Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I don't think that the notion of value taking priority is a particularly new thing. As a kid on the playground I wanted to get all the Patrick Roy cards I could because he was my favourite. In order to get one of his you'd have to give up a cool Gretzky or a couple lesser lights. The scale has of course changed from a matter of a couple quarters or a couple dollars to often many dollars. There's so many more variables out there now - sale values on eBay, Beckett values, the prospecting nature of the hobby, etc. - but it's always been about getting value in return for a deal.

I have found that there's more of a polarization when it comes to trading in recent months. The mid-range cards and cheap stuff seems to have almost no value, while higher-end things seem to carry more of a premium than ever. eBay plays a part in this, I think. How many "$25BV" cards do you see sell for $2-$3 + s/h these days? Many many. A third-year GU card holds as much importance as a sixth-year sticker auto unless a player collector is involved...and the level of importance is often very limited.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Some Noob nonce over on the Hockey Site last month was doing this:

99-00 UD Steve Yzerman 6th Sense Insert - BV - $5.00 Trade Value - $7.00

I did everything I could to run his Punkarse off the site, including cussing him out twice on his thread.

Is it worth cussing someone out over $2? Just don't trade with him. I have seen people do that on Check Out My Cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Why? It's his card, if you don't like his terms ignore him. I might not agree with his terms but if I saw someone cussing him out I'd have two people not to deal with.

I agree with MarcMax and I've said it many times. "value" has changed this hobby. It hasn't ruined it it has just changed it. Gone are the days when a Brown's fan would trade his Andrew Luck RC to a Colts fan for a Brandon Weedon RC straight up because the the Luck is "worth' more. I know a few people might do it with base cards but if its anything more than that its "what else are you going to throw in" I understand it all. I mean If you have a card you could sell for say $100.00 why would you trade it for one you could only sell for $50.00. If you were smart you would sell it for $100.00, buy the other one for $50.00 have your card and pocket $50.00 on top of it but that is buying and selling. If you are talking trading a card you don't want for a card that you will never get rid of (theoretically, which is another problem that I won't go into here) I don't see the big deal.

I have no problem trading in the other guys favor and I know a lot of people don't but its becoming much harder to find someone who does. I know some people feel guilty if a trade is in their favor but I say as long as you don't make it a point for it always to be in your favor it will even out.

I agree fully with you.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

People have become greedier and that's all therer is to it. You can go to any sports card show and any sports card trade night at your lcs and it's always about collectors looking to pick up stuff for a quick buck. Blame ebay, blame society, blame whatever it is. It is hard to find someone that is truly in the hobby just for the passion of collecting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12