Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Another Gretzky RC Check

Hi folks,

This Topps Gretzky RC has been PC'd since I bought it back in '95 for $200 from a reputable card store but I'm still unsure if it's legit. It's in an Ultra Pro magnetic and it looks a little wavy in there (I'm pretty sure it's the right size). I compared it to my other '79-80s and the coloring is correct. It does contain a few white circular print spots that others don't have. The dot next to the 'C' may look a bit different but maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me. The faint discoloration at the top of his name is from the magnetic holder.

Any knowledge that anyone can provide from these scans is much appreciated, I know they're not the best.

Last edited by gfel2795; 12-02-2012 at 03:31 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ari4l2010's Items on eBay

It's missing the dot on his shoulder which leads me to believe that it may be a counterfeit.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Isn't the dot exclusively O-Pee-Chee? This is a Topps edition.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

That's a horrible set of scans. Darker than the inside of a crow.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See reoddai002's Items on eBay

Sadly, the images are gone, but I still have the links and text:
    http://www.beckett.com/estore/news/?...beckett&a=3088
    http://www.beckett.com/estore/news/?...beckett&a=3109
    http://www.beckett.com/estore/news/?...beckett&a=3137

Some quick notes about your image. Its too dark to check the ice or the card. Its also out of focus (Front side image at the top). If you really want people to inspect it you need very high resolution, well lit and close ups of the ice, the player name, the team name, Gretzk'y skates on the front of the card, the Oilers logo, all four edges and corners and the back.

Cheers,
    reoddai

By Beckett Grading Services Staff
    Undoubtedly, the key counterfeit in hockey is that of the Great One - Wayne Gretzky's 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee Hockey Rookie Card.

This card has been forged numerous times, but usually poorly enough that it can be spotted quickly. We will discuss three of the key types over the next few weeks.

The Type I fake is an example of a fairly simple rescreening, which gives the card the appearance of being photocopied. The black lines will be composed entirely of multi-colored print dots, while they should be solid black ink. The lettering and design elements are fuzzy and blurry, particularly Gretzky's name. Unlike the Type III fake, which we will review at a later date, the letters of Gretzky's name are not outlined in purple dots on this sample, however the stair-step appearance to the letters remains. All areas of text on this card show problems with print-dot designs, whereas the Type III version partially cleaned up the borders and some text elements.

As on most Gretzky fakes, the ice is not composed of sporadically speckled light blue print dots. On this Type I card, particularly at the bottom and top areas of the ice, the blue dots are interspersed with numerous red dots.

The back of the card is much cleaner than a real OPC card. The samples we have seen are usually oversized, but these could easily be cut down to standard size. Edges may or may not look like typical rough OPC edges.

Next week, we'll look at the Type II Gretzky OPC fake, which is much better than the Type I, but still has some simple checkpoints.

By Beckett Grading Services Staff

Undoubtedly, the key counterfeit in hockey is that of the Great One - Wayne Gretzky's 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee Hockey Rookie Card. This card has been forged numerous times, but usually poorly enough that it can be spotted quickly. Last week, we looked at the Type I fake, which is an example of a fairly simple rescreening. This is the second in a three-part series on various counterfeit versions of Gretzky's OPC RC.

The Type II fake is much better than the Type I, but still has some simple checkpoints. Overall, the card has a very silky appearance, and weighs just a touch on the light side. OPC cards can vary greatly in weight, ranging from 1.55 to 1.75 grams. The counterfeit weighs 1.50 grams. The edges are cut fairly smoothly, leaving a very lightly fuzzy appearance, but still not as choppy as most normal cards from this set.

Several other graphics goofs can be spotted on this card. The white t-shirt above Gretzky's right shoulder has light lines running through it horizontally. But perhaps the easiest way to spot this one is in the ice. A genuine card (pictured at right) has ice that is sporadically speckled with very light blue print dots. On this counterfeit, under magnification, the ice is composed of an uninterrupted and bold pattern of multicolored print dots.

Next week, we will conclude with a review of the Type III counterfeit, perhaps the best of the Gretzky fakes, and appears to be the most recent.

by Beckett Grading Services Staff

Undoubtedly, the key counterfeit in hockey is that of the Great One - Wayne Gretzky's 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee Hockey Rookie Card. This card has been forged numerous times, but usually poorly enough that it can be spotted quickly.

This week, we look at the third and final fake in our three-part series.

The Type III counterfeit is perhaps the best of the Gretzky fakes, and appears to be the most recent. This card is still commonly sold at card shows, particularly across Canada, as a reprint. However, since the card is not marked "reprint", once it gets into the hands of a customer, it can easily be passed off on an unsuspecting buyer.

Luckily, the card still has some simple checkpoints. Overall, the card has a sharper appearance on the front than the other counterfeits, but the back text appears much blurrier as the letters are composed of small print dots.

On the front of the card, the first spot to check is Wayne's name. The name text is the blurriest part of the card, as the normally sharp letters have a stair-step appearance. Looking at the card with a loupe, the letters are outlined lightly in dark purple print dots, which do not appear at all on the original card. These purple dots are also scattered throughout the blue borders of the counterfeit, but are not on the original.

The second major giveaway on this one is in the ice. A genuine card has ice that is sporadically speckled with very light blue print dots. On this counterfeit, under magnification, the ice sprinkled with red dots, particularly around Gretzky's left skate.

It would seem almost sacrilegious - especially in Canada - to ever forge anything of The Great One, but apparently is has happened…numerous times. With a little knowledge, hockey collectors can steer clear of these fakes and appreciate Gretzky and his real cards for what they both are: true originals.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Folks, this is the Topps RC, not the commonly well-known O-Pee-Chee.

The Topps RC doesn't have the same tells as the OPC rookie - your best bet would be to submit it to BGS or PSA for grading/authentication.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Best to send it in for grading and authenticating.
    I COLLECT HIGH END TRUE AUTO RCS OF LEBRON JAMES, GIANNIS, TOM BRADY, CONNOR MCDAVID & SIDNEY CROSBY.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Topps Gretzky Fugazys are notorious for being printed on uber thin card stock. So if a Gretzky rookie has has a delicate thinness to it, unlike the others in the set, it's a 100% fake.