Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

how would you guys feel about a bill showing your home address and your name being allowed as id?

I understand the claim about it being a poll tax. But I also think it is ridiculous for someone to just be able to walk up and say "I am john doe" and they get to vote. I would think even those who oppose voter id laws would agree with that. So, would a bill showing your name and address be a compromise? You aren't having to pay anything to vote. I don't think it is possible to live somewhere without a single bill in your name.

* I know this is not the be all end all solution. it leaves a large gap for college students and a few other groups but would it be a step in the right direction? (it may not, i haven't really thought it through, just typing as I think)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

how would you guys feel about a bill showing your home address and your name being allowed as id?

I understand the claim about it being a poll tax. But I also think it is ridiculous for someone to just be able to walk up and say "I am john doe" and they get to vote. I would think even those who oppose voter id laws would agree with that. So, would a bill showing your name and address be a compromise? You aren't having to pay anything to vote. I don't think it is possible to live somewhere without a single bill in your name.

* I know this is not the be all end all solution. it leaves a large gap for college students and a few other groups but would it be a step in the right direction? (it may not, i haven't really thought it through, just typing as I think)

Not a good idea. What about someone who lives in the house but none of the bills are in their name? For example one spouse may have better credit and therefore puts everything in his/her name. Besides the voting place already sends a card for you to bring in to the polling place. This card is collected at the time you cast your ballot so that you can only vote 1x.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

Not a good idea. What about someone who lives in the house but none of the bills are in their name? For example one spouse may have better credit and therefore puts everything in his/her name. Besides the voting place already sends a card for you to bring in to the polling place. This card is collected at the time you cast your ballot so that you can only vote 1x.

i agree. like I said, just typing as i think.

ok, for those against voter id laws...removing the "poll tax" from the equation, are you comfortable with the fact that people can vote without any proof of who they are or where they live?

SCF Rewards
    Country

i agree. like I said, just typing as i think.

ok, for those against voter id laws...removing the "poll tax" from the equation, are you comfortable with the fact that people can vote without any proof of who they are or where they live?

To be honest I am comfortable with the voting laws (w/o the ID requirements) just the way that they are. The issue of people voting fraduently is downright non existant. I am more uncomfortable with electronic voting machines that can easily be rigged for one particular canidate or party. I mentioned that once and someone said that's why we need a voter ID law. That would be akin to having your engine blown out on your car going to your mechanic and him giving you a bandaid instead of fixing your car.
    Last edited by mrveggieman; 10-12-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

so if you have to be clothed to vote it is a poll tax? if you need to drive there, is the gas and vehicle a poll tax? you are not purchasing a special device to vote, you are showing your ID which you should have already.

what do these people do if they are stopped by police and asked for ID? how do you cash a check? how do you write a check?

and i cannot believe you guys are saying i am stereotyping, when you constantly post that this is a way for romney to win, why? because only poor none republicans don't have ID's? that's stereotyping.

and how about any of you go to your local community center and watch the people who get free food and clothing, then come back here and tell me what you saw.

just so you know our community center is one block north of my house, and I help there, go there for work related things, and go past it several times a day.

people are driving (need an ID), people are in cars nicer than mine (kind of strange and need an ID and insurance), people have nicer shoes on than I own (kind of strange) and most are smoking when they pull up, yes MOST. if you can smoke you can afford an ID!!!!!!!

i bet most of you do not have any experience with or interaction with the people you are talking about (the poor), while I interact with them on a daily basis, and have for nearly 20 years now. oh by the way i work for a non-profit, so yes I am involved with our community and work with the poor everyday.

SCF Rewards
    Country

so if you have to be clothed to vote it is a poll tax? if you need to drive there, is the gas and vehicle a poll tax? you are not purchasing a special device to vote, you are showing your ID which you should have already.

what do these people do if they are stopped by police and asked for ID? how do you cash a check? how do you write a check?

and i cannot believe you guys are saying i am stereotyping, when you constantly post that this is a way for romney to win, why? because only poor none republicans don't have ID's? that's stereotyping.

and how about any of you go to your local community center and watch the people who get free food and clothing, then come back here and tell me what you saw.

just so you know our community center is one block north of my house, and I help there, go there for work related things, and go past it several times a day.

people are driving (need an ID), people are in cars nicer than mine (kind of strange and need an ID and insurance), people have nicer shoes on than I own (kind of strange) and most are smoking when they pull up, yes MOST. if you can smoke you can afford an ID!!!!!!!

i bet most of you do not have any experience with or interaction with the people you are talking about (the poor), while I interact with them on a daily basis, and have for nearly 20 years now. oh by the way i work for a non-profit, so yes I am involved with our community and work with the poor everyday.

None of what you are talking about matters. You are not buying your car, clothes, gas from the gov't but you must buy an item which in this case is an ID which can only be purchased from the govt in order to vote. It is a poll tax no matter how you slice it or bring up other actitivies which have absolutely nothing in the world to do with voting. Nice try though.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Why not have a separate "voter I'd" one gets when one registers. I've never been against voter I'd laws, so long as it's not a voter tax. What I don't agree with is one group claiming it's not a problem but it needs to be fixed anyway and then turning around and admitting it's all for the purpose of stealing an election.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

If they don't charge for IDs, you're right. Personally, I have no problem with needing ID to vote, what I don't like is the reason this suddenly being called a problem. It is a tactic meant to take votes away from the Democrats and allow the Republicans to win. That's kind of sick, really.

How can it be a tactic to take votes away from Democrats? The only way that what you are proposing is possible is if illegal immigrants are casting votes for Democrats. If Democrats are knowingly providing an avenue for illegals to vote then they are conspiring to commit voter fraud.

And it isn't "suddenly a problem". Republicans have been supporting a voter ID law for about 20 years now. It has just become more of a problem since the Dems took office and want to use it as a scare tactic to divide the country.

Bingo!! Also I don't hear any of the republicans screaming fraud in absentee ballots for people who generally vote republican or for those rigged election machines that helped GWB steal the elections in 2000 and 2004. Or what about the voter intimidation by Jeb Bush in Florida? No we all know what this is about. The republicans are making up a solution for a problem that never existed. Their real goal is to suppres votes of minorities who likely will vote for President Obama. This is really sick and it saddens be that such blatent racism can still occur in 2012. SMH.

Blah blah blah...the elctions in those years are A) old news and B) have been confirmed by the Supreme Court. You are like a stuck record.

What sickens me is the constant use of the term "racist" to attack anything and everything that the liberals disagree with. It seems to me that Democrats would be able to grasp the concept that voters, gays and Muslims are not a race of people.

You are free to post whatever the hell you want. I was being fecetious. It dosen't matter if the ID cost $6, 6 cents or $6,000 what part of it being a poll tax don't you get?

A poll tax is a fee to vote. An ID is not a fee. And since ID's are required to do everything from cash a check to rent an apartment to get into a government building I find it highly unlikely that anyoner who wishes to vote will not have one. This "pay to vote' angle is just one more patheticly weak attempt to defend a defenseless position.

Just once I would like Dems to finally be honest and admit that they oppose voter ID laws because they want Obama re-elected even if it is by illegal votes.

And Shrew, it doesn't matter if everyone can afford it, it's the government making you pay for a constitutionally held right. Last I checked, it doesn't matter if it's $6 or $6000. Make people pay to exercise a right is just wrong.

Funny. I own a handgun yet the government makes me pay to take a class and pay for a permit to carry it, even though the 2nd Amendment says that I have the right to keep and bear arms. I have yet to hear a single Democrat complain about the government forcing me to pay to exercise my right.

Proof of residence and proof that you are a resident with rights and protections under the Constitution are two different things. Utility companies and landlords do not ask for birth certificates or Social Security cards before they turn on the electric or gas or cash the rent check. Give me 30 days and I can provide a bill from Canada or Mexico showing that I paid for a utility there, but it won't make me a legal resident of that country.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Duane, it's a tactic because Republicans have outright said the purpose is to keep Democrat voters from voting. They've said outright it's purpose is to deliver certain states to Romney. They've admitted in person voter fraud is all but non existent and the only area with anything that can be called a problem is absentee voting. Way more Republicans absentee vote, so they don't touch the laws for that, where the real problem is. No, instead they try to fix the problem they readily admit doesn't exist. And which groups are affected most by this? Students, minorities and the elderly, aka the Democrats' voting base.
    They're not even trying to hide what they're doing, trying to negate thousands if not millions of votes, and you're actually okay with that?

Like I said, I don't have a problem with ID laws. It just seems to me you guys don't need them (so the government is trying to run everything, something I though Republicans were against) and the reason, manner and time Republicans brought this up proves they really don't give a crap about rights and freedoms, just winning the big game.

You do have a point on the gun bit.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Oh and to all conservatives, the past is relevant. That argument is getting stupid, especially when Clinton gets brought up as he does.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast