Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

When and which cards to get graded

I just started getting cards graded thru beckett.Just looking for all opinions what kind of cards are best to get graded.I know rookies,1/1's and rare low make cards but anything else like out of the ordinary type cards?Any input is appreciated

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I usually grade my high-end rookies such as Trout or Harper, and I also grade anything that is low serial-numbered or a nice autograph.

I've heard that grading 1/1's or printing plates is a bad idea because it devalues that card if it's anything less than perfect because there's just one in existence. Some printing plates are fairly worn anyway...on the edges for example.

I personally like the look of graded game-used cards too.
    Last edited by MarcusMaximus06; 10-22-2012 at 01:55 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @yazfan71

You have to watch sending in any game used with really nice patches in them though as they have a tendency to not grade them fearing the patch is fake. After my last 2 submissions it also appears that any vintage card that they have never graded before probably won't either. I'm still waiting to see the reasoning behind the last one that I sent in!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yaz funny you say that I did 3 orders with beckett with 2 dilemmas.My first order I had an Isiah Thomas jersey card 57/58 relic from topps 2009.This card looked great and came back a 5 grade.Hard to egt rid of that one.I then submitted on my third order 1957 topps hank aaron and roberto clemente cards.The aaron came back 4 which was about right but the clemente came back ungraded with a seal stating the card seemed to be tempered with??? Now it does not look it to me but funny they did not grade it still charged full price.Thats why i want you guys opinions I grade some for my PC and some for future trade or resale but it looks like i should just stick to PC

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Yaz funny you say that I did 3 orders with beckett with 2 dilemmas.My first order I had an Isiah Thomas jersey card 57/58 relic from topps 2009.This card looked great and came back a 5 grade.Hard to egt rid of that one.I then submitted on my third order 1957 topps hank aaron and roberto clemente cards.The aaron came back 4 which was about right but the clemente came back ungraded with a seal stating the card seemed to be tempered with??? Now it does not look it to me but funny they did not grade it still charged full price.Thats why i want you guys opinions I grade some for my PC and some for future trade or resale but it looks like i should just stick to PC

Actually, that is all I ever send in to get graded is PC. So far I've had one from the Cape Cod Baseball League, CCBL, which is a summer league for college players come back as having a shaved edge. But when I look at it through my printer's glass I see nothing to indicate that there is anything at all wrong with it. The second one that came back was a 1970 Dayton Daily News, which is basically a newspaper clipping. Beckett themselves lists these cards in their checklists of the players included, but apparently just because they know they exist isn't good enough, because they apparently will not authenticate them!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I will keep this in mind.I wa shocked I have a Kobe Bryant $100 phone card from my PC they actually graded a 9.5.I had not seen any in their database that had been graded before.Guess I will be rolling the dice when I get the old or odd graded.Thanks for your input

SCF Rewards
    Country

IS PSA as picky as beckett?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

IS PSA as picky as beckett?

Personally, I have never sent into PSA as I think the cases are inferior. I have heard reports of GU & auto cards coming back as "questionable authenticity", so I guess the answer would be yes. I think the news reports of fake jerseys being sold to the card companies have them baffled.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well thats a blow to a bit of my PC collection.I obtained a few nice jersey cards but i think I will hold off getting them graded

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Well thats a blow to a bit of my PC collection.I obtained a few nice jersey cards but i think I will hold off getting them graded

I would think if they are just one or two color you should be ok, most of the ones I have seen get the "questionable authenticity have been elaborate patches with lots of color.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast