Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    ive slowed up a lot recently mainly through a lack of people willing to mail to me in england so makes it difficult, plus im now earning less money so have less to spend, i got in early and got 2 rg3 autos a star rookie one and his elite totc so now im just picking up a few of his rookie cards to build a small pc of him.

i think there are too many products out there as well, sometimes less is more

I think buyers and sellers are just sick of each other.
    Collecting Robin Yount

Quote Originally Posted by duwal View Post
    I also know that a lot of sports card collectors have kinda of leaned more to the non-sports card side as it is really gaining popularity and as a whole people can get more bang for their buck compared to what regular sports card products do nowadays
    Sad but true! More bang for the buck is right. I don't know anything about non sports cards but my LCS which is a massive nationwide dealer says that's where the money is at and traffic follows the money!
    Hidden Content

Find these Bill Dudley inserts and make big $$$
    Dudley Autos: 230 and counting!
    I don't care if you need a week to ship! Perspective.

It's a cycle, and the hobby seems to be slowing down in a lot of regards. Over in hockey, there's an NHL lockout and a recent massive deluge in products (11 since August, many high-end) that is slowing things down considerable. As I look at the posts in this thread, there's seemingly a saturation point being reached. Hot players are still attracting interest (hello Kaepernick) but for players who have been in the NFL for 4-5 years already what is "new" coming from Panini/Topps to keep people attracted to their PC players?

There are still some great cards out there to be had, but at least at this time of year you also have to factor that people are focused on holiday present buying and that can further restrict their discretionary spending on cards. That $25 auto may make you happy, but you could also buy something nice for the wife or kids with that money and make them happy.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 200 Unique Cards + 8 1/1's!!!

Also collecting: Subban, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, and many retired legends!

Quote Originally Posted by rednecksims View Post
    Does anyone do the FB or Youtube trading and how it works and how is traffic on it? Seems those would just be full of scammers. Its hard enough on moded boards to keep it from happening.

David
    No one used Facebook/Twitter for trading but You Tube is fairly popular..

Quote Originally Posted by RG3NFL View Post
    No one used Facebook/Twitter for trading but You Tube is fairly popular..
    Problem with youtube and facebook is that you don't have the protections that you get here. Check out what happened to me here:
    http://transformersobsession.blogspo...-groups-i.html

As one mod told me here a bunch of the folks in those facebook groups are folks banned from here and other larger sites.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content IF YOU SMOKE PLEASE TELL ME Before Trading!!
    My Chris Henry by the numbers Items: 811 OWN: 423 52.2% MEM: 307 OWN: 152 49.5% AUTO: 395 OWN: 175 44.3% Ser #'d: 711 OWN: 343 48.2% RC: 38 OWN: 37 97.4% I TRADE BY BV. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgehenryCollec View Post
    Problem with youtube and facebook is that you don't have the protections that you get here. Check out what happened to me here:
    http://transformersobsession.blogspo...-groups-i.html

As one mod told me here a bunch of the folks in those facebook groups are folks banned from here and other larger sites.
    ^^^^ Yeah a lot seemed to have been banned or have MSF tags on other sites.
    Hidden Content
    Thanks to all that I've dealt with!

All good points in this thread, guys! To me, I think we're heading to the same situation as we were in the 90's. It's just becoming too much. Too many lower quality, yet overly priced sets from all the companies. Every sets has the same old game/event used, same rookie autographs, and then about 4 or 5 different parallels to the base set. Especially during a time when people are watching their money. Throw in the idea that a lot of the "collectors" here are in it for the money, it just spells disaster for us collectors. Don't get me wrong, I think we all get excited to potentially sell a nice hit, but we're not about the money, we're about the hobby.

It'll sort itself I suppose...
    I do not use Paypal.
    Photobucket: Hidden Content
    E-A-G-L-E-S... EAGLES!

Quote Originally Posted by TPotts View Post
    All good points in this thread, guys! To me, I think we're heading to the same situation as we were in the 90's. It's just becoming too much. Too many lower quality, yet overly priced sets from all the companies. Every sets has the same old game/event used, same rookie autographs, and then about 4 or 5 different parallels to the base set. Especially during a time when people are watching their money. Throw in the idea that a lot of the "collectors" here are in it for the money, it just spells disaster for us collectors. Don't get me wrong, I think we all get excited to potentially sell a nice hit, but we're not about the money, we're about the hobby.

It'll sort itself I suppose...
    A couple years ago I wrote an article for the site, you can read it here: http://www.sportscardforum.com/artic...t-has-arrived/

It's mostly hockey-oriented but I would imagine that you can sub in relevant football references as well.

In sum, too much of everything - new saturation is wider instead of deeper, so take out what works from bad products and instead just make a few great products.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 200 Unique Cards + 8 1/1's!!!

Also collecting: Subban, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, and many retired legends!

Quote Originally Posted by RGM81 View Post
    A couple years ago I wrote an article for the site, you can read it here: http://www.sportscardforum.com/artic...t-has-arrived/

It's mostly hockey-oriented but I would imagine that you can sub in relevant football references as well.

In sum, too much of everything - new saturation is wider instead of deeper, so take out what works from bad products and instead just make a few great products.
    Believe I read that a while back, but re-read it. Very well written article by the way!! Can't agree more with the cutting of several products. Also like the idea of combining releases into one with the subsets and such. Although I could see some downfalls to it too
    I do not use Paypal.
    Photobucket: Hidden Content
    E-A-G-L-E-S... EAGLES!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast