Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I really dont know now

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See masonraymond0320's Items on eBay

even if there are big names in ud 1 (which i dont think there will be), value for ygs always go down, and you pretty much have to trade it right away if you want a decent card. ygs never go up. Look at stamkos. His yg has been at $50 for FOREVER even though he's been number 1, 2 or 3 on the scoring charts for like 2-3 years in a row now. tavares yg was 70-$80 during rookie season. now its at like $25..bad investment overall..id only open for the fun of it but not if youre thinking of trading your hits afterwords.
    Last edited by MasonRaymond0320; 11-02-2012 at 12:02 AM.
    Hidden Content
    I collect: Adam Larsson, Mason Raymond and Matt Duchene

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 416gibby's Items on eBay

Option D save your money until they start playing

Pick a older set and build it through trade on this forum ....that is the way I am leaning

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators
    See atmx093's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

C: Panini all the way.

I've lost all my faith in UD's abilities to innovate in the hobby. When's the last time they came out with something really new? And please don't get me started on those video-capable things in Cup... That's not innovation, it's a 10 year old iPod nano with functionality for only ONE thing.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

What do you want from the product?

All three will be close to the same price point.... so I don't think it's going to be an issue of cost. You'll end up with more Auto / GU content if you buy the certified, for sure. You know what you're going to get with UD and Black Diamond though... the boxes will be configured pretty much the same as they were last yaer.

If the lack of quality rookies means you think you won't get good value out of those products now - well, I won't argue with that.... but its not like Certified is going to have great rookies either.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jogesc2's Items on eBay

Option D save your money until they start playing

Pick a older set and build it through trade on this forum ....that is the way I am leaning

+1

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Too many people came into this hobby because they were Wow'd. Don't end up like all of them expecting greater and greater things each year, because you will be disappointed.

When I began collecting, boxes contained 48 or 36 packs per box, no fewer. Twelve (12) or Ten (10) cards per pack. Now collectors with their spoiled and needing to be WOW'd attitudes, are seeing boxes with 5 and 6 cards and being charged $200.00 plus more for them than they were even 6 years ago.

There is no value in the hobby now, just a fashion show that cannot last, with counterfeiters and dishonest buyers on a grand scale. North America's last vestige of honesty, the hobby of Sports cards, has careened off the road and down the mountainside, and has joined the NHL at the bottom of the ditch.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See flopscards's Items on eBay

What do you want from the product?

All three will be close to the same price point.... so I don't think it's going to be an issue of cost. You'll end up with more Auto / GU content if you buy the certified, for sure. You know what you're going to get with UD and Black Diamond though... the boxes will be configured pretty much the same as they were last yaer.

If the lack of quality rookies means you think you won't get good value out of those products now - well, I won't argue with that.... but its not like Certified is going to have great rookies either.

They actually have the rookie redemptions (much like Artifacts/how they did it in Basketball with the Limited and Gold Standard Rookie Autos). They pulled it in their QC case.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jmlalala's Items on eBay

UDS1 could actually be a steal if the price drops low enough (which it probably will). i remember when 08-09 S1 was going for $45 at one point, which was ridiculously low for that year, and would even be a pretty good deal for this year as well. Kreider, Bartschi and Schwartz will be the top 3 to chase

BD looks the same except for the base auto variations which look really sweet. i'm a huge fan of BD but looks very hit and miss this year considering the possible RC's, a lot of those Quad's are gonna be terrible

Certified looks really good this year imo, would personally go after this if it's around the same price point

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

I'm sort of inclined to side with those who are suggesting that perhaps the best course of action would be to save your money and not buy any of those products/boxes at all. I would add that with the current market being such a buyer's market right now, especially with regards to picking up singles, and with the added frustration of the boxes being the same prices as previous years with a more-than-disappointing rookie crop to back it up, the time has never been better or more appropriate for buying singles.

Let me make a suggestion as to how you might spend that money on singles and still make it somewhat of a randomized experience (the thrill of the box break). Make a list of your favourite players, or maybe even a specific kind of card, such as "auto rc /999 or less" or "YG RC of top name" as an entry... whatever floats your boat. Put all of those entries into a random generator and see what 1-3 names/card types it gives you. Then, divide your money up and see what you can find out there for that/those names/cards. At the end of it all, you end up with 1-3 cards that you'll be very happy with, that you didn't necessarily specifically set out to acquire from the get-go, and you won't have to worry about your box being a bust. Just a suggestion, you could, of course, cater it to your own preferences (going with more than 3 guys, for example).

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with this year's products. I think it's foolish to think that Kreider/Schwartz + co can hold down an entire year's worth of products on their own as a rookie crop and justify the usual prices on products. I would want the companies to spice things up to make it worth my while to give me a reason to invest in anything 12-13 as it stands right now.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

BUT, if you can't resist the temptation to buy a box, my vote would have to be for Certified right now. My rationale is because of the vastness of what there is to find in Certified, definitely not because it offers the first auto/gu RCs of the season. For me, it's the rarer sub-sets that make Certified a treat.

Check out this Legends Auto sub-set I put together from the 10-11 release of Certified. There's no way I'd be able to put something similar together if I was looking at UD1 or BD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast