Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jmlalala's Items on eBay

i think what some people mean by overvalued is the fact that a nice Mark Scheifele Cup Patch went for around $2,500 around release and are still going for over $500 easy....while the best Dominion patch so far of him went for $300. same print run, hard signed auto, and i think the patch on Dominion is still a tad bigger despite a decrease in size from last year, yet the Cup kills it in terms of sale value.

same goes for just about every player but i used Scheifele as an example cause of the ridiculous 1st sales. either way, i'd personally take a Dominion RPA over the The Cup RPA anyday, especially the 10-11 design but even this years design as well

SCF Rewards
    Country

i think what some people mean by overvalued is the fact that a nice Mark Scheifele Cup Patch went for around $2,500 around release and are still going for over $500 easy....while the best Dominion patch so far of him went for $300. same print run, hard signed auto, and i think the patch on Dominion is still a tad bigger despite a decrease in size from last year, yet the Cup kills it in terms of sale value.

same goes for just about every player but i used Scheifele as an example cause of the ridiculous 1st sales. either way, i'd personally take a Dominion RPA over the The Cup RPA anyday, especially the 10-11 design but even this years design as well

+1

I'm just thankful that the Dominion RPA's are that much more affordable right now since I like the design and patch quality better. I might feel differently if I'd invested in the wax, but to acquire singles, yay for the collector!

Sooner or later the market will adjust, But for now I agree, buy low while you can.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Defaultlie's Items on eBay

That's pretty sensational.

I called it loyalty. Sometimes it's pretty difficult to chance the course, especially in difficult economic times and when there is over-capacity in the market.

I really don't know is it good or bad thing? I mean loyalty to Upper Deck, but I do know that market seems to fall and fast. Let's see how Artifacts works..

Harri

This is absolutely the right answer. Loyalty has a lot to do with why The Cup has much better resale value over similar Dominion cards. Just like most things in life, people have their preferences. Upper Deck has been around for longer in the hockey market and The Cup has always been THE product for high end collectors (since its inception). Not to mention when you add another high end product to the market place, you have two times the amount of cards, with many collectors not being able to dish out 2x the cash to purchase their favorites. Since many people have grown to love The Cup, many will choose their cards over their dominion counterparts. Simple economics: supply goes up, demand goes down...and due to the reasons listed above along with a some others, Dominion will be at the short end of this stick for the foreseeable future. Panini just needs to keep putting out high quality sets along with new innovative cards and eventually they will chip away at this edge or hope for a gigantic crash from UD (which is always right on the brink of happening in one way shape or form depending on who you ask).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See havocjlb's Items on eBay

Dominion's /99 include Macenauer and Strait. How can collectors care if the company doesn't care about keeping it the best of the best? I pulled a Larsson /99 today and check the checklist to see 10 /99. The Cup has 5, and SHOULD only have 3, RNH, Landy and Couturier (I would have made Henrique a 4th), they are hard as hell to hit, thats why they are so valuable.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See flopscards's Items on eBay

Umm, how is The Cup's Spectrum /25 the same as Dominion's Gold RPA /25? I only incorporated RPA's in my comparison. I compared RPA with RPA's. I would call The Cup's Tag Auto /5 it's own subset, The Cup Spectrum /25 & Black RC /1 are it's own subset, there are no autos or patches whereas Dominion is an actual RPA numbered to /25 & /1.

Dominion RPA's run Regular, Gold /25, Emerald /5, Black /1 + the Horizontal RPA # to Jersey
    The Cup's RPA's run Regular + Gold # to Jersey

That was my comparison, at least 31 more RPA's of each player. And it's not about how many copies of each version there are, it's the fact that there are that many different versions of essentially the same type of card. Anyway, those are my observations and my opinion, misconceived or not.

You're right, Dominion's autographed and has a patch! Much better than just a plain card /25. It's STILL a parallel, same as the flags. They all have the same card number on the back, and consider it what you want, but at the end of the day it's a parallel. It'd be like saying a Certified or Artifacts patch card is a different subset from a Certified or Artifacts base card or emerald or sapphire or gold or whatever colours they have for them.

All The Cup cards with the set number 180 on the back (Causing it to be a parallel, not a unique subset, a subset would have different numbering):
    RPA /99
    RPA /93
    Platinum/Gold /25
    Flag & Auto /5
    Black 1/1

Dominion for card number 188 (RNH):
    RPA /99
    RPA /93
    Gold /25
    Emerald /5
    Black /1
    Four Patch printing plates /4

What's the difference? All of Dominion's include patches and autos, with the exception of the printing plates, which might I add have patch pieces in them and are very cool.

The only one that is 100% true is how long The Cup has been around AND it's price. For anything about "consistency" for Cup RPAs, they have yet to have the same design in back to back years and have dramatic changes over the past couple years. Some other things to consider: Dominion has more /99s (17, Macenauer doesn't count, will get a second /99), and you are guaranteed 1 per case. Cup only has 6 and fall roughly every 5-6 cases or so. The /99s in Cup are harder to hit, and, because it's more expensive per tin, in order to find that /99 you are shelling out a lot more money. Something simple math:

To get a RNH /99 for Dominion, assuming you buy 17 cases and get a different rookie, it will cost you $35,700. ($350/tin)

To get a RNH /99 for The Cup, assuming you get a different rookie /99 every fifth case, which is what they fall, and you get all 6 in 30 cases: $90,000 ($500/tin)

To get one of each rookie patch /99, you'd have to spend $54,300 more in The Cup to get it in a perfect world (mathematicians no duplicates, odds, etc.) world. Take in what they sell for (Averages):
    Cup:
    Scheif: ~$425
    Landeskog: ~$1000
    RNH: ~$2500
    Hodgson: ~$450
    Leblanc: ~$450
    Cooter: ~$875
    Total: ~$5700

$90,000-5700=$84,300 left for the rest of the hits to break even or about 6.3%

Dominion:
    Scheif: ~$100
    Hodgson: ~$150
    Leblanc: ~$150
    Cooter: ~$110
    Johansen: ~$60
    Read: ~$53
    Hagelin: ~$148
    Kassian: ~$44.00
    Larsson: ~$50.00
    Saad: ~$65
    Zibanejad: ~$125
    Colborne: ~$50-75 (Estimate)
    Strait: ~$30
    Henrique: ~$65
    Landeskog: N/A, over $100 (Probably $250ish, maybe more)
    RNH: N/A, over $200 (Similar to Hall, $600 in the first few months)
    Gudbranson: N/A over $40
    Total: ~$2,105

$37,500-$2,105=$35,396 needed from the other cards to make up for the cost, or roughly 5.6%. What does this all mean? The RPAs cover a very similar portion of the costs, with The Cup being slightly higher. What are your odds of pulling an RNH /99? approximately 1:30 in the Cup or 1:17 in Dominion... They are harder to pull in The Cup, therefore, along with The Cup being around longer and having more followers, will have a higher price. End of story.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See flopscards's Items on eBay

Dominion's /99 include Macenauer and Strait. How can collectors care if the company doesn't care about keeping it the best of the best? I pulled a Larsson /99 today and check the checklist to see 10 /99. The Cup has 5, and SHOULD only have 3, RNH, Landy and Couturier (I would have made Henrique a 4th), they are hard as hell to hit, thats why they are so valuable.

I'm pretty sure Vegas said something about Macenauer (I think maybe Strait as well) not counting towards your case hit /99. Dominion has a total of 18 /99s, Cup has 6. I covered it in the post below. They have, per cost of the product, around the same value believe it or not.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

The resale on this overpaid Cup stuff is going to be peanuts in March.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123