Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (96)
    Country

My Ovechkin Make-A-Wish Experience and PC!

Following up on my post...
    https://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...d-to-be-said-)
    Read that post first to understand the whole thing :)

But this is my Make-A-Wish story, where I got to meet the "Great 8" Alexander Ovechkin! Before the 2004 draft, I was an all out Wings fan, every other team could suck it, Wings fan die hard. Then I saw this new kid, Alexander Ovechkin, he was a born scorer, a hard hitter, and loved the game more than anyone I had seen before. He quickly became my favorite player, and I remember my mom buying boxes of 05/06 UD2 trying to get that infamous Ovechkin rookie card, I had never really been into cards before then, but I guess knowing I could get his rookie got me into it...I don't know haha. I remember when she pulled the first Ovie YG we ever got...We sold it on eBay for 100 bucks...We figured we could pull more, which we did :) Since then I've probably seen and dealt around 10 Ovie YGs, I have 2 in my PC now that aren't moving. One for the Ovie PC, one for my 05/06 S1 and S2 YG Complete Set :D On another topic, when I was diagnosed with my lymphoma, I was 17 (almost 18 like I state in my first post...my bad :P) But that few months between me turning 18 actually made me eligible for a Make A Wish! My first thought was to meet Ovechkin, but over the months I had to decide, my mind wavered like crazy, should I meet someone else, should I have a card shopping spree (That one was the other front runner!! Haha!) But in the end, I chose to meet the player I loved since I first saw him play. Of course this was a while in advance we found out I would get my wish. We would be in DC for 5 days, Monday through Friday, with the only game I'd see being Tuesday.
    We got to stay in an amazing hotel, which I cannot remember the name of for the life of me...but at a bad time, there was construction right across the street! Not the easiest time sleeping. Along with me were my parents, (divorced), my dad's girlfriend, and my best friend Brad. I'll skip ahead to game night and the video.

Take into mind I was a tad chubbier because of my meds in this...haha
    It doesn't show me being given an auto'd jersey of Ovie before the game, I flipped...lol. Before the game we got to go down into the penalty and announcer box to watch the players for warm up. Then I was stunned to be told I was announcing with the announcer bringing the Caps onto the ice...I was so scared...But as you see in the video he is stunned I kept up with him! Haha. Then we were taken up to our suite where Brad and I spent maybe half the game haha. In between periods, (Islanders up 1-0) We were taken to the video trucks where they set up the TV feeds (Never seen so many buttons in my LIFE) Then I got to meet George McPhee, the general manager, and ironically enough he said to me "Bring some luck to the Caps!" As he shook my hand. Then I got to ride the Zamboni in between the 2nd and 3rd periods, And I talked them into letting Brad ride the other! :) After that we were shown the Wizards, Capitals, and the Georgetown Basketball practice facilities! Then the next clip of us on our feet is after Trow Brouwer cut the score to 2-1 Isles with around 5 mins left. Was looking grim till then! Then the next clip is after Brouwer TIES the game with 20 seconds left...Then...as only a storybook could write it...Ovechkin comes flying up the wing in OT on his forehand...and put a bullet of a shot through Evgeni Nabokov's pads to win the game...Couldn't have scripted it any better...Then when we were introduced to him and Jason Chimera after the game...I just was speechless. I couldn't believe what was happening...this couldn't have turned out any better if I had tried to DREAM it better. My mom asked him what his favorite American food was...and he replied with "Pizza!" Then looked at Chimmer and said... "Wait...that's not Ameri....Big Mac!" Haha Then he hands me a bag holding a signed pair of practice used skates...which are my size...! Apparently we have the same size skate! Unbelievable! Then Chimera gives me the stick he used in the game...Autographed and inscribed...Truly a dream come true.

Recap video with video of stuff I got from the Wish!

Now that being said, when I started collecting, I never imagined I would get any rookie card better than his YG...But through my trading experiences here and on other sites...Here is my Ovechkin PC to date, with 2 cards incoming
    Not showing off regular GU cards, only better stuff :)

Ultra RC

Beehive RC

Beehive GOLD Border RC (Never seen another copy!)

Young Guns!

Black Diamond RC

Black Diamond RC BGS 9.5

OPC Premier Signings /50

Ovechkin/Backstrom Dual Significance 8/25!

Autofacts SP

ITG H&P Auto SP

NHCDA Auto

RC Year Ultimate Signatures AU

RC Year Fresh Ink AU

RC Year Glacial Graphs AU

Cup Enshrinements AU

Cup Enshrinements AU (Both are 43/50!)

Private Signings AU

Ovechkin/Malkin Dual GU/AU /15

And the ones I thought I would never acquire...in my wildest dreams!
    His TRUE RC AUTOs!

Ovechkin/Kovalchuk Rookie Update Dual AU SP /199

Ovechkin/Kovalchuk Rookie Update Dual AU SP /199 (Yes, 2!)

SP Authentic Future Watch AU /999 (My first holy grail...)

Hot Prospects RPA SP /199

And then...I know people have a lot of different opinions...but I love Ultimate Rookie Autographs of players, I consider them their best true rookie card...and that brings me to my favorite Ovie card..

Ultimate...Rookies...Autograph...SP /299

So that's my show and tell guys...If you've stayed this long, I thank you. and hope you enjoyed! :)

BANNED

Country

Wow. I'm truly glad I could contribute to your amazing PC, though the cards I sent pale in comparison to that Ultimate!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I actually saw that video a couple of days ago and thought it was really cool. Also, that is an amazing PC. Especially since Ovi's cards aren't cheap.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See flopscards's Items on eBay

Amazing story, congrats on battling through it. Being around the same age as you, I could not imagine what life would be like. Truly amazing story! Keep up the battle, and I think you made the right choice over the hockey card spending spree :P

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Blmdear's Items on eBay

Awsome!!!!!! Simply awsome!

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants New York Yankees New York Rangers

Just a great story brother......being a Rangers fan I am not a big fan of Ovie........I actually live in the DC area.\

This has certainly changed my mind on Alex and thrilled that you had a great time.....the video is amazing. I wish you the best and will say a prayer that you are better sooner than later.

By the way, I hate that damn buzzer at the Verizon center.....when I go to see the Rangers there that stupid buzzer haunts me as I have seen several losses there.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Great story and nice Ovechkin collection.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

Make a Wish a wonderful organization!

I have a number of friends that we have met over the last 4+ years who's kids have the same disorder that Olivia does and have had wishes completed for them. It's amazing to see stars like Ovie make himself available to fulfill wishes! These are the stories that we do not always see. I am glad that you had an amazing time!

btw - nice cards!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@22collector See rtsportscards28's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

This thread should deffinantly be a sticky. Amazing story!

Riley

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

That's an awesome story, thanks for sharing it! Great to hear that the Caps organization made your Wish come true in grand fashion!
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast