Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

Seeking input on how to respond to seller

OK, I'll post this here before I fly off the handle on this guy. Seller: ultimate_auctions_llc

I won two 99-cent auctions from him on Oct 2 and as I usually do, I took a look at his other auctions to see if I could make the shipping worthwhile. He staggers his auctions throughout the week, which can make it tough to know when to cut off activity and make payment, but I went ahead and placed a few more bids and sent the following message:

Dear ultimate_auctions_llc,

Hello! I've won two auctions today but am still looking at a few more ending the next couple of days...will send payment after they are done and we'll see if I win more! Thanks! Paul

- gallinator

No response from the seller, so I figure he is OK with that and go on my way. The last batch of bids ends tonight, but I get the following message from the seller earlier today:

Dear gallinator,

Hello just a reminder that your payment is due for the items you won last week please pay asap thanks

- ultimate_auctions_llc

Hmmm...I know he sells a lot of items, so I figure he's just not seeing my other bids and send the following response:

Dear ultimate_auctions_llc,

Understood - I've actually got bids on several more of your items ending today...please see how it ends up and invoice for all wins - I will pay tomorrow or Wednesday. Thanks for your patience!

Paul

- gallinator

To which he sends:

Dear gallinator,

Ok but keep in mind that we only combine for 5 days everyone tries to push it and it's ok one time other than that we put up over 100 new items a week and there is always going to be something else someone wants. So next time remember 5 days then payment is due no exceptions, stick to your word and pay by tommorrow or wednesday at the latest thanks for understanding and good luck.

- ultimate_auctions_llc

Yikes! The thing is, there is no mention of a 5-day period for combining shipping in his auction terms. If there were, I wouldn't have bid so far out. I know I can be a little sensitive sometimes, but this seems to cross the line in its aggression and assumption that I am going to...not pay? He seems to think he is doing me a favor in relaxing an unadvertised policy - but I'd better not do it again! LOL

Of course, after this I'll never bid on any of his items again and I'll pay for these as soon as the invoice is generated, so I can get it over with.

My question is, what kind of feedback would you leave, if any? He's currently at 99.8% and I'm at 100% - I don't really want to neg him over this but I am strongly tempted to leave a neutral; however, I am afraid he might retaliate with a neg. I don't sell a lot on eBay, but enough that I don't want to have any negs on record.

Opinions? Anyone here dealt with him before?

Thanks for reading!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (359)
    Country

Seriously? Neutral or negative? Even without getting your items in yet. What if he included a few extras plus a $100 bill :) Okay, an extreme example, but TO ME....a negative would be plain and simply not getting anything you paid for. A neutral would be like receiving a damaged card and the seller just saying "tough cookies." I get that this person rubbed you the wrong way and maybe should have been more clear in their auction terms and descriptions, but they weren't unprofessional -- plus FIVE days, despite not being outlined to you until you asked, is NOT an unreasonable amount of time. If you pay when you say you will, and receive your cards free of damaged or a note that says **** off....that deserves nothing less than a positive.

SCF Rewards
    Country

My question is, what kind of feedback would you leave, if any? He's currently at 99.8% and I'm at 100% - I don't really want to neg him over this but I am strongly tempted to leave a neutral; however, I am afraid he might retaliate with a neg. I don't sell a lot on eBay, but enough that I don't want to have any negs on record.

Opinions? Anyone here dealt with him before?

Thanks for reading!

How do you receive a negative on eBay as a buyer?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

You can't assume a seller is going to be OK with your idea if he hasn't responded. As well, what does Ebay allow before NPB claim can be filed...3 days? I always asume I have to pay before NPB claim date if no timeline is listed in the auction, combined shipping or not.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

Maybe eBay has just changed so much that I've failed to keep up with it. Can sellers no longer leave negs for buyers?

Do people really think that a seller shouldn't feel a need to respond to an inquiry, especially when his auction terms are so threadbare? It's not like I didn't read the policy - it wasn't there to read in the first place! Doesn't it make sense to welcome more bids on items rather than fewer bids? Should I not be concerned about this seller's unfriendly attitude?

I didn't indicate that I would neg him - I wouldn't for something like this - but I do feel a neutral is warranted due to his rudeness. I view this the same way as I do in dealing with a retail store - if I encounter rudeness or attitude, I don't come back - and I tell others about the experience. That's how we do it on eBay, too - or at least, it used to be the way we do it. Maybe I'm just too old for this sh!t.

Anyway, thanks for the input!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

The seller absolutely should have responded. But the lack of response should not have been taken as a "green light" to go ahead. For example...I just asked a seller tonight how much his shipping was to Canada. Simple question that should get a simple answer. All I got in return was that he will ship, but accompanied by some ambiguous nonsense that didn't give me a cost at all. So, I won't bid. I won't assume what the cost will be and bid...I'll just stay away.

And as far as the Neg, it is pretty much an unwritten rule that it should take something pretty nasty to go wrong before you should leave a neg or neutral. Poor communication and/or a misunderstanding doesn't really cut it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See reoddai002's Items on eBay

As a sometimes seller on eBay, I can point out a few things that might help you understand their position.

The moment an item sells, a seller's account is credited with a final value fee for the item. Once an item gets paid for, they will get his with a s/h final value fee, but in between the end of the auction and the actual payment is made, that fee is sitting on your account. The only way to get it back is to open a non-paying bidder case. once its open, you also have to remember within 4 days to mark it as closed to actually be credited your fee, otherwise you will still have to pay that amount. Not to mention that you'll have to re-list your item.

eBay suggests something called an "unpaid item assistant" and a seller can set it up to turn on automatically. Maybe he just set his up to start after 5 days and doesn't bother to advertise it. I know that I don't say in my listings "oh and after 7 days, I open a non-paying case against you". That doesn't exactly help sales now does it.

Also, for the eBay account you are buying from, it looks like they do consignment. Maybe you bid on an item and they are waiting to pay the person who put the item on consignment with them. PLus, there's no guarantee that there's only one person in charge of the eBay account. Someone may have seen your message and then promptly forgot.

As for their strict 5 day policy, they probably have to deal with lots of late payers and can't easily identify you as someone who will definitely pay. Ever since eBay stopped sellers from leaving negative feedback, how can a seller know if you are really a good buyer or not? Sure, you have 100% FB, but so do all buyers.

I wouldn't ding them in FB. Maybe a 4 instead of a 5 on communication, but as long as you get your cards in a timely manner there's really nothing to complain about IMO.

Cheers,
    reoddai

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See icefields02's Items on eBay

seller may have been preoccupied with work/family matters and just didnt have time to respond to your initial email

i have been known to leave a positive feedback but with a explanation such as....
    nice cards, seller was difficult to deal with
    or
    item received, but communications were poor on sellers behalf.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 13stepper's Items on eBay

I don't see anything wrong with the sellers response. Buyers on EBay have this unrealistic sense of entitlement and expect the sellers to crouch at their feet.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 13stepper's Items on eBay

But to add to this, look The response I just got from this seller. He has this card listed:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_1812wt_922

here is the correspondence

Dear factorydirectcards,

Why do u have this listed as a 1/1?

-13stepper

This is the response:

Dear 13stepper,

If you can read it says #/5 and how many O and K's are in the word reebok?
    Im pretty sure "1", wouldnt that be the only "1" like it? And if you knew
    much about this card that is #/5, there isn't any other 1 that has the
    reebok logo in it. The other 4 cards have tag patches in them laundry tag
    ect... And why do you care? You must care alot to take the time and message
    me, pretty weird. You must be a really jealous person, there wouldn't be
    any other explanation.

-factorydirectcards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast