Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My new scanner. Best $60 I've ever spent!!

I've been wanting to get a scanner for a while for my card collection. Obviously, I wanted something that could equally handle raw cards (modern and vintage), as well as graded cards, and in one touch cases and top loaders.

I did some research, and based on the feedback of many on different sites, I decided on a Canon Canoscan 8400F. This flatbed scanner met the requirements I had. 1.) It had to have a charge-coupled device (CCD) scanning element. Your average all-in-one scanner/fax/printer will have a CIS element, made for text documents. The CCD allows for clear scanning of elements with some depth to them, important especially for BGS slabs. Second, I wanted a cold cathode fluorescent lamp for the lighting souce. LED light sources tend to cause streaking, especially on metallic-looking cards, or heavily reflective cards.

I get it yesterday, downloaded the driver and software from the Canon website, and got cracking. Let me just say, also, that Canon's email support was top notch. I contacted them three times overnight and got quick, courteous, and helpful responses each time within the hour.

This scanner is 8 years old guys. It cost me $45 plus about $16 for shipping. I'm adding a one year warranty through Ebay.

It goes without saying I am thrilled with this scanner. I scanned at 300 dpi, and used Photoshop CS to do some slight tweaking of color saturation (typically on darker cards), and used a less than 1 point unmask filter. I resized the cards, and saved them as .png file types. That's it. The scanner cropped all the cards for me (obviously, in the future, I'll put a lighter piece of paper behind the darker cards so the edges stand out more.

The results, I think, are spectacular:

Raw cards are no problem, vintage or modern:

Want to do a scan of a card in a top loader? It comes out great:

Thick jersey cards are no problem, either. They scan beautifully:

What about cards in one touch hard cases? They come out perfect once again, regardless if the card is a vintage card, or a modern card:

But often the hardest thing for a card collector to scan are the graded cards. They, too, come out beautifully. PSA...BGS...doesn't matter:

It rare that something exceeds my expectations, but this scanner has just blown me away. I bought an 8 year old used scanner, and Canon answered my every question. I think they now have a customer for life.

If anybody is looking for a way to scan their cards, this is it, gang. These things will pop up on Ebay, and they're an inexpensive solution.

I am a happy collector tonight!
    Last edited by the 'stache; 09-01-2012 at 01:54 AM.
    Collecting pre-war, vintage and modern baseball cards.
    Currently working on the T206 set, 1975 Topps, master collections of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount.

great quality for such a cheap price! nice pickup! looking forward to see some more of your collection :D
    THERE'S ONLY ONE TEAM IN LONDON!
    New York Yankees/New England Patriots/Boston Celtics/Boston Bruins/Arsenal/UCF/UConn
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content - Hidden Content

looks and sounds as if you got yourself a great deal there

Beautiful scans,and the cards ain't bad either,nice investment that will surely make your money back.
    Do something nice for someone everyday, it will pay off in the long run.

Let us Pray.Hidden Content

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    TR (18)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    i have a canon mx439...and im loving it..i used to have to scan a card then crop it then onto the next...well my new one now i can put 8 cards down evenly spaced and it scans them all and auto crops them all individually and saves them..so its getting a heck of alot easier for me sto scan my common inserts and such just incase i can find someone who wants them lol

Just bumping this thread up to help anybody looking for a really affordable scanner for their card collection. I've had this now for over 6 months, and I'm scanning like mad. And as you can see from these raw cards I got in the mail just today, the CanoScan is still knocking them out of the park. There's 2 on the 'Bay right now for $65 delivered. Can't beat that.

I hope this thread helps a fellow forum member out. I throw everything I can at it, and it just laughs, and asks for more. And as I mentioned before, when I first got the scanner, I had a million questions. I emailed Canon support, told them I'd bought this thing used, and they answered every single question I had, and quickly (like within an hour or two, even overnight). That's how you build loyalty.

If only Topps treated their customers as well...
    Collecting pre-war, vintage and modern baseball cards.
    Currently working on the T206 set, 1975 Topps, master collections of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount.

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench(79)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Nice scans might have the get me one
    I am an avid Atlanta Braves Auto collector. I am in the process of updating all my autos to a spreadsheet and organizing them. I am always looking for Atlanta Braves RCs Autos and also nice veteran autos.
    Havelist: Hidden Content

I got an Epson Perfection V30. It has the CCD element and is AWESOME for vintage. But it has LED lighting and is TERRIBLE for anything shiny. Wish I would have known about the Canon when I got it. It would have worked better for my modern cards and saved me $30. Oh well. You live and learn.
    Looking for all Roy Campanella cards: base, inserts, GU, anything I don't have is fair game.

Almost as if I'm looking at them in person. Great buy!

Those scans look great. An 8 year old product, huh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast