Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    There is a website that does just this, list error cards, but it's far from complete.

http://www.baseballerrors.com/

My personal belief is tint errors shouldn't count as errors at all.

Quote Originally Posted by yazfan71 View Post
    Is this actually listed as an error card? I would think it would just fall into the variation category. After all, it wasn't an actual mistake, just a clear cut case of censorship!
    Depends where you asking if it is listed as an error. Beckett has it listed as an error. I know people don't really regard them as the bible of cards anymore but they still carry a lot of weight in the hobby. Also the Billy Ripken is censored as well and that's an error card.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

OPG Baseball Manager

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    Depends where you asking if it is listed as an error. Beckett has it listed as an error. I know people don't really regard them as the bible of cards anymore but they still carry a lot of weight in the hobby. Also the Billy Ripken is censored as well and that's an error card.
    Wasn't the Ripken just a prank pulled off by teammates? Or was that done in the pre-press stages of manufacturing it?
    SuperCollecting 3 generations of Yastrzemski's!
    Hidden Content
    Carl: 556/3390 not including 1/1's (16.4%), Mike: 8/8 (100%), Michael: 10/19 (52.6%)
    Always looking for any memorabilia that I don't have to add to my PC!
    WANTLIST--->Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by yazfan71 View Post
    Wasn't the Ripken just a prank pulled off by teammates? Or was that done in the pre-press stages of manufacturing it?
    There are two stories I've heard. Prank by teammates and that Ripken swears nothing was on the bat and that Fleer intentionally added it later to boost sales of their product. Hard to say either way because companies did make intentional errors but something on that scale probably wasn't a good business move (though it did end up being one).

OPG Baseball Manager

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    There are two stories I've heard. Prank by teammates and that Ripken swears nothing was on the bat and that Fleer intentionally added it later to boost sales of their product. Hard to say either way because companies did make intentional errors but something on that scale probably wasn't a good business move (though it did end up being one).
    Somehow I don't see either side admitting to it. I just wouldn't consider it an error if it was a prank. Errors in my book are mistakes either by the print shop or the company that supplied the film work.
    SuperCollecting 3 generations of Yastrzemski's!
    Hidden Content
    Carl: 556/3390 not including 1/1's (16.4%), Mike: 8/8 (100%), Michael: 10/19 (52.6%)
    Always looking for any memorabilia that I don't have to add to my PC!
    WANTLIST--->Hidden Content

Another famous error from 1989 Fleer set is the Jeff Treadway Target error. This was the highest priced card in the set minus the Ripken error at the time. As a kid I didn't know who he was or what the error was but like everyone else at the time I wanted to pull one. Turns out the error looks like a blue cross hair slightly above his head. This is probably the most expensive card of Treadway's and still sells well for a non star player card from the 1980s.

Another famous error from 1989 Fleer set is the Jeff Treadway Target error.
    Thanks for posting that, I always wondered what "Target error" meant. I'd always assumed it was another background advertisement like the Randy Johnson Marlboro thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
    Thanks for posting that, I always wondered what "Target error" meant. I'd always assumed it was another background advertisement like the Randy Johnson Marlboro thing.
    Yup before the Internet (really before search engines) I had no idea either. We didn't have Target stores in the region so I always imagined that it was like the archery target on the card as a kid.

One of the most expensive errors from the 1980s was and still is the 1982 Fleer John Littlefield reverse negative error cards. Kind of a lame error but it was corrected early in the print run and because of that is very rare compared to the print run of 1980s baseball cards. Last I checked it booked for $100 and still sells for around $25-$35 depending on the condition. Still a great price for a player who really never accomplished much from a non collectible set.

This error has the position of 3B on the front compared to the corrected version. Another pretty standard error especially compared to the 1989 Fleer set. But it was still a great seller back when it came out and still lists for $8. Doesn't seem like much now but the card is from 1990 Score....not much was happening in the set before or now. Tons of the stuff was made and you can probably score the card for 99 cents on eBay.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast