Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: A small eBay rant

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See lesracing's Items on eBay

A small eBay rant

I haven't been dealing with eBay much over the past several years. The small purchases of a few cards here and there. Lately I have been buying much more often as well as actually having sold a few things. I get a notice for ALL current eBay members (it goes into effect 10/10/12) and NEW ebay members (goes into effect as soon as you sign up) that they are changing some of their policies. So now I have no chioce if I want to buy or sell, I am turning over my life blood it seems, LOL

Has anyone that deals with eBay actually taken the time to read all the new changes? I did and this one I find extremely distrubing, and I'm really glad I have not given them my cell phone number to link. Check it out:

"Pursuant to the eBay User Agreement, you agree that eBay, its affiliates, agents, and independent contractors may contact you at any telephone number you provide to us or from which you place a call to us, or any telephone number at which we reasonably believe we may reach you, using any means of communication, including calls or text messages using an automatic telephone dialing system and/or prerecorded messages, even if you incur charges for receiving such communications.
    You also agree that eBay may monitor or record telephone conversations with eBay or its agents for quality control and training purposes or for its own protection."

It looks like PayPal is now in a big push to get you to link a cell phone to your account. I guess they will change their user policy as soon as they can add more phone numbers to their database. And most likely, eBay will share with PayPal and vice versa since they are affiliates of each other. Just kind of scary!

What do you all think about this? Anybody have any concerns on how they are invading your privacy? What sucks is the only way to not be a part of it is to not use eBay at all. Oh how things have changed since eBay started.
    Last edited by Lesracing; 09-07-2012 at 01:45 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See tmorrow1957's Items on eBay

First off, good to see ya around Buddy!! I sent ya a couple emails to see how you were doin since I don`t see ya around anymore. Didn`t hear back from you lol.

Seems like ebay is tryin to put themselves out of business lol. I saw on a discussion on NUTS that paypal is requiring you to get a green dot debit card to add money to your paypal account. And they charge you a 4.95 a month fee. I suppose ebay/paypal has a stake in those cards also. Since I don`t have much in the way of extra money anymore I rarely get on ebay anymore and haven`t been on paypal in a couple years I guess lol. Ebay is gettin alittle to big I think, or at least think they are lol.

People are gonna start drawin the line at some point. Maybe that`s what it`s gonna take.

Good to see ya back around my friend!! Hope that you and the family are doin better!!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See akedhead's Items on eBay

i use ebay a lot-honestly i dont care about the phone thing-its part of the new age of business and saving themselves. it is what it is.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See lesracing's Items on eBay

Tom, not sure when you sent the emails, but I didn;t receive them. If it was before my old computer went down, they are long lost. I checked all the files on the new computer (including the junk folder) and I don't have anything from you. I wasn't ignoring you, just didn't know you had written. Maybe we'll have a little phone chat and catch up again? LMK!

First I've heard of a green dot thing on PayPal. I fund all my stuff through a special bank account. If I don't have it, I don't spend it. They can't take what I don't have, LOL

Stephen, I sort of agree, but you should be able to expect some sort of privacy from others that you do not wish to deal with that would not even know you from Adam if not for eBay. I think that is one reason why we have been getting so many junk calls on my home phone. I've had problems with one specific group that keeps calling and from many different phone numbers, but each time it's the same message. I'm now doing *57 after each call, and then I'm going to file a police report. So far, in 4 days, I've received 10 calls from 6 different phone numbers and each one the same company (if you hold on and then request to speak to a manager, they hang up on you). This is the kind of stuff that will happen more often as eBay has already begun to sell phone list to their 'customers'. It could be real bad for people that have cell phones listed and pay for their minutes or text messages.

Sad part is, I have already been informed by the phone people that even though I am on the National Do Not Call list, if eBay sells them my number because they are party to eBay, the company would not be in violaton of the Do Not Call list because I have given my permission to "eBay, it's affliates, agents or independant contractors". I lose my rights! :-(

Just sayin' buddy!