Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

SCF Rewards
    Country

Just something to add to this thread is how some dealers at card shows expect to sell their cards when they price them more than 2x more than what they sell for on ebay. I mean I understand trying to make a quick buck, but where is the realism here? I live in Toronto which is almost 90% hockey collectors and that's not an exagerration. This means that anything that isn't hockey at the card shows is ridiculously over priced in the hope that the other sports fans that do frequent them want the card badly enough so they overpay for it ridiculously like I mentioned.

I see this all the time. As a collector and honest person, if I were to set up shop at a show, I would not try to make that huge a profit and most likely I would just sell my cards at a fair price. My question is why do these types of dealers even bother putting their cards for sale, when deep down inside they know they won't sell them and if they do isn't there any guilt knowing that they ripped someone off?

I saw a Brandon Belt Museum card. It was nice with a 4cl patch auto, but it was /270 and sells for maybe $20 and that's with the Giants in the world series. His asking price was FIFTY DOLLARS. I thought he said 15 at first and when he repeated again and said it had a 4 cl patch, I walked away. I was checking out his other cards a bit too and all of them were overpriced and the only stuff he sold were things from his common bin. Unreal.

Another very true statement. And it does not only happen in Canada, I see it all the time. I think they believe the card they have in their possession is the Holy Grail. What a joke.

...Rick

SCF Rewards
    Country

There are three things that I gather from reading through forums such as this. The first is that most of the people who are primarily sellers think buyers are cheap and only want to rob them and most of the buyers think sellers are crooks who want to rob them. The second is that people who buy and sell think their cards are always fairly priced and other peoples cards are way over priced. The third is that people who trade think their cards are gold and the other guys cards are crap. Now I know that is not the case with everyone so before you go getting all upset with me keep in mind they are generalizations. I am not pointing to anyone specifically and the fact that these comments are in this thread does not necessarily mean that it reflects on anyone else who posted here.

If you are a seller you have to keep one thing in mind. It's the buyers money. He can choose to spend it however he wishes. If he doesn't want to spend $50.00 for a $20.00 card that is his business. Heck, if he doesn't want to spend $10.00 on a $20.00 card that is his business. It doesn't always mean he is a cheapskate who doesn't know what a card is really worth. If you are not selling cards for the prices you think they are worth you can do one of two things, keep your cards priced where you have them and keep them or lower the price and sell them. It's really that simple. If it kills you to have to sell a $50.00 card for a $25.00 offer then don't but don't complain that you can't sell when you have had offers.

If you are a buyer you have to keep one thing in mind. They are the sellers cards and he can price them at whatever he wants. People say they understand this all the time but they constantly complain about it as if they really don't understand. That doesn't mean that you can't think the guy is stupid for pricing his $20.00 card at $50.00 but it doesn't mean that he should lower his price just for you either just because you happen to know its only worth $20.00. I see things actually selling for far more than I think they are worth all the time so who is to say you are right. Just like the seller you have two choices. If you can't get the cards you want at the price you want to pay you can either live with a smaller collection you can pony up a bit more cash and get them. Again, it is really that simple.

If you are a seller and your prices are fair they will sell assuming they are in demand. Maybe not to the first guy that comes by but if they are fair they will sell. If they are not selling maybe your prices are not really that fair after all. If you are a buyer and your offers are fair you will get your card eventually. maybe not from the first guy but someone will be willing to sell you the card at your price. If no one is willing to sell at your price maybe its not such a fair price after all.

I sense a lot of frustration on these boards and that is a shame because hobbies are supposed to be relaxing.
    Last edited by sschind; 10-28-2012 at 10:31 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Some nice points there Steve. I also noticed that a lot of sellers use the rule that 50% of beckett is a fair price. Now this is something that was valid maybe 10-15 years ago, but obviously it doesn't apply to all cards now. This may be fair for big money cards, but even in that case it's usually high. Thankfully most of the dealers I deal with are negotiable and this entire pricing thing is why I only deal with people that are fair in person and online.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thankfully most of the dealers I deal with are negotiable and this entire pricing thing is why I only deal with people that are fair in person and online.

That's the key. If you want fair be fair and deal with those you think are fair. Those sellers who are charging too much or those buyers who want to low ball you are not fair so its safe to ignore them and not deal with them. Keep in mind though that there may be several different levels of transactions going on based on what everyone thinks is fair.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

That's the key. If you want fair be fair and deal with those you think are fair. Those sellers who are charging too much or those buyers who want to low ball you are not fair so its safe to ignore them and not deal with them. Keep in mind though that there may be several different levels of transactions going on based on what everyone thinks is fair.

I also noticed that it is much easier to deal with dealers when you have higher end stuff and it's the mid and lower end stuff that dealers over price lol if that makes any sense. Some dealers also specialize in lots of game used, autos and rookies and in that case the price is usually pretty fair as well depending on how attached you are to your lot.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234