Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

50 Best Hockey Minds in NHL History

When looking back at the history of the NHL, there are many ways for somebody to be considered a great hockey mind.

Some players can make this list for the ways they changed the way the game was played on the ice.

Coaches can make this list for introducing innovations, changing the style of play or just winning so many championships that other teams copied their style and the game changed.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...istory/page/51

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

Many of the names you would expect to be there... can't say I agree with the order, though.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

The most glaring omission, aside from Howie Meeker of course;p, is Detroit GM Ken Holland who has kept the Red Wings near the top for almost 17 years...only in the last few years have a few organizations caught on to his style and have started to copy it...on the other end of the spectrum, Mike Keenan, he didn't help win a cup in NY, Messier and a lot of ex Oiler's did...he is notorious for yelling and screaming at players, but notorious shouldn't be confused with great. also, Harry Sinden? notoriously cheap and responsible for keeping a rather wealthy organization mediocre for years, it is no coincidence that the Bruin's Finally won another Cup soon after he left!
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I can see why he would be off the list, but I think Bob McKenzie deserves to be on there, for sure. If we're talking "hockey minds", his has been that of perhaps the best hockey journalist of his era. Name a player or coach even who doesn't take what Bob has to say seriously?

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

One of the stories I've heard told a few times about that 1994 Rangers team..... Keenan spent the better part of the year singling out Brian Leetch, ripping him (in front of the rest of the team) for every little mistake, and telling him (along with the rest of the team) how badley he wished he could trade him for Chris Chelios.

If you recall, Leetch led the playoffs in scoring, and won the Conn Smythe. I doubt he and Keenan are particularly close friends.... I would suspect Leetch was happy to see him gone the following year.... but I think Mike knew exactly what he was doing, and recognized the right buttons to push on Leetch to get him to take his game up a level.

Not saying that he's one of the top 50 minds in the game (if this article was written in the 1990s he probably was, but those days have passed him by) but I don't think anyone should discount the fact that he was a very effect coach.

The most glaring omission, aside from Howie Meeker of course;p, is Detroit GM Ken Holland who has kept the Red Wings near the top for almost 17 years...only in the last few years have a few organizations caught on to his style and have started to copy it...on the other end of the spectrum, Mike Keenan, he didn't help win a cup in NY, Messier and a lot of ex Oiler's did...he is notorious for yelling and screaming at players, but notorious shouldn't be confused with great. also, Harry Sinden? notoriously cheap and responsible for keeping a rather wealthy organization mediocre for years, it is no coincidence that the Bruin's Finally won another Cup soon after he left!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

ok, thanks Raven ;P

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See exittheme's Items on eBay

Andy Bathgate for creating the reason for a goalie mask.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Andy Bathgate for creating the reason for a goalie mask.

He was mentioned in the article:

In addition to his excellent play on the ice, Mikita changed the game of hockey by helping to introduce (along with Andy Bathgate), the banana blade, a stick curved so much that the puck would move in unpredictable ways, making it hazardous and more difficult for goalies to stop the puck.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See 08hockey08's Items on eBay

I'm always interested to see lists like this regarding anything hockey. However Gary Bettman at number 16 I totally disagree with! Say what you will he has done lots to grow the BUSINESS side of hockey but I honestly think that he knows about as much as a 8-year old about the sport of hockey. As far as great HOCKEY minds go he shouldn't even be on the list.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I also agree that Harry Sinden and Gary Bettman are almost the antithesis of this list. How they ended up there, and so high, makes me wonder. Glen Sather, too. I could rip on these three guys for days, and still have room left for more.

Mooneyes... my first comment was entirely about Bob McKenzie, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. In fact, I think your assessment of Harry Sinden is how I look back on him as well. Without Harry Sinden, I might not be able to appreciate Peter Chiarelli so much. I think he's done a fantastic job in Boston, and not just because he fleeced Burke in the Kessel trade, which, as a Leafs fan, I'm sure I will hear about for the rest of my life, no doubt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast