Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

* An Official Checklist And Info Thread For Error Cards *

I have been looking at some error cards from the early 90's lately and I thought it might be nice if we had a thread to keep track of the error cards we know about and any information on them.

The most obvious are the ones below but what do you have, what do you know about. When you post in here if possible give the year, brand, and name of the player, what the error is, and a picture if possible.

I'll start it off with maybe the most obvious.

1989 Fleer Billy Ripken Rick Face error and multiple variations.

http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/ripkencard.asp

I also found this when I was looking for the best info on the Ripken cards:

• Other errors and variations in the 1990 Pro Set football set include:

Athlete Error Description Correction Description
    Barry Sanders 1a No ROY trophy on back 1b Shows picture of Barry holding the ROY trophy
    Joe Montana 2a Back reads "Kelly-3,521 yards" 2b back corrected to "Kelly: 3,130 yards"
    Walter Stanley 15a #8 on back 15b #86 on back
    Chris Doleman 18a error back, wrong stats, "Townsent" 18b back corrected to 104.5 sacks for Taylor; "Townsent" corrected to "Townsend"
    Andre Ware 19a no draft stripe on front 19b draft stripe on front
    Mo Elewonibi 20a no draft stripe on front 20b draft stripe on front
    Percy Snow 21a no draft stripe on front 21b draft stripe on front
    Anthony Thompson 22a no draft stripe on front 22b draft stripe on front
    Franco Harris 25a wrong birthdate 25b corrected birthdate 3/7/50
    Jack Lambert 27a wrong birthdate 27b corrected birthdate 7/8/52
    Mike Ditka 59a SMALL FONT for "Hall Of Fame" on front 59b LARGE FONT for "Hall Of Fame" on front
    Rickey Dixon 63a no bio notes under photo 63b bio notes under photo
    Sam Wyche 68a no bio notes under photo 68b bio notes under photo
    Ozzie Newsome 75a wrong hometown 75b corrected hometown: Muscle Shoals,AL
    Johnny Holland 110a no name,number on back 110b corrected
    Perry Kemp 111a Ken Stills photo on back 111b corrected
    Sterling Sharpe 114a says he was born in Glenville 114b corrected birthplace: Chicago, IL
    Andre Rison 134a NO TRADE STRIPE 134b WITH TRADE STRIPE
    Mervyn Fernandez 152a Draft status incorrect 152b status corrected to "Drafted 10th round '83"
    Art Shell 161a Birthdate: 11/25/46 on back 161b Birthdate: 11/26/46 on back, large HOF print in banner on front
    Fred Marion 204a 49ers player with belt 204b 49ers players belt airbrushed out
    Morten Andersen 210a name in white on back 210b corrected (name in black)
    Eric Martin 216a name in white on back 216b corrected (name in black)
    Jim Mora 221a name in white on back 221b corrected (name in black)
    Charles Haley 289a incorrect fumble recovery stats 289b stats corrected to 5 total fumble recoveries
    Ray Perkins 319a no name or position on back 319b corrected
    Chris Hinton 343a no stripe 343b with traded stripe
    Randall Cunningham 386a Small Print On Front 386b Large Print On Front
    Dan Hampton 449a DE on back 449b DT on back
    Kevin Glover 496a C-G back 496b G back
    Wes Hopkins 607a Stat Categories Fumbles and Interceptions in Black 607b Stat Categories Fumbles and Interceptions in RED
    Rod Woodson 626a Red fumble interceptions header) 626b Black fumble interceptions header
    Rod Bernstine 627a position listed as TE 627b position corrected to RB
    Anthony Miller 630a position listed as WR on the back 630b position listed as WR-KR on the back
    Leslie O'Neal 632a position listed as LB-DE on front 632b position listed as LB on front
    Collecting:
    Cincinnati Reds Certified Autograph Cards
    Dayton Flyers Basketball Anything

Hidden Content

Great idea for a thread.

This card I remember being pretty big (I think it was the highest book value in the 1989 Upper Deck set for awhile). The reverse negative card of Dale Murphy. This is the regular version that isn't that limited. Can't find an image of the error right now though.

Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

This is probably the second most famous error card of all time. I would think the Ripken is #1 but this one is a lot more valuable. This card was the most expensive modern day card until 1993 Topps Finest came out.

A collector found out awhile back (and Beckett published the story) that the no name on the front actually occurred because of a print error that left no black over a large area of cards. Most of the cards were of nobodys and the missing black wasn't noticeable except on Thomas where his name was missing. So Topps just go lucky that one of the best players from that era and set had a mistake on it. Most of the speculation beforehand was that Topps did it on purpose but Frank Thomas wasn't as well known as many of the other hot prospects in the 1990 so picking him to make the error of at the time wouldn't have made sense unless you could look into the future.

Maybe the most expensive error card from this era with a copy selling for $1300 last year with damage. The 1990 Mike Witt error card wasn't suppose to be issued in packs but a few slipped through along with checklist cards noting the card being in the set.

Card was pulled real early in production and is basically the only chase for those still holding cases and cases of 1990 Upper Deck. Card has a very low book value in Beckett Magazine though it is almost impossible to find now. It wasn't easy back then either but the combination of low book value and being in a now undesired product means it will likely stay that way.

Why was the Mike Witt card pulled?
    Collecting Texas Rangers autographs
    302/1004 (30%) of all Texas Rangers/Washington Senators players

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dudeidontcare View Post
    Why was the Mike Witt card pulled?
    Don't know for sure but I've heard rumors that the black box is covering up something. Do I believe it? No but I think it gets tossed around because of what happened with the Billy Ripken card.

This is probably one of the most expensive sportflics cards of all time and certainly the most expensive and famous error card the line ever produced. I simple error indicating Robin Yount was a New York Yankee on the back of the card. Rumor has it only a few hundred were made with the print run being as low as only a 100 which was very rare back in the 1980s. In the days of millions of cards being printed just 100 is like finding a needle in a haystack.

The 1987 Donruss Opening Day Barry Bonds error with Johnny Ray pictured is probably the most expensive major league baseball card from 1987. The error card became even more valuable when Bonds set the single season home run mark and the career home run mark. Simple error as they accidentally used an image of Johnny Ray instead of Barry Bonds but it was an error that was corrected early on in the print run so it is very scarce especially given the print run on cards from the 1980s.

The 1989 Fleer set is known for the Billy Ripken error card but this error on the Randy Johnson rookie card took over 10 years for Beckett to recognize in their magazine. The error was somebody took a picture of Randy Johnson and in the background a huge Marlboro sign (they were still in baseball stadiums) showed up. Probably not a good idea to have tobacco advertising showing up on a baseball card. So it was blacked out to correct the mistake. Versions that are blacked out are the common version while the error are "significantly" rarer. Initially listing for $N/A, then $75, and then falling to as low as $25. The checklist has expanded over the years on the RJ rookie to include a red tint and a green tint version as well. Are there more? Who knows but it is kinda mind boggling to think that a rookie card of a HOF pitcher with an error which might be he rarest rookie card was overlooked for so long. Maybe that's because everyone was checking their Billy Ripken cards instead of their Randy Johnson cards.

OPG Baseball Manager

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post

The 1989 Fleer set is known for the Billy Ripken error card but this error on the Randy Johnson rookie card took over 10 years for Beckett to recognize in their magazine. The error was somebody took a picture of Randy Johnson and in the background a huge Marlboro sign (they were still in baseball stadiums) showed up. Probably not a good idea to have tobacco advertising showing up on a baseball card. So it was blacked out to correct the mistake. Versions that are blacked out are the common version while the error are "significantly" rarer. Initially listing for $N/A, then $75, and then falling to as low as $25. The checklist has expanded over the years on the RJ rookie to include a red tint and a green tint version as well. Are there more? Who knows but it is kinda mind boggling to think that a rookie card of a HOF pitcher with an error which might be he rarest rookie card was overlooked for so long. Maybe that's because everyone was checking their Billy Ripken cards instead of their Randy Johnson cards.
    Is this actually listed as an error card? I would think it would just fall into the variation category. After all, it wasn't an actual mistake, just a clear cut case of censorship!
    SuperCollecting 3 generations of Yastrzemski's!
    Hidden Content
    Carl: 556/3390 not including 1/1's (16.4%), Mike: 8/8 (100%), Michael: 10/19 (52.6%)
    Always looking for any memorabilia that I don't have to add to my PC!
    WANTLIST--->Hidden Content

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast