Adrian Peterson tops 2000 but misses record by 9 yards

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...ush-2000-yards

Adrian Peterson's remarkable comeback season now has a magic number to punctuate it.

Peterson became the seventh player to rush for 2,000 yards in a season, plowing through the Green Bay Packers for a 20-yard gain that put him over the top in the third quarter Sunday. He finished with 199 yards and a touchdown in the 37-34 victory, leaving him nine yards shy of Eric Dickerson's single-season record.

Peterson needed 208 yards when the day began to break Dickerson's record of 2,105 yards set in 1984. His 26-yard run late in the fourth quarter set up Blair Walsh's winning field goal, a kick that clinched a playoff berth for the Vikings. He'll have to settle for the second-best total -- 2,096 yards -- and a trip to Lambeau Field for a playoff rematch next week.

"Ultimately we got the `W," Peterson said after carrying the ball a career-high 34 times. "We said during the week, if it happens, it happens. Don't focus on it."

Peterson came in 102 yards shy of joining O.J. Simpson, Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Terrell Davis, Jamal Lewis and Chris Johnson in the 2,000-yard club. Peterson is the only one to do it after reconstructive knee surgery.

The Vikings punted a few plays after Peterson's big run, and the crowd gave him a standing ovation when the achievement was announced. Peterson took it all in stride, waving politely, but otherwise not making anything special out of it in a game the Vikings needed to win to make the playoffs. He simply didn't have time to reflect on the long, arduous path it took for him to get there after tearing the ACL in his left knee.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

It sucks he came up short. But I will say look out next season. He could come in completely healthy at the start and break it then, if not be the first back to have back to back 2K seasons. We're in the playoffs and that's what matters now.
    I collect: Marbury, Jordan, Kobe, D-Will, AI, Durantula
    Chicago Cubs, Giancarlo Stanton, Randy Moss, Minnesota Vikings
    MY SITE:Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

dude what do you say about missing that record by 9 yards? geez just one or 2 more runs would have got it. it sucks that he got sooooo close, but didnt make it. thats gonna be hard for even him to duplicate next year. i give him props though cause nobody thought that record would even have a threat of being broken maybe ever.
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

Love seeing team players like AP. He got his wish, a playoff birth.

As a Vikings fan it doesn't even bother me that he came up 9 short, I'm more happy about the playoff spot!!!!

Plus there's always next season and I doubt Ponder will turn into an all-star passer so Petersons just going to have to be Peterson again next season.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting Red Wings Past Present and Future!
    Check out my COMC store below for cheaply priced Inserts/Rookies/and Game Used
    Hidden Content

i wanted him to get it. they may need to get another back for next season to take some of the work load off, he is a beast but still human
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    looking for UGA autos/rcs in college uniform from 2005 - present, and 2009 knowshon moreno donruss elite rcs

am i the only one that thought it was atleast funny that his team thought he broke it and raised him up...then at the end of the game he thought he broke it
    trade site - Hidden Content
    cowboys site that is also for trade
    Hidden Content

It will be hard for him to duplicate this season next yr. A great player. if i were a Vikes fan, i'd rather the team go somewhere than individual stats, etc.

I do not think that he is going to be able to do it again next year. I mean, I would love to see him do it.