Bit of a Noob Question re: Upper Deck RC's & Hard-Signed Autos (see Post #6 please)

As many of you guys know I'm primarily a hockey collector - with the NHL lockout having no seeming end in sight, I am starting to look more and more at collecting football. I've rekindled my love for the San Francisco 49'ers (helps being back here on the west coast) and I've been thinking of starting a secondary PC for Alex Smith before he leads the team to Super Bowl glory and values skyrocket even higher.

One thing that I was looking at was getting an RC or two of his, and a couple of things surprised me:

1. His Leaf Certified RC can be found for like $10. As a comparable to hockey, that's ridiculously cheap for a guy that's leading a Super Bowl contender and came within an OT punt return fumble of possibly going to the big game last year. Commons in hockey sell for that price.

2. This was the big one - his UD RC sells for $5. In hockey, the Upper Deck rookie card -- the Young Guns rookie from the staple set -- is one of the most important RC's out there for any player. Given Smith's status, I would have expected it to be a $40-$50 card at a minimum (similar to Carey Price) but then I noticed that just about any UD RC is like that. Did they not go the extra mile to SP the RC's (1:4 packs) or give them a special designation?

Or, is this just a larger thing where many RC's just have very different statuses? I did see that Smith's Playoff Contenders auto RC sells for over $100 (not too many hockey RC's doing those numbers these days) and a couple others of course do very well, but these more common low-to-mid end rookies seem to hold much less value. I know that we hockey guys are "different"/"special" but I was nonetheless surprised to see that there's relatively little attention paid to "true RC's" in football.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 201 Unique Cards + 8 1/1's!!!

Also collecting: Subban, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, and many retired legends!

I don't have an answer for you but I've wondered the same thing. I've only recently come back to the hobby and from a football card standpoint it seems that rookie cards don't sell for much or have that much demand. It seems that the focus and want for most collectors are the auto rookie cards. It is hard to really dive into the hobby and collect your favorite player. (Mileage may vary of course.) For me, it is Aaron Rodgers. I have a bunch of his rookie cards that I bought off EBay for relatively cheap. (Under $10) I'd really like his auto rookie cards, but they hundreds of dollars each. I just can't justify that expense so to be honest I've been looking at branching off to baseball. I've always liked Clayton Kershaw and can get his auto rookie cards for around $25! I don't know if it is the shorter season, shorter careers, or position scarcity, but football seems to be price heavy for certain cards. If you don't have those certain auto rookie cards, then you won't get much for resale value. This is just from my view point, which is 2 months of collecting again while being out of the hobby for 20 years, so take it for what its worth.
    Sports enthusiast. Green Bay Packer and Milwaukee Brewer fan.
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing.” - Vince Lombardi
    Fan of Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Braun, and Clayton Kershaw - Kid K!
    Bucket, everything always for sale/trade Hidden Content

that's just how football works. Base rookies don't hold much value unless they are graded 9.5 or 10. With that being said I would look for his topps chrome and chrome refractor rookies. Those have better market value and hold their value much better. Football is auto heavy with rookies now. The only others that have any value are graded cards and chrome rookies. Chrome is a great way to start it. Relatively inexpensive but still nice with decent value. Hope this helps a little. This is just one of the frustrating things about football cards.

chrome and low numbered inserts work great for a start :-)
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

In my opinion, there are still base "True RC" cards worth buying. Some are autos, some not, but as the guy above me posted in Football auto true RC is king. Chrome Refractor non-auto is 2nd (imo). I'd most definitely buy these Alex Smith RCs if you're looking to get his most desirable cards without breaking the bank.

1) Chrome Base RC - cheap
    2) Chrome Refractor RC - I haven't checked but should be well under $40
    3) Contenders RC Auto - This is probably above $40, but is one of the most desired sets year after year.
    4) His UD Ultimate RC Auto is a sweet looking card! On-card auto and I believe it is numbered to #/99.

His eTopps card is pretty cool looking too imo.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Alex-Smith-San-Francisco-49ers-2400-Limited-Etopps-Card-In-Hand-/221116469937?pt=US_Football&hash=item337b9192b1&nm a=true&si=l8Ucm1oJN1n%2BaU5acV9QAEgPSQw%3D&orig_cv ip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Cheers!

EDIT: Woah, I hadn't looked at his Contenders for awhile, but it looks to be well over $125+. My bad on above guessing of prices. I had his Summer of 11 and sold it for $45. lol
    Last edited by Helmutt; 10-30-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Always looking for Aaron Rodgers!!! (since 2007)
    Football: Packers, NFC North Players and QB True RCs
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I have definitely noticed that there's a HUGE gap between the base RC's and the autographed RC's. It's a very noticeable polarization relative to what one may see in other sports, where though the autographed RC's are still popular there are a number of solid-selling mid-level rookies as well that bring value & affordability to lower-end collectors.

Thank you to Helmutt for the good little list there - I will make it a point to go out and get these at some point.

I was able to get a couple of pretty nice GU cards yesterday as well - a nice Smith/Willis GU for $4 shipped and a cool Limited patch for $10. Nice way to get things up and running.

Also collecting: Subban, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, and many retired legends!

Another question - what products offer on-card autographs? I've been looking at a lot of stuff lately and seeing a lot of stickers but not too many hard-signed signatures.

In hockey, people complain pretty regularly about sticker autos and really urge on the card makers to produce as many hard-signed products as possible. Is this not as much of an issue with football?

Quote Originally Posted by RGM81 View Post
    2. This was the big one - his UD RC sells for $5. In hockey, the Upper Deck rookie card -- the Young Guns rookie from the staple set -- is one of the most important RC's out there for any player. Given Smith's status, I would have expected it to be a $40-$50 card at a minimum (similar to Carey Price) but then I noticed that just about any UD RC is like that. Did they not go the extra mile to SP the RC's (1:4 packs) or give them a special designation?
    This is a hockey only thing. In hockey everyone wants the Young Guns rookies but in other sports the Upper Deck rookies aren't really that collected versus a comparable brand. I don't think SP them makes a difference because I remember when 1998 Fleer Ultra for football and 1997-98 Fleer Ultra for basketball had SPs and they were hot for like a year or two. Now you can pick up all the players for cheaper outside of Peyton Manning.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content