for them to sign? As an example, when I was at the National this weekend, I was chatting with someone who said he lives in Texas, and Earl Campbell is sitting at the supermarket near him signing free autographs all the time.

I'm thinking that maybe we could arrange some swaps, trading someone who is common in-person for you for someone who is common in-person for someone in another city.

Let me know what you think, and who this might apply to. I'm thinking the Philly Ink guys would definitely have some players that fit into this category.

-arfmax
    Working on autographed 1987 Topps Baseball set:
    Total Cards in Set:792/Total Autographable: 760 (6 Checklists, 26 Team Leaders)
    Total Autographed:639!
    Currently Sent (Outstanding):44
    Percent Complete:84.1

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    BO(28)
    Country

My area always has free guys at the card show. I would trade you for them. Mainly baseball. Send me a pm with who signs In Chi town we could trade!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm a philly guy and I'd be interested in comparing lists with people in other geographic areas.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See daytondragon's Items on eBay

The only two guys I can think of and they usually do a free or cheap signing at least once or twice a year are George Foster and Ickey Woods. I will be getting both hopefully in the next two weeks. George will be at a Buffalo Wild Wings near Cincinnati as kind of a sit and watch the game with a former player thing. Ickey Woods will be at my LCS this coming Saturday for there in shop card show of about 10 tables, he will be signing for donations to some charity (I will only be getting him if I can come up with the funds to get a Bengals mini helmet in time).

SCF Rewards
    Country

Former 49er Bubba Paris signs at the Walmart a few miles from my house ALL THE TIME lol. It's not free, but it's not incredibly expensive either. There's never a line lol he's just chillin at a table by himself.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

My local minor league team usually brings in 3 or 4 past "legends" to sign every year. Unfortunately all are done this year. I have gotten Jose Canseco and Gaylord Perry there free of charge. Names this season included Perry, Doc Gooden, Rod Carew, and Fergie Jenkins.
    2012 Topps Series 1&2 Ip/ttm auto set: 267.3/660=40.5%

SCF Rewards
    Country

In the philly area Greg Luzinski and Tommy Greene share a radio show in the summer. Bill Clement has a hockey show in the winter

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See nextspeed's Items on eBay

Detroit Pistons' shooting guard Rodney Stuckey has a deal with Meijer and have been signing for free at appearances he makes for the stores in the local area. Detroit Lions' offensive guard Rob Sims have been co-hosting the local Lions sportstalk radio show during the season for the past couple of seasons. Former NFL offensive tackle Lomas Brown is always making appearances in town, whether it's for charity events or free signings. And of course, I work with former NFL kicker Eddie Murray, who makes appearances for free signings in the area as well.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Whever there is a free autograph signing as long as I don't have to work and is not out of the way I go. I don't care if I just got the guy yesterday. You can always buy more base cards if you run out of items for the ballplayer to sign.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Navy
    Atlanta Braves Tennessee Volunteers Tennessee Titans

If anyone is ever going to these signings, I will pay you to grab an auto for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast