Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jjygelly008's Items on eBay

Are local card shows worth going to anymore?

Hey guys,

When I used to collect back in the day, i found most of my individual cards from my local flea market. since that place is long gone, I am considering hitting up a local card show with 50 tables in jersey.

do you guys think local card shows are worth going to these day? are there typically good deals? what's the best deal you have gotten recently?

Thanks!

BANNED

Country

They're typically aren't worth going to for trading anymore, I recently brought down a 2011 BP bryce Harper prospect auto and they said it booked 175$ when it books 250$. I told them and showed them online but no one would give me the full trade value. For buying, it's tricky. Make sure you know eBay prices of the cards and looks around to see if there overpriced, if they are, avoid them. I'm still young so they do take advantage over me, just always remember prices.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I haven't been to a show in a few years but would love to go to. I would do it if I were you. No telling what you may find.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

We don't have Local Card Shows where I live, which is sad, because I live in a pretty big market (Portland, OR)

SCF Rewards
    Country

If they have a high fee to enter a show then it probably won't be worth it but there are finds at these things. I always see people who went to shows or flea markets on here finding absolute steals. Of course I never find a place like that but you never know and can't find a steal unless you look for one.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Mainecards42's Items on eBay

If you have a chance to go why not... Just make sure you know your prices so no one rips you off. Many dealers try to sell things much above the normal value.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett(71)
    Country
    See jamarchand2012's Items on eBay

I go to one card show a month. It is an hour or so from where I live so it isn't a huge time investment. It is a free door so I am not actually money into it unless I am leaving with cards. I do one of two things at these shows. I show up early and nail the crap out of the .10 and .50 bins if I am looking for trade bait. In the past six months I have easily scooped up $250 in trade bait for under $20 doing this.
    The other thing that I do is use the environment against the dealer. The show isn't very busy so I show up with about 90 minutes left in the show. When I go there with this idea in mind I am going to pick up PC things. I know where I would want to pay for these things. I typically throw out a fair offer. If they accept it I am happy. If they don't I walk around, go to the next table and let the thought of the money walking away ruminate with the seller. Card shows are NOT ebay. The audience is very very captive. I will always go back and offer a few bucks less than my original offer because there are penalties for not taking the first offer and realistically at that point I have probably already spent some more money. My SOLE exception to this is if buying that card would vault itself into my top 10 Kobe cards. At that point, if I like the card THAT much, I will ask my wife to go to the ATM to get me more money to make sure I can negotiate on said card.

For my money, card shows are worth it. At the very least, the hobby interaction is good. If you are looking for, say, a 1996-97 Chrome Kobe you can put the word out with the people there to keep you in mind that you are looking for that card. THis might not be a great example because it is an iconic card but lets say instead of a $300 card like the Chrome you are looking for....a 2003-04 Bowman Chrome refractor of player X. The more people you put onto something the better.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@the_jrussell See jrussell_sig's Items on eBay

There is a free show once a month in Memphis and I think it is just a good place to meet other collectors. There is actually a pretty fair amount of trading that goes on and I have been able to pick up some things at a great prices too. And if you want to set up a table it only cocts $25. Another great thing about having a local show is that you get to see parents bring their kids in to introduce them to the hobby. It is good to see the next generation of collectors be able to go to a show and start to build their collections.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Go to the show! I just like talking to the dealers and looking at the cards even if I don't buy anything. Sometimes you will meet people there who are just trying to unload their stuff and you can get some good deals. Other times you will meet people who don't have the internet and prices are crazy. It depends, but its always fun to me.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hey guys,

When I used to collect back in the day, i found most of my individual cards from my local flea market. since that place is long gone, I am considering hitting up a local card show with 50 tables in jersey.

do you guys think local card shows are worth going to these day? are there typically good deals? what's the best deal you have gotten recently?

Thanks!

Nothing much at shows in terms of bargains.

All drip and dry unless your after singles to complete sets I won't even bother going to one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast