DATW basically Pwaldo is right in trying for the UD sets but you could also do what I do in factoring what sets to make and such. There is alot of steps I look into when making a set the are as follows.
- Design of the cards-Sometimes I look in how a card looks to see if it appeals to me if I wanted to get any IP autos or if catches my eye.
- Can I count on getting a complete set out of 1 box or a good start on a set that doesn't have any SPs or varations in the set.
- Can I count on getting help here with fellow traders on SCF to help me complete the set with my wantlist of needs and will be intrested in what I have to offer in trade from the set to help another collector finish theirs.(case in point also how long with the list be on my wantlist and hopefully someone can help)
- Can I depend on my local shop in having any singles from the set or some more boxes then just one.
- Am I able to locate the other series boxes if needed from my local shop or online or fellow traders here on SCF(case in point currently I am looking for any 2006 UD UPDATE boxes to complete the 2 sets I am making of that)
- How current is the set and back to when I mentioned in #3-5.
- Will making the set be worth the effort I put into making it when I look at it when its complete(case in point I like looking at some of the old sets I made and remember when I pulled a certain card from a box or made a certain trade with someone to complete it as well try to recall what were the hot and not so hot ones from that year)
- Are there good prices in finding any starter lots online or from fellow collectors that might want to trade for their lot(case in point I traded once a 200 starter lot of a set that were dupes to me for stuff I needed for another set and they were very thankful as was I when I finished my set)
- What are others saying about the set collation or their reviews on what they think of the cards itself in the set and is it worth the $$$$(case in point when my friend made the 2008 UD Set I told him I didnt care to make it too much of a hassle but then after buying alot of mixed packs from shows I had a good starter in the 2008 UD set so I descided to go for it and well its been worth it)
Those are some of the steps I go through in making sets and if ya need help dont hesitate to ask and Ill let ya know if I have any singles from the set your making or not and make a deal.
"Any ballplayer that doesn't sign Autographs for little kids Ain't an American. He is a Communist"-Rogers Hornsby on Signing an Autograph as a Manager in 1942 with the St. Louis Browns.
I would consider the Fleer Tradition sets and update sets starting in 2002.I had a blast opening up the boxes.2002 was the first time they made the first 100 SP's (not as scarce as todays) so should not be a problem putting them together.